Expat Hotel Diner

MarcTwoSix

Does anyone remember this place?

I tried to find pictures but I couldn't

It was an old, not fancy at all diner in front of the Expat Hotel

I wonder if an American owned it because it felt like an American diner
Had a huge variety of western food

Nothing spectacular

When I lived in Patong, if I didn't go out some nights I'd peint out a bunch of sport page articles at the internet shop(way before smart phones or wifi) and go down there late night
I don't think there was ever another customer present

I loved that place....food was not even that great

Moo Uaon

MarcTwoSix;439899 said:
Does anyone remember this place?

I tried to find pictures but I couldn't

It was an old, not fancy at all diner in front of the Expat Hotel

I wonder if an American owned it because it felt like an American diner
Had a huge variety of western food

Nothing spectacular

When I lived in Patong, if I didn't go out some nights I'd peint out a bunch of sport page articles at the internet shop(way before smart phones or wifi) and go down there late night
I don't think there was ever another customer present

I loved that place....food was not even that great
Sounds like you're talking about PI BM Crusty's place Fawlty Towers? it was right in front of the Expat.
Often use to go there for a feed,drink and yak with Crusty. Food was good and yes rarely many others there if any.

MarcTwoSix

Moo Uaon;439902 said:
Sounds like you're talking about PI BM Crusty's place Fawlty Towers? it was right in front of the Expat.
Often use to go there for a feed,drink and yak with Crusty. Food was good and yes rarely many others there if any.
No Crusty's was before the expat

This was actually part of the Expat Hotel
A building to the right as you walked into the hotel
In front of the pool, basically

Moo Uaon

MarcTwoSix;439903 said:
No Crusty's was before the expat

This was actually part of the Expat Hotel
A building to the right as you walked into the hotel
In front of the pool, basically
Yeah,one of the Hashers owned and ran that.
Did go there a couple of times but mainly Crusty's.

A Belgian guy use to have Montes out on Pisitkoranee Road that i use to go to a lot. His 200 baht bbq buffet was mouth watering.
The ribs and potato salad were brilliant. Was a fav old eating spot when i first moved there....had my 50th BD there actually.

MarcTwoSix

Moo Uaon;439904 said:
Yeah,one of the Hashers owned and ran that.
Did go there a couple of times but mainly Crusty's.

A Belgian guy use to have Montes out on Pisitkoranee Road that i use to go to a lot. His 200 baht bbq buffet was mouth watering. Was a fav old eating spot when i first moved there....had my 50th BD there actually.

Yeah at the end of Nanai
When you came around a bend it was right in front of you

Didn't it move to Rat-U-Thit across from Holiday Inn or am I thinking of another big farang bar down there?

Moo Uaon

MarcTwoSix;439905 said:
Yeah at the end of Nanai
When you came around a bend it was right in front of you

Didn't it move to Rat-U-Thit across from Holiday Inn or am I thinking of another big farang bar down there?
From what i've seen on the net it closed up around 5 years ago and still in the same spot.Not actually Nanai but Nanai runs off the road it's on Pisitkoranee.

MarcTwoSix

Moo Uaon;439907 said:
From what i've seen on the net it closed up around 5 years ago and still in the same spot.Not actually Nanai but Nanai runs off the road it's on Pisitkoranee.
Yeah
Ao used to live by there
On that very small last street on the left before you got to the busy street going up to the hill out of Patong

Moo Uaon

MarcTwoSix;439910 said:
Yeah
Ao used to live by there
On that very small last street on the left before you got to the busy street going up to the hill out of Patong
Would've been a mookata/bbq buffet place right there on the corner too? went there many times and 99 baht back then.

do ron

Is Ned Kelly’s still in operation ? Close to the junction of Nanai and Soi Banzaan

My go to place for tasty inexpensive Thai food .

bacwaan

I used to like The Grill Hut for Tex-Mex going way back when it was on Soi San Sabai...very handy back then

I followed it for years as it moved about...it was up near Rob's old joint The Playhouse on Ratty after that and a few years back it was up near the elephant camp on the road over to Kata/Karon

It wasn't sensational but it was always tastey...I loved their breakfast burritoes with refried beans..great hangover cure...

not sure if it is still a going concern?

Stillearly

I stayed at the Expat on my 2nd and 3rd trips in the early 90's - the hotel bar and restaurant was decorated with HHH T shirts back then as well

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;439931 said:
I used to like The Grill Hut for Tex-Mex going way back when it was on Soi San Sabai...very handy back then

I followed it for years as it moved about...it was up near Rob's old joint The Playhouse on Ratty after that and a few years back it was up near the elephant camp on the road over to Kata/Karon

It wasn't sensational but it was always tastey...I loved their breakfast burritoes with refried beans..great hangover cure...

not sure if it is still a going concern?
It was actually called BBQ Hut

And yes it moved all over.

Another place I used to print out the Boston sports pages and go eat
Actually ended up on that street going to Expat for a bit also

bacwaan

MarcTwoSix;439943 said:
It was actually called BBQ Hut

And yes it moved all over.

Another place I used to print out the Boston sports pages and go eat
Actually ended up on that street going to Expat for a bit also
55..yeah of course...I always used to get the name mixed up....there was a Grill Hut in patong as well....German Style iirc....might have been spelt something like Grill Hutte...55

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;439965 said:
55..yeah of course...I always used to get the name mixed up....there was a Grill Hut in patong as well....German Style iirc....might have been spelt something like Grill Hutte...55
Yeah I remember that place

I think the main spot for BBQ Hut was at the end of Rat-U-Thit before it bends left to Karon

And right before was that big farang bar
It was quite popular but can't remember the name

Bullies maybe, or something?