Expat or Immigrant

jontymate

I would never call Thailand home. The simple reason is I would always be a guest. Terms like ex pat ...repatriation can have connotations of being forced by circumstance. Language is not my skill but many are there to live a lifestyle because of the exchange of money value. That is attractive surely.

My view is a term is not definitive of you...

chelski

I have lived in Australia for over 35 years and have an Aussie Passport. If anyone ask me what I am, I am English, live in Australia, but have an Aussie Passport. Ask all the Aussies who live in London what they are, they are Aussies who live in London.

Would I ever support the Auusie's against England, not a fcuking chance. You would get the same response from the Aussies in London, they would never support England against the Aussies
Still remember the 2003 Rugby World Cup, what a day here in Perth, our pub went mental when we won. You would have never believed you were in Australia.

Those Brits (whatever country they live in), who turn traitor should be hung up at the Tower of London on their return for their next holiday and made an example of.

It is like all the Londoners that support Manchester United & Liverpool (Traitors Again). It is that bad, they have to put directions football programs for all the Londoners to get up to Manchester or Liverpool to support the enemy. They must have been all the thick kids who never passed Geography at school.

Smart ones like us catch the train when we go on away matches. It has a bar and much more comfort. Get a cab to the ground and then back to the station. No scungy motorway cafes and fights with all the proper Northerners on their way back home after another loss in the Capital.

Quarky

Administrator
chelski;317844 said:
I have lived in Australia for over 35 years and have an Aussie Passport. If anyone ask me what I am, I am English, live in Australia, but have an Aussie Passport. Ask all the Aussies who live in London what they are, they are Aussies who live in London.

Would I ever support the Auusie's against England, not a fcuking chance. You would get the same response from the Aussies in London, they would never support England against the Aussies
Still remember the 2003 Rugby World Cup, what a day here in Perth, our pub went mental when we won. You would have never believed you were in Australia.

Those Brits (whatever country they live in), who turn traitor should be hung up at the Tower of London on their return for their next holiday and made an example of.

It is like all the Londoners that support Manchester United & Liverpool (Traitors Again). It is that bad, they have to put directions football programs for all the Londoners to get up to Manchester or Liverpool to support the enemy. They must have been all the thick kids who never passed Geography at school.

Smart ones like us catch the train when we go on away matches. It has a bar and much more comfort. Get a cab to the ground and then back to the station. No scungy motorway cafes and fights with all the proper Northerners on their way back home after another loss in the Capital.
I'm English born but support NZ against England... in rugby... 55

I have a passport for both countries... but really don't really consider myself a Kiwi or English person. I just am...

MarcTwoSix

chelski;317844 said:

But do feel any Australian pride?

I am the same as you, will always be American living in Canada but I definitely have Canadian pride also.
I'd never root for Canada over US in a any sport but am definitely rooting for Canada in any other match

I feel extremely connected to Canada and I think would moreso if I had a child born here who would be Canadian

chelski

MarcTwoSix;317846 said:
But do feel any Australian pride?

I am the same as you, will always be American living in Canada but I definitely have Canadian pride also.
I'd never root for Canada over US in a any sport but am definitely rooting for Canada in any other match

I feel extremely connected to Canada and I think would moreso if I had a child born here who would be Canadian
Marc26, I love living here, do not get me wrong, and there are a lot of things that I think the Aussies have over the Brits, but deep down you are always what you are. You were born English, and to most, they always will be.

The Aussies are just as patriotic if not more sometimes, than us, and I respect that a great deal. They would never ever support England V Australia or at least admit it if they did. 55555
I did not go home for 25 years, and after the 1st few days there, it was as if I had not been away. But the weather and people doing much the same as they did before I left, validated the reason I left in the 1st place, and grew to like it here.

Australia is my home now and will probably be until I die, but till that day comes, I will always be English, pure and simple, and that is not meant as being disrespectful to Australia, it is a fact that will never change.

MarcTwoSix

chelski;317862 said:
Marc26, I love living here, do not get me wrong, and there are a lot of things that I think the Aussies have over the Brits, but deep down you are always what you are. You were born English, and to most, they always will be.

The Aussies are just as patriotic if not more sometimes, than us, and I respect that a great deal. They would never ever support England V Australia or at least admit it if they did. 55555
I did not go home for 25 years, and after the 1st few days there, it was as if I had not been away. But the weather and people doing much the same as they did before I left, validated the reason I left in the 1st place, and grew to like it here.

