Favourite Thailand Bloggers

bacwaan

^ iirc you got it around B4K a night....great price for then

I remember going to check it out during early covid (mid 2021) when my landlord at the time wouldn't reduce my rent on the joint I had just near Sawan Villas on the jungle road....they were offering their villas just below on the hillside but still with a decent (but lower. less spectacular) beach view for B30K a month as they couldn't do casual bookings/run as a hotel...they basically had to rent them as private villas for locals....and the restaurant, pool, massage joints etc down below were all closed...so I reckon you could have had that joint for B50K a month..which is peanuts considering what it is...

I ended up going to Samui Gardens Resort at Hua Thanon in a nice one bed villa/bungalow for B12K a month....they were ususally B25K in low season and B10-15K more in high/peak... was very happy there..well, until I got sick...mind...they looked after me like I was family during that time and after until I was well enough to get back to AUS and the borders opened again....Pok the owner is from a very wealthy Samui family.....quiet, but a great bloke once you get to know him...he would do anything for you if he likes you...they bought me food regularly, arranged for a private caretaker to come in each day ( lovely young Burmese girl) to get me out of bed and into the shower, do my laundry + cook and clean....they organised my covid shots in a private clinic, took me out fishing, arranged an ambulance to bring me back from Surat Thani Town after my cancer treatment + stint in the hospital with covid etc etc...don't know what I would have done without him...

Last edited:

bacwaan

oh yeah...that was funny...it worked OK later didn't it?
iirc you, Dean, Andre and me had a quite boozy afternoon there that day..55

MarcTwoSix

oh yeah...that was funny...it worked OK later didn't it?
iirc you, Dean, Andre and me had a quite boozy afternoon there that day..55
No not really

I had to use my Ipad alarm which I never used before

Went out hard my last night and woke to the taxi banging on the glass door

I left the resort 45mins before an International flight!

How I made that flight is beyond me

I honestly think that was the last time I ever got drunk the night before flying home

It Sucked!!!

bacwaan

^ where I first met you all those many moons ago iirc....
It's great little spot there...and quiet for where it is smack bang in the middle of it...

Nomad

I looked at Crytal Bay, but I rather Lamai. I managed to book my favourite bungalow at Coconut for June, which I'm stoked about. The front porch steps right into the sand.

I've stayed in this very one 3 times. I love it.

View attachment 10037
Is it Coconut Beach Samui (next to Lamai99) or Lamai Coconut Beach Resort (next one along)? I looked at Lamai99 for July and the price is around double what I paid in June last year.

MarcTwoSix

Has anyone been to Lamai since Covid?

That place was absolutely devoid of life

The worst I saw in Thailand by a very wide margin

It was like "end of world" shit there

So wonder how it bounced back

Stillearly

Has anyone been to Lamai since Covid?

That place was absolutely devoid of life

The worst I saw in Thailand by a very wide margin

It was like "end of world" shit there

So wonder how it bounced back
I'm in Lamai now and also visited same time last year ...

My hotel is full and when I arrived on Saturday, all the restaurants were busy

The bars aren't that busy though as it's mostly couples and families that are here

Just wish the beachfront businesses would be more diligent in cleaning the area of beach they occupy

MarcTwoSix

I'm in Lamai now and also visited same time last year ...

My hotel is full and when I arrived on Saturday, all the restaurants were busy

The bars aren't that busy though as it's mostly couples and families that are here

Just wish the beachfront businesses would be more diligent in cleaning the area of beach they occupy
Oh good
It was dire when I went in 2021

I've never felt Lamai is all that beautiful but I like the compactness of it