Expat or Immigrant

Ian Forbes

I can never understand the bickering over professional sports... "my country is better than your country BS". Or, "my city is better than your city BS". Professional players go where the money is. There is very little loyalty when it comes to money.

Soccer is popular for one reason and one reason only... It can be played anywhere at any time of the year. It only takes a ball. One of the greatest players ever, Pele, started playing with a bunch of rolled up rags tied together with string. Nobody mentioned hockey that is Canada's national sport, and is played all over northern Europe and North America. That is because of all the equipment needed and a flat sheet of ice to play on. Rugby is for Neanderthals who want to legally bash someone 555

Quarky

Administrator
Ian Forbes;317962 said:
I can never understand the bickering over professional sports... "my country is better than your country BS". Or, "my city is better than your city BS". Professional players go where the money is. There is very little loyalty when it comes to money.

Soccer is popular for one reason and one reason only... It can be played anywhere at any time of the year. It only takes a ball. One of the greatest players ever, Pele, started playing with a bunch of rolled up rags tied together with string. Nobody mentioned hockey that is Canada's national sport, and is played all over northern Europe and North America. That is because of all the equipment needed and a flat sheet of ice to play on. Rugby is for Neanderthals who want to legally bash someone 555
I mentioned hockey...55

Ian Forbes

Distantpeak;317963 said:
I mentioned hockey...55
As per usual, I think we wandered a long way off the topic of expats or immigrants. 555

Lets face it, as blokes we follow the sports we grew up playing... where ever we came from. I'm a west coaster in Canada, and we seldom have enough ice to play outside. Hockey equipment is expensive, and to have it sitting idle for all but one week a year is not practical, so most of us wet coasters played other sports. For me it was Canadian football, similar to the NFL.

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;317957 said:
I am happy to be educated...

Does the US play other countries at baseball? Is there some sort of world championship?

Though your post makes me think you miss the point of my post... I was saying it's a shame that the US isn't a major player in the world's big team sports (Soccer and Rugby world cups are the biggest international sporting events outside the Olympics) because if they were, I am sure they'd be one of the best if not the best... in them...
https://www.worldbaseballclassic.com

And as I said....... American football is really the only major sport that would be parochial.

We play soccer, we just aren't that great on the men's international level and I get your point that if our best athletes played soccer than the US would likely be very good.

MarcTwoSix

Hatari;317966 said:
Tough competition... I wonder who might win
Who do you think will win?

I assume you were being facetious....And obviously think the US.

Well Japan has won twice and Dominican Republic one once and heavy favorite again this year

The US has only made it to 4th place once....

DR, Puerto Rico, Venezuela have as good or better players than the US
And Japan and So Korea have many players that play in MLB

Hatari

^ no I wouldn't have any idea. So I'll go with Cuba
I knew it was strong within Japan, but didn't know they were competitive internationally. In NZ news last month three players from Japan's NPB have been holding coaching clinics in NZ.
My guesses pool A Sth Korea, B Cuba, C USA D Venezuela
But I won't be betting on it!

And who knew this?

The Thailand national baseball team is the national baseball team of Thailand. They have competed in numerous international competitions, including the Southeast Asian Games, the Asian Games, and the Baseball World Cup. The team is organized by the Amateur Baseball Association of Thailand.

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;317970 said:
Who do you think will win?

I assume you were being facetious....And obviously think the US.

Well Japan has won twice and Dominican Republic one once and heavy favorite again this year

The US has only made it to 4th place once....

DR, Puerto Rico, Venezuela have as good or better players than the US
And Japan and So Korea have many players that play in MLB
But the point being I assume this isn't bigger than the world series? ie. do US players dream of winning this... or the world series?

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;317973 said:
But the point being I assume this isn't bigger than the world series? ie. do US players dream of winning this... or the world series?
Why does something have to big bigger than something else?

And yes, it is bigger than the World Series for some of the countries.

Most of the Latin guys I'd guess would rather win this than the WS

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;317975 said:
Why does something have to big bigger than something else?

And yes, it is bigger than the World Series for some of the countries.

Most of the Latin guys I'd guess would rather win this than the WS
I know... my point has been lost in my laboured explanation... 55

The biggest event in baseball to Americans is a local event... same NFL... and maybe same basketball? Or is the US team winning bigger than the local teams winning the NBA?

Just saying, if the US wasn't so insular with their local sports.... they'd dominate things like soccer, rugby.. and probably other sports internationally... but anyway, that point required too much explaining so it's lost it's relevancy... 55

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;317976 said:
I know... my point has been lost in my laboured explanation... 55

The biggest event in baseball to Americans is a local event... same NFL... and maybe same basketball? Or is the US team winning bigger than the local teams winning the NBA?

Just saying, if the US wasn't so insular with their local sports.... they'd dominate things like soccer, rugby.. and probably other sports internationally... but anyway, that point required too much explaining so it's lost it's relevancy... 55
But you just made my point.

You think the US is insular because it your sport isn't one of the major 4 sports in the US

But I am showing you the US isn't insular by pointing out that 3 out of the 4 sports are played in a lot of the parts of the world.

I'd say you are the one being insular thinking that just because they don't focus on your sport.

Baseball is called America's past time.....I just showed you it is the #1 sport in the Caribbean and half of Latin America as well as in a lot of Asian countries, with half of the best players coming from Caribbean and Latin America

Basketball is the same.....The US grew the sport all over the world and some of the best players now come from Spain, Eastern Europe, Latin America

So how is that insular?