Australia is my home now and will probably be until I die, but till that day comes, I will always be English, pure and simple, and that is not meant as being disrespectful to Australia, it is a fact that will never change.
25 years wow.
I haven't lived full time in Boston since I was 19yrs old, so 26 years and I think the longest I have not been back is 7months!

If I go more than 4 months between visit that seems a lot

Mick

Distantpeak;317845 said:
I'm English born but support NZ against England... in rugby... 55

I have a passport for both countries... but really don't really consider myself a Kiwi or English person. I just am...
Similar…. I can claim nationality to three countries, and have passports for two, but don't really give a hoot….. and have lived long periods with "Non-Imm" status in other countries. I am, and don't have much time with the nationalistic pride thing, and the jingoism it gives rise to.

When I watch rugby I just want to see a decent spectacle, and may the winner be the best side on the day. That being said, the All Blacks usually do provide a good show, have a worthy winning record, and come back quickly from the odd loss.

MarcTwoSix

Mick;317888 said:
Similar…. I can claim nationality to three countries, and have passports for two, but don't really give a hoot….. and have lived long periods with "Non-Imm" status in other countries. I am, and don't have much time with the nationalistic pride thing, and the jingoism it gives rise to.
I don't know.....I'd feel sort of lost being like that.
I haven't lived at home since I was 19yrs old but still have maintained all my relationships since I was 4-5yrs old.

It gives you, well me, a sense of belonging.

I think I have really good friends here in Vancouver, I'm real lucky how good they are, but they just can't ever get to the level that my friends at home are.

My best friend is a very good DJ at home. Gets paid 2k-2500 per gig, is a resident DJ at a club in Boston.
Texted him yesterday and told him I need him to DJ my nephew's graduation party.
I have zero hesitation to even ask him to do that.

But I'd never ask something like that of my friends in Vancouver or Thailand.

I love that I now have friends from all over the world. That has truly made a huge impact in my life but they just can't ever replace the guys I have known for 35-40yrs.
People who were there when my mom died and my brother died

Obviously it's different for everyone but I just don't know how people don't want to maintain that connection

PeteGill

Mick;317888 said:
I am, and don't have much time with the nationalistic pride thing, and the jingoism it gives rise to.
You should be shot according to some 555
But totally agree, Whilst pride in your nation and your roots are important. They should never overshadow your ability to discern right from wrong...

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;317892 said:
I don't know.....I'd feel sort of lost being like that.
I haven't lived at home since I was 19yrs old but still have maintained all my relationships since I was 4-5yrs old.

It gives you, well me, a sense of belonging.

I think I have really good friends here in Vancouver, I'm real lucky how good they are, but they just can't ever get to the level that my friends at home are.

My best friend is a very good DJ at home. Gets paid 2k-2500 per gig, is a resident DJ at a club in Boston.
Texted him yesterday and told him I need him to DJ my nephew's graduation party.
I have zero hesitation to even ask him to do that.

But I'd never ask something like that of my friends in Vancouver or Thailand.

I love that I now have friends from all over the world. That has truly made a huge impact in my life but they just can't ever replace the guys I have known for 35-40yrs.
People who were there when my mom died and my brother died

Obviously it's different for everyone but I just don't know how people don't want to maintain that connection
To me it's great to have a connection... an affinity.. it's when it takes on the "My country is better than yours" mantra that I step aside. When I hear anyone saying something like.. "Make America great again, (Or should that be grate again.. 55) America first" etc... I shake my head... it's like when parents think their kids are better than everyone elses... no... your country, your kids are special to you... but that's it... enjoy it... but no need to keep reinforcing it to everyone else.
I enjoy the All Blacks because of the way they play.. nothing parochial about it.. I don't get the same feeling watching NZ football or cricket... in fact in cricket and football I enjoy watching other countries more... I just like watching excellence... no matter who it is... 55

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;317912 said:
To me it's great to have a connection... an affinity.. it's when it takes on the "My country is better than yours" mantra that I step aside. When I hear anyone saying something like.. "Make America great again, (Or should that be grate again.. 55) America first" etc... I shake my head... it's like when parents think their kids are better than everyone elses... no... your country, your kids are special to you... but that's it... enjoy it... but no need to keep reinforcing it to everyone else.
I enjoy the All Blacks because of the way they play.. nothing parochial about it.. I don't get the same feeling watching NZ football or cricket... in fact in cricket and football I enjoy watching other countries more... I just like watching excellence... no matter who it is... 55
Oh, I agree with you........"America is the greatest country in the world" makes me cringe and not that I have heard regular people say it much in conversation............on the rare occasion someone has said it, I always reply "America is one of many great countries"

I enjoy watching good sports outside my teams...........sports is on my TV 24/7 but I couldn't imagine just rooting for the sport and not

I do have a dilemma though..........Boston sports teams have been really good for the last 15-16 years, especially our football team.
And we have become the most obnoxious fans ever...............people take 100% of their identity from their sports, again especially the football team

And then it's hard for me in Vancouver........so many "Pats fans" because they always win, so if I am out watching the game I doubt 90% really know the team or liked them before they have won

Ian Forbes

I was born in Canada, My parents were born in Canada, and my grandparents came from Scotland and England. So, I'm a "commonwealther" all the way, but a Canadian first. If I were to choose any other country to live in it would be New Zealand because of the people and my interests.

