Home ownership in Thailand

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Chob;225674 said:
I just lost a long post on this because my PC rebooted , with all the justifications in it for my thinking but -
Its gonna sound harsh being much briefer , but in short , you CAN give a "no" response - simply because you dont want to invest your money in something
And because its up to you
From now over 7 years of living here Ive watched the Thais , and its only those with money who outrightly say , "Ummm , No!"
Sure they drop 5k on a banquet for everyone and make big face ( and Ive done the same without any of the accolades and promises of obligations , probably just as you have ) ,but they say "no" and walk away
The difference is that while we are supposed to cringe to say "no" , thinking that its somehow un-Thai , the big boys here really only say "yes" if security is offered up
A loan of 100k on a block worth 1 million for example

They say ''no" all the time
Its only family that really pressures each other into saying ''yes'
But you show authority by saying "no" yourself

Just say "no" because you want to
They already "Know" you have big money so its your perogative
Occasionally tell your woman "No , and its up to me"
Really
You may get some silence , but in the long term its cementing your place here

( And Ive heard of many banks- or worse mafia money lenders - remortgaging places without the farangs ok over here ,,, theres great money to be made and the Falang, with the gambler tg , for example , has little recourse, usually any way )
I honestly don't understand how people can ever do something they 100% don't want
I have said no way more times than I have said yes.
I don't mind explaining to my wife my reasoning but after that i feel absolutely zero obligation to do anything i don't want to

Latest and biggest example i have said on here before
Her stupid brother got arrested again and was facing 3 years in prison
I could have paud 150k baht and got him out and honestly i could easily get that money out of the bank tomorrow
But he screwed over his other brother by getting arrested and there was no way I was supporting that
In the end I think both my wife and MIL understand

And believe me......guys buying houses and doing all this so early in their relationships don't get respect......they actually lose the Thai family's respect.......because no Thai would do it at such an early stage
 

Minder

Well-known member
Anyone who is married and thinks they own something no-matter-what is delusional....

...if that something is in a country where, in words from another forum, "we is the niggers here" then you are doubly so.

Yes I am married and yes "we" have a house in Thailand (4.5 million baht, I think) but it is not mine and it never can be mine in the Western sense.
IMHO is best regarded as a long term rental ..... ..!!

Enjoy.
 

Nomad

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;225681 said:
In the end I think both my wife and MIL understand

This is a good example M26. You had a cool head, possibly thousand of miles away and less emotional involvement, thus able to make a rational choice.

In the heat of the moment, under pressure, a less well thought through outcome may have been the response, and one you may not have had a say in.

Everyone makes mistakes, bad calls, etc, and relationships and associated trust/respect etc change over time, for better or worse! Slowing down decision making likely to yield a better outcome.

@Chob: Not saying its fool proof, but the starting point is more likely to be "cannot", or not requested as others know "cannot".
 

Stillearly

Well-known member
Pinecone I think it's only one Rai and you have to make a 40million baht investment into the Thai economy ..
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Minder;225685 said:
Anyone who is married and thinks they own something no-matter-what is delusional....

...if that something is in a country where, in words from another forum, "we is the niggers here" then you are doubly so.

Yes I am married and yes "we" have a house in Thailand (4.5 million baht, I think) but it is not mine and it never can be mine in the Western sense.
IMHO is best regarded as a long term rental ..... ..!!

Enjoy.
The way i look at she still has about a 5.5mil baht credit left for putting up with your crap 555
 
C

Changone

Guest
Minder;225685 said:
Anyone who is married and thinks they own something no-matter-what is delusional....

...if that something is in a country where, in words from another forum, "we is the niggers here" then you are doubly so.

Yes I am married and yes "we" have a house in Thailand (4.5 million baht, I think) but it is not mine and it never can be mine in the Western sense.
IMHO is best regarded as a long term rental ..... ..!!

Enjoy.
MarcTwoSix;225702 said:
The way i look at she still has about a 5.5mil baht credit left for putting up with your crap 555
Ahhh...yes, I think that's the "Platinum card" right there. Now that's what I call "Playing the long game", .....555:p :evil:
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Changone;225748 said:
Ahhh...yes, I think that's the "Platinum card" right there. Now that's what I call "Playing the long game", .....555:p :evil:
Mine probably has a lot more she hasn't tapped yet 555
 

jontymate

Active member
Nomad;225686 said:
This is a good example M26. You had a cool head, possibly thousand of miles away and less emotional involvement, thus able to make a rational choice.

In the heat of the moment, under pressure, a less well thought through outcome may have been the response, and one you may not have had a say in.

Everyone makes mistakes, bad calls, etc, and relationships and associated trust/respect etc change over time, for better or worse! Slowing down decision making likely to yield a better outcome.

@Chob: Not saying its fool proof, but the starting point is more likely to be "cannot", or not requested as others know "cannot".
We take out car insurance, hoping to never really need it. We take out life insurance to cover the living. We pay someone to guide us to minimize the tax we pay. Having the best possible structure in place should things go wrong with regards to this matter is no different. Things do change no matter how much due diligence you do and even over long periods.

There are always outside influences beyond your control. If LOS went into a state of long term civil war (Long bow). No matter how much you planed, your house would be worthless to you.