We have one sport that is insular, American football
Attached files

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;317977 said:
But you just made my point.

You think the US is insular because it your sport isn't one of the major 4 sports in the US

But I am showing you the US isn't insular but pointing out that 3 out of the 4 sports are played in a lot of the parts of the world.

I'd say you are the one being insular thinking that just because they don't focus on your sport.

Baseball is called America's past time.....I just showed you it is the #1 sport in the Caribbean and half of Latin America as well as in a lot of Asian countries

Basketball is the same.....The US grew the sport all over the world and some of the best players now come from Spain, Eastern Europe, Latin America

So how is that insular?

We have one sport that is insular, American football
You really have missed my point... I am so crap at articulation... 55

Because those sports even though played elsewhere (and basketball is played worldwide I know), but despite that, the biggest events for those sports are not "international" events... but rather "local" US events... whereas soccer and rugby as examples... the biggest events are not local events... but international events... that's the point I have been trying to make... 55

Can someone explain it better for me please... it seems pretty clear in my head.. but I can't get it down on paper... 55

Hatari

^ go back to the rugby thread (nb: resistance is futile)

And two, we have cancelled absolute cliffhanger here with expat and immigrant tied at 3 each!

Meanwhile, I am trying to finish a can of 8.6% Original Special Blond Beer (Bavaria Brewery, Netherlands)
Dreadful. But free, can see why it was being given away at work yesterday

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;317978 said:

Because those sports even though played elsewhere (and basketball is played worldwide I know), but despite that, the biggest events for those sports are not "international" events... but rather "local" US events... whereas soccer and rugby as examples... the biggest events are not local events... but international events... that's the point I have been trying to make... 55

Can someone explain it better for me please... it seems pretty clear in my head.. but I can't get it down on paper... 55
But again you are wrong
All of those sports play big International events, just because you don't deem them worthy enough as The World Cup or Rugby World Cup doesn't mean they aren't

Obviously The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world(ps, the US plays in that) but I wouldn't say Rugby World Cup is any bigger than World Jr's or the Olympics for hockey or the WBC for baseball or FIBA for basketball

Again, you are showing your insularity

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;318001 said:
But again you are wrong
All of those sports play big International events, just because you don't deem them worthy enough as The World Cup or Rugby World Cup doesn't mean they aren't

Obviously The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world(ps, the US plays in that) but I wouldn't say Rugby World Cup is any bigger than World Jr's or the Olympics for hockey or the WBC for baseball or FIBA for basketball

Again, you are showing your insularity
I have just re-read my post that you quote... it baffles me why you can't understand it? I suggest you read it again slowly...

I am showing insularity by showing how the US takes it's own national leagues more serious than international events? You can see that can't you? The NBA is big... the world series is big... are there international events that are bigger for those sports? As far as the players are concerned (Not me) the world series and NBA finals are the pinnacle?

And though not really relevant to the conversation... Rugby World Cup Sets Records, Becomes Third-Largest Global Sports Event - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

RakThai

Distantpeak;317978 said:

Could your point be explained by how the sports are organized? The countries sports associations being controlled by continent sports association controlled by the world association (add the right abbreviations for the different sports..).
So when in this structure the world association organizes a world event, all countries are bound to it, and the countries coaches can pick any player they want, and cannot be obstructed by teams or sponsors.

This in contrary to the way "American" sports are organized, where competitions are set up by the teams / local league and the world associations came later. So the world association does not control the whole sport and cannot always force teams and competitions to release players any time they want...

Something like that?

Quarky

Administrator
RakThai;318007 said:
Could your point be explained by how the sports are organized? The countries sports associations being controlled by continent sports association controlled by the world association (add the right abbreviations for the different sports..).
So when in this structure the world association organizes a world event, all countries are bound to it, and the countries coaches can pick any player they want, and cannot be obstructed by teams or sponsors.

This in contrary to the way "American" sports are organized, where competitions are set up by the teams / local league and the world associations came later. So the world association does not control the whole sport and cannot always force teams and competitions to release players any time they want...

Something like that?
Very likely! And when your local competition becomes the pinnacle of your sport... it's hard to break out of that cycle...

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;317978 said:

If you can get it in the UK......try and watch some of the games.
Especially the teams from the Caribbean

ESPN: The Worldwide Leader in Sports - ESPN

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;320501 said:
If you can get it in the UK......try and watch some of the games.
Especially the teams from the Caribbean

ESPN: The Worldwide Leader in Sports - ESPN
I do get baseball is quite big worldwide... but the "world series" will always be the biggest event in the sport? That's what I meant... the local version of the sport is the biggest attraction... unless the WBC is "bigger" than the world series?

Similar perhaps to rugby league, the State of Origin series between Queensland and NSW in Australia is bigger than any international matches...

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;320576 said:
I do get baseball is quite big worldwide... but the "world series" will always be the biggest event in the sport? That's what I meant... the local version of the sport is the biggest attraction... unless the WBC is "bigger" than the world series?

Similar perhaps to rugby league, the State of Origin series between Queensland and NSW in Australia is bigger than any international matches...
I wasn't commenting on the debate

Just telling you to watch if you can.....it's much different than watching an MLB and really fun