As much as I enjoy Thailand during our Canadian winters, I could never make it my home. There are several reasons for that. #1. Thailand doesn't want me and makes it difficult for me to even contribute to the country. I could never purchase land or even become a contributing citizen with a business or career here. #2. It is lacking many of my interests. #3. I just prefer Canada more because of my interests. As much as I enjoy certain parts of the USA, I wouldn't want to be there either.

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;317943 said:
Oh, I agree with you........"America is the greatest country in the world" makes me cringe and not that I have heard regular people say it much in conversation............on the rare occasion someone has said it, I always reply "America is one of many great countries"

I enjoy watching good sports outside my teams...........sports is on my TV 24/7 but I couldn't imagine just rooting for the sport and not

I do have a dilemma though..........Boston sports teams have been really good for the last 15-16 years, especially our football team.
And we have become the most obnoxious fans ever...............people take 100% of their identity from their sports, again especially the football team

And then it's hard for me in Vancouver........so many "Pats fans" because they always win, so if I am out watching the game I doubt 90% really know the team or liked them before they have won
So what you are saying is...we need someone else to dominate super bowl for a while.. so you can appreciate another team... 55

It's a shame that the US apart from basketball and hockey doesn't play many team sports that other countries play to the same level... baseball and Grid Iron... bit like Aussie Rules or Gaelic Football... very parochial... then again.. maybe that's a good thing.. it would be a real bastard for the rest of the world if the USA loved soccer and rugby... 55

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;317948 said:
So what you are saying is...we need someone else to dominate super bowl for a while.. so you can appreciate another team... 55

It's a shame that the US apart from basketball and hockey doesn't play many team sports that other countries play to the same level... baseball and Grid Iron... bit like Aussie Rules or Gaelic Football... very parochial... then again.. maybe that's a good thing.. it would be a real bastard for the rest of the world if the USA loved soccer and rugby... 55
Actually baseball is very much played/followed outside the US.........just not it Europe and Australia

Latin American and Carribean it is huge, as well as a lot of Asian countries

I'd say baseball is #1 sport in Japan, and Korea and Tawaiin very popular also

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;317950 said:
Actually baseball is very much played/followed outside the US.........just not it Europe and Australia

Latin American and Carribean it is huge, as well as a lot of Asian countries

I'd say baseball is #1 sport in Japan, and Korea and Tawaiin very popular also
Sounds almost as big as cricket :grinner:

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;317955 said:
Sounds almost as big as cricket :grinner:
I don't really care how big it is but your comment was incorrect and believe me, if an American made such an incorrect comment like that.......BM's would have their panties in a bunch.

Baseball is definitely not a US only sport ....
I'd say the only sport that is US only is American football

All the rest are played in many parts of the world

Quarky

Administrator
I am happy to be educated...

Does the US play other countries at baseball? Is there some sort of world championship?

Though your post makes me think you miss the point of my post... I was saying it's a shame that the US isn't a major player in the world's big team sports (Soccer and Rugby world cups are the biggest international sporting events outside the Olympics) because if they were, I am sure they'd be one of the best if not the best... in them...

Z

Zablive

Distantpeak;317957 said:
I am happy to be educated...

Does the US play other countries at baseball? Is there some sort of world championship?

Though your post makes me think you miss the point of my post... I was saying it's a shame that the US isn't a major player in the world's big team sports (Soccer and Rugby world cups are the biggest international sporting events outside the Olympics) because if they were, I am sure they'd be one of the best if not the best... in them...
USA have competed in 10 FIFA World Cups reaching the semi-finals in 1930 ...

Quarky

Administrator
Zablive;317960 said:
USA have competed in 10 FIFA World Cups reaching the semi-finals in 1930 ...
I mustn't be making myself clear if I am even confusing you... 55

Soccer is not the national sport of the US... neither is rugby... if these sports were the equivalent of Basketball and NFL... then imagine how good they would be...

But I think my point is lost because of having to re-explain it... 55