Good luck and bad luck

Notorius

I definitely see your point about good and bad luck and I believe it definitely comes in cycles. I remember things were going particularly well for me. Had a hot fiancé, great job, shed loads of money. I remember driving somewhere and a thought came into my head. It basically said everything is going so well, but wait until something bad happens. Literally 6 months later it had all disintegrated. Girl fcuked off with someone, work dried up and apparently if you spend money like the wolf of Wall Street, you need to be earning it at the same rate. Was down on my luck for a while but knew it would turn and it did.

That is why I don’t get that bothered if having a bit of bad luck because I believe it is a precursor to good luck. Saying that it was difficult to have that positive outlook when I found out that my last gf had spun a web of lies and I had to put down De Niro because of leukaemia all in the space of 3 days.

PeteGill

Zablive;384832 said:
Music is not an important part of my life.
Understood, life would be boring if we all had exactly the same interests and tastes. Just happen to know that Nels loves his music and picked up on the line from an old blues classic.

Cippy

Ian Forbes;384310 said:
If I had a family and was living in my home for 12 months of the year then gas is quicker and cheaper than electricity. Same with a heat pump. The big cost is switching over to a different system. I have an old oil furnace sitting next to the hot water tank. I has not run for the 16 years I started spending my winters in Thailand. I still have oil in the inside tank that has to be removed.

My main comment is to point out that if you own home then there are always upkeep issues. The older the house gets the more problems occur. A lot depends on how the building was constructed in the first place, and by whom. There is an old but true saying... Build it correctly in the first place, with good quality materials, and it will be cheaper in the long run. Use extra wiring in the construction process and it won't have to be replaced. In Canada we have 110 wiring unless 220 was demanded beforehand. Trying to install new wiring in a 50 year old home is a long, slow, costly process. Had extra wiring been installed when the building was being constructed then the extra cost would have been minimal.

Unfortunately, speculation homes in a new subdivision are usually done on the "cheap". They look nice on the outside, but it's all "floss and gloss"... kind of like a hooker in a bar. You really don't know what you've bought until you've been with them for a while. My home was obviously one of those spec homes where the builders cut corners. There was very little long range planning. Then, the subsequent owner, or owners, tried to upgrade and develop the basement area, but with little or no long range planning.

I give full marks to the Swiss and Germans. They are noted for doing things correctly the first time. Compare that to the Thais that can't see much further than a meter in front of their face. Everything has to be rebuilt on a continual basis.
Man, Ian, don't I know it. This year alone I had the kitchen flood from an old dishwasher, and the floor boards buckled as they dried and I was sure I had all the water out. New Dishwasher, repaired and refinished a hardwood floor out of that one. My 10 year old fridge had the ice maker break, so I went to the old fashioned ice tray system only to find my freezer not keeping things frozen a month later. A new front door cause the frame was dry rotting. Overhauling the yard with drought resistant plants. Solar was by choice, but all and all, about an extra $30,000 USD this year on the house. It never seems to end.

Last year it was a leaking sewer that lead to a new wall repair in the basement and a new septic tank.

MarcTwoSix

Cippy;384918 said:
Man, Ian, don't I know it. This year alone I had the kitchen flood from an old dishwasher, and the floor boards buckled as they dried and I was sure I had all the water out. New Dishwasher, repaired and refinished a hardwood floor out of that one. My 10 year old fridge had the ice maker break, so I went to the old fashioned ice tray system only to find my freezer not keeping things frozen a month later. A new front door cause the frame was dry rotting. Overhauling the yard with drought resistant plants. Solar was by choice, but all and all, about an extra $30,000 USD this year on the house. It never seems to end.

Last year it was a leaking sewer that lead to a new wall repair in the basement and a new septic tank.
Man Cippy, don't I know it
Our refrigerator blew up and our place burnt down and we were homeless for a few months(like not on the street homeless, had to split up and stay with family/friends)

I had a football game on the field below my neighborhood
Saw the fire trucks going and was told my house was on fire at halftime
Some asshole kids were singing "Burning down the house " 5555

PS....It may seem my last two posts were trying to "one-up" you
That wasn't my intention 5555
Attached files

Quarky

Administrator
I still think Bacon's early life trumps most so far... though probably others have been thru worse. I heard a rumour that someone here was kidnapped in Gaza and tortured for 5 years... and now works tirelessly to find work for Palestinian refugees.

