Final crackdown for border runners

mechime

Member
Thinking of applying for a TV with 2 entries £50/- but what I don't understand is, if I fill the form and put my 1st entry date, say a month away to allow for ticket and post, will they issue the visa valid from that date or from when they process it, remembering the up to two 60 day visits must be completed within the visa 6 months?
(or could it be that the visa 6 month starts from 1st entry~don't know and don't want to pay an agency for the pleasure)
 

Mr. Smiley

Active member
mechime;174079 said:
Thinking of applying for a TV with 2 entries £50/- but what I don't understand is, if I fill the form and put my 1st entry date, say a month away to allow for ticket and post, will they issue the visa valid from that date or from when they process it, remembering the up to two 60 day visits must be completed within the visa 6 months?
(or could it be that the visa 6 month starts from 1st entry~don't know and don't want to pay an agency for the pleasure)
The visa's validity starts from the moment the embassy issues it. Then you have 6 months (from the issue date) to visit Thailand and use the two entries before the visa expires. Only thing you have to be aware of now is that Thai immigration is scrutinizing the tourist visas (as opposed to going thorough the motions) so if you want to extend or do a border hop to activate the second entry you have to have a return ticket, 20k baht in cash and (possibly) a travel itinerary (with hotel addresses).
 

Hatari

Active member
meese;174072 said:
do you have to carry id in your home country's...i dont...only my driving licence if im driving....
Bit of a difference. I'm not a fan of this 'ID on demand' business, but it's their law.
Here - can be stopped at any police or military checkpoint, and whether a foreigner or Thai can be requested to show ID.
As we have lived in border provinces (with Cambodia) since 2010 have been through plenty of checkpoints - 3 permanent ones between here and MsH's home 190km away, both of us have had to produce ID at times (in case MsH was a Cambodian! without work permit) as well as show copy of the motorcycle Green ownership book (many bikes get stolen and taken across the border). When it had Phuket rego plate it was a magnet for police, took 6 months to get new Chanthaburi one issued.
We've had this on a 'raid' on a bus heading towards Aranyaprathet/PoiPet at the border - 'papers please'
I've been stopped several times locally when cycling and had to produce ID
In the past have always got by with either Thai drivers licence and/or copy of passport page.
As per my post - having only that passport page may no longer be adequate if they are on a mission to identify potential overstayers, easy enough to also carry a copy of my current visa as well.
Plan B if stopped might be to sit and wait at checkpoint, ring MsH at her office and ask her to go home, get my passport and drive to wherever I am.
Probably not a popular choice.
 

Moo Uaon

Well-known member
Not in mine meese but i know that that 2 Ukrainian GF's had 2 PP's...one internal and and international one,which was a quite a surprise to me at the time.They needed to show documents and reason to move from one part of "their" country to the other.

Maybe that country will go the same way as the former Yugoslavia??
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Moo Uaon;174126 said:
I think being able to produce a PP on demand for a non resident is required in most countries?
Canada Immigration actually advises you not to carry your passport with you
They do say you should have 2 pieces of ID, but somewhat generic and mostly just a suggestion
 

Mr. Smiley

Active member
In Japan, you have to get an alien registration card, which you have to produce upon request by the police or use when signing up for services as a form of ID. Basically has the local city that you reside in, address of your apartment, the company that employs you, your physical characteristics, headshot, passport number, when you entered the country and when your visa expires. The card was all in Japanese, (even your name).

Every time something changes you have to get your card updated at local city hall. At the time, the ID card was valid for a period of 5 years.
 

PeteGill

Well-known member
Hatari;174099 said:
Bit of a difference. I'm not a fan of this 'ID on demand' business, but it's their law.
Here - can be stopped at any police or military checkpoint, and whether a foreigner or Thai can be requested to show ID.
As we have lived in border provinces (with Cambodia) since 2010 have been through plenty of checkpoints - 3 permanent ones between here and MsH's home 190km away, both of us have had to produce ID at times (in case MsH was a Cambodian! without work permit) as well as show copy of the motorcycle Green ownership book (many bikes get stolen and taken across the border). When it had Phuket rego plate it was a magnet for police, took 6 months to get new Chanthaburi one issued.
We've had this on a 'raid' on a bus heading towards Aranyaprathet/PoiPet at the border - 'papers please'
I've been stopped several times locally when cycling and had to produce ID
In the past have always got by with either Thai drivers licence and/or copy of passport page.
As per my post - having only that passport page may no longer be adequate if they are on a mission to identify potential overstayers, easy enough to also carry a copy of my current visa as well.
Plan B if stopped might be to sit and wait at checkpoint, ring MsH at her office and ask her to go home, get my passport and drive to wherever I am.
Probably not a popular choice.
When in Chiang Mai earlier this year I asked to produce my passport in a police raid on local bars.. I did ask if a copy was OK and was told "No only original" But even though I had no ID on me they did not press the issue any further.
 
Z

Zablive

Guest
PeteGill;174269 said:
When in Chiang Mai earlier this year I asked to produce my passport in a police raid on local bars.. I did ask if a copy was OK and was told "No only original" But even though I had no ID on me they did not press the issue any further.
There's a lot of "Reds under the beds" up there 555!

Including "Red falangs".
 

Mr. Smiley

Active member
Interesting tidbit for those wanting to be on ED Visas, looks like immigration before allowing extensions will do a spot check to see if you are learning anything, and checking your attendance (at school) as well as where you are living (by looking at your residence contract and matching it with what they have on their files)....

Some more hoop jumping can be expected I would imagine... also I'd be very wary if the school asks you if are working in Thailand because they are suppose to report you to immigration if they (the school) believes you are working while you are on an ED Visa.
 
P

pinecone

Guest
mechime;174079 said:
Thinking of applying for a TV with 2 entries £50/- but what I don't understand is, if I fill the form and put my 1st entry date, say a month away to allow for ticket and post, will they issue the visa valid from that date or from when they process it, remembering the up to two 60 day visits must be completed within the visa 6 months?
(or could it be that the visa 6 month starts from 1st entry~don't know and don't want to pay an agency for the pleasure)
Hmm interesting variation, here in Vancouver Canada, an applicant is required to show booked flight itinerary with application for multi entry visa. No tickee, no visa.
 

Mr. Smiley

Active member
pinecone;174937 said:
Hmm interesting variation, here in Vancouver Canada, an applicant is required to show booked flight itinerary with application for multi entry visa. No tickee, no visa.
Is it still the case where you don't have to show a return ticket? I know when I applied for one 2-3 years ago a one-way ticket was good in order to get a triple entry out of Vancouver.
 

Moo Uaon

Well-known member
Normally having a TV was (should be?) the way out of entering LOS without a return ticket.

Different for someone with a PP full of TV's or 30 day visa exempt stamps.
 

Mr. Smiley

Active member
Moo Uaon;174999 said:
Normally having a TV was (should be?) the way out of entering LOS without a return ticket
Yeah. I've never had a problem not showing an itinerary at the Thai Consulate (Vancouver) with a return flight back to Canada or a ticket out of Thailand. Although, I have been told at the airport I needed a return ticket... which I politely informed them that they where misinformed because I had a visa in my passport. The return ticket only applies for travellers going to Thailand that receive a visa on arrival.
Attached files
 

Hatari

Active member
The Border Swimmer!

Slovenian Imprisoned After Swim to Cambodia
AUGUST 1, 2014

The Koh Kong Provincial Court on Thursday charged a Slovenian national with illegal border crossing after the 46-year-old allegedly swam to Cambodia from Thailand to evade immigration controls, court and police officials said.

Sorman Gorazd, who was previously deported from Cambodia for creating public disturbances, “was charged with illegally crossing the border, because his passport did not have an entry stamp,” deputy prosecutor Bou Bunhang said.
“He is now being held in prison.”
Provincial deputy police chief Nhem Dara said Mr. Gorazd was arrested on Tuesday after being picked up in Mondol Seima district’s Bak Khlang commune.
“He is alleged to have illegally crossed the border by swimming about 1 km from the Thai border when his passport was refused entry to Cambodia [at a land border crossing],” Mr. Dara said, adding that Mr. Gorazd had already been kicked out of Cambodia for “provoking disorder of public security” in Preah Sihanouk province.
 
Top