Ian Forbes

Cippy;384918 said:

I was GOING to give your post a "like", but after that story it wouldn't be appropriate. Your "bad luck" was far worse than mine. 555

My heading "Good luck, bad luck" was intentional because very often a bit of bad luck inspires you to change your life, or get something done that needed doing, but you had put it off...... kind of like marriage break-ups. You put it off for too long, but when it finally happens you are better off in the long run, and you think "I should have done this sooner.".

Cippy

MarcTwoSix;384924 said:
Our refrigerator blew up and our place burnt down and we were homeless for a few months(like not on the street homeless, had to split up and stay with family/friends)

555, not sure how a current home repair story is one-upped by my house burned down as a kid story :)

Cippy

Ian Forbes;384932 said:
I was GOING to give your post a "like", but after that story it wouldn't be appropriate. Your "bad luck" was far worse than mine. 555

My heading "Good luck, bad luck" was intentional because very often a bit of bad luck inspires you to change your life, or get something done that needed doing, but you had put it off...... kind of like marriage break-ups. You put it off for too long, but when it finally happens you are better off in the long run, and you think "I should have done this sooner.".
Good and bad, if this had happened the year before there would have been no money to fix all of it. 555

Notorius

MarcTwoSix;384924 said:

Beside our pub was a huge house that we owned that we converted into three apartments. On the first day of the smoking ban in Ireland (so must have been in 2004), everyone who smoked was outside down the side lane. Somebody must have flicked the end of their cigarette onto cardboard that was left for recycling. It caught fire and then the oil tank lit up. The whole old house went up in a gulf of flames, was like something from an action movie. But that was only the beginning. We keep the empty kegs at the back of the house and they started going off like rockets straight up about 100 ft in the air. Well our bad luck was somebodies good luck. A guy was in a phone box, and was just about to step out but the person he was waiting for rang back. All of a sudden an exploded keg landed right in front of the box falling from the heavens. Would have killed him stone dead.

Ian Forbes

Notorius;384993 said:
Beside our pub was a huge house that we owned that we converted into three apartments. On the first day of the smoking ban in Ireland (so must have been in 2004), everyone who smoked was outside down the side lane. Somebody must have flicked the end of their cigarette onto cardboard that was left for recycling. It caught fire and then the oil tank lit up. The whole old house went up in a gulf of flames, was like something from an action movie. But that was only the beginning. We keep the empty kegs at the back of the house and they started going off like rockets straight up about 100 ft in the air. Well our bad luck was somebodies good luck. A guy was in a phone box, and was just about to step out but the person he was waiting for rang back. All of a sudden an exploded keg landed right in front of the box falling from the heavens. Would have killed him stone dead.
Something like that is unexplainable, and something you can't plan for. All you can do is shake your head in wonder.

Notorius

Ian Forbes;385003 said:
Something like that is unexplainable, and something you can't plan for. All you can do is shake your head in wonder.
Lucky he had a head to shake. Must have been like that scene in Donnie Darko when the airplane engine fell out of the engine that killed the guy.

It really was like the butterfly effect. Firstly, if the smoking ban hadn’t come in, then no one would have been outside the lane to start the fire. Secondly, it was the day that cardboard was being collected so usually wouldn’t have been there. Empty kegs were being collected the next morning so all were there, so usually that area would have been clear. So if the guys mate hadn’t have called him back and he stepped out and would have been crushed by a falling keg, it would have been as a result of a series of most unfortunate events. Could have imagined the headline ‘man dies as a result of the smoking ban!

Ian Forbes

Notorius;385008 said:
Lucky he had a head to shake. Must have been like that scene in Donnie Darko when the airplane engine fell out of the engine that killed the guy.

It really was like the butterfly effect. Firstly, if the smoking ban hadn’t come in, then no one would have been outside the lane to start the fire. Secondly, it was the day that cardboard was being collected so usually wouldn’t have been there. Empty kegs were being collected the next morning so all were there, so usually that area would have been clear. So if the guys mate hadn’t have called him back and he stepped out and would have been crushed by a falling keg, it would have been as a result of a series of most unfortunate events. Could have imagined the headline ‘man dies as a result of the smoking ban!
Brings back the old story... "For the want of a nail the shoe was lost" ... which eventually ending up in a war and a country being lost.

MarcTwoSix

Notorius;384993 said:
I despise that smokers just throw their cigarette butt anywhere
Actually, I basically despise smokers............some of the most ignorant people in the world

I take every instance to tell them to get away from doors I am walking into

The other day this Chinese guy was smoking right outside my apartment building door
He was done as I was walking up and he threw his cigarette on the ground and started walking into the building
I called him back and told him to pick up the butt and throw it away properly, told him he shouldn't be leaving that shit in front of the door or smoking in front of it