Therefore you either rent or plan the best you can around it if you buy in LOS ( like have because Dao wanted some security for here and her family). For me this would be having property or assets acquired of the marriage outside of LOS. Off sufficient value that would be a deterrent to being ripped off for the ones in LOS. Again not flawless. However there will be many factors in the choices you make. Protecting children, your age and the pool available.

Perhaps a better offshoot of this thread would be getting sound legal advice in LOS, that has been tested on the subject so one can have a truly best informed view.
 
Z

Zablive

Guest
Civil war -there's been one in the far South of Thailand for decades - 40 bombs set off in Yala last weekend.
It doesn't affect us - we don't go there.

If one erupted in the North (highly unlikely IMHO) we wouldn't go there either.

A Usufruct, which is registered on a Chanote Title, gives one the right to use of the land for life.
It can't be dealt with unless you give your permission (sale, bank loans etc.)
It may be different with a lower grade of Title like possession farmland. as mentioned above.
Title to the house on the land in your name is straightforward to establish, if a Chanote Title.

BUT - do this in Your village - not hers.
Then you avoid the eviction by the outlaws should things go tits-up as they are your police, officials etc

However, it's all intended to be hers, at the end of the day, - but not before!

I reckon I'm getting close to square versus rent.
 

Quarky

Administrator
One thing I pick up off this forum... is how much trust people put in other people... I find it quite amazing...

I can't think of anyone alive apart from possibly my mother (and even then... 55) I would trust with my money...

And yet, a lot of guys here trust their wives enough to buy houses for them.. knowing they won't run away with it. How do you come to that point to trust someone like that? I just cannot imagine trusting anyone like that? Not my mother, father, brother or even my best mate... let alone a woman... hell the only woman I ever lived with signed a contract agreeing she was entitled to nothing... 55

I am in awe... I wish I had that faith in people..
 
Z

Zablive

Guest
Distantpeak;225816 said:
One thing I pick up off this forum... is how much trust people put in other people... I find it quite amazing...

I can't think of anyone alive apart from possibly my mother (and even then... 55) I would trust with my money...

And yet, a lot of guys here trust their wives enough to buy houses for them.. knowing they won't run away with it. How do you come to that point to trust someone like that? I just cannot imagine trusting anyone like that? Not my mother, father, brother or even my best mate... let alone a woman... hell the only woman I ever lived with signed a contract agreeing she was entitled to nothing... 55

I am in awe... I wish I had that faith in people..

A very good summary of the crux of your relationship problems 555!
 

Minder

Well-known member
Distantpeak;225816 said:
One thing I pick up off this forum... is how much trust people put in other people... I find it quite amazing...

I can't think of anyone alive apart from possibly my mother (and even then... 55) I would trust with my money...

And yet, a lot of guys here trust their wives enough to buy houses for them.. knowing they won't run away with it. How do you come to that point to trust someone like that? I just cannot imagine trusting anyone like that? Not my mother, father, brother or even my best mate... let alone a woman... hell the only woman I ever lived with signed a contract agreeing she was entitled to nothing... 55

I am in awe... I wish I had that faith in people..
Mrs M has earned/worked for her share of what we have (and plenty more according to some hey Paulie ...555)

A good marriage is a good partnership .... would you deny your business partner their half of the proceeds from the sale of the successful business you had built together?

Same same but different...

Enjoy..
 

Quarky

Administrator
Minder;225821 said:
Mrs M has earned/worked for her share of what we have (and plenty more according to some hey Paulie ...555)

A good marriage is a good partnership .... would you deny your business partner their half of the proceeds from the sale of the successful business you had built together?

Same same but different...

Enjoy..
Well I make sure it is all in writing and kept with a lawyer... same as I did with my ex...

But you are right... there is no one I trust implicitly... because everyone lets you down in the end... even if they don't mean to. The only person you can trust is yourself... usually... 55

I agree I have a problem. Just in awe that other people are so trusting... 55
 
P

pooyai

Guest
I bought 2 rai from niece for 35k, it's only sor por kor, so I only have the lease deed, I put lamyai on it 5 years ago and then was approached last year to sell a small parcel of it for 20k (no paperwork whatsoever) to allow 2 family members to build houses and sell their houses in the village, to repay debt, (my place is 3k away from village central). I ok'd that and long story re tom's and dee's but one of them wants to sell to non-family in village for 60k, to repay subsequently accrued gambling debt, I said fark you I'll give you 10k and a week to get rid of your steel and brick house, she's backed off and no one including the real pyb has contradicted me, I said only sold to help family not to help them make a profit
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
pooyai;225855 said:
I bought 2 rai from niece for 35k, it's only sor por kor, so I only have the lease deed, I put lamyai on it 5 years ago and then was approached last year to sell a small parcel of it for 20k (no paperwork whatsoever) to allow 2 family members to build houses and sell their houses in the village, to repay debt, (my place is 3k away from village central). I ok'd that and long story re tom's and dee's but one of them wants to sell to non-family in village for 60k, to repay subsequently accrued gambling debt, I said fark you I'll give you 10k and a week to get rid of your steel and brick house, she's backed off and no one including the real pyb has contradicted me, I said only sold to help family not to help them make a profit
My wife had her alpha Aunt that i have mentioned here before
She had 2 houses in the village.....a small one bought by German guy the other Aunt now lives in and a huge 350sqm house her ex-husband bought.
She was good to her family but lorded over them....exactly how she liked it.
She had rais of land around the 2 houses and offered them to us at a very cheap price for land in SuphanBuri but i refused
Telling my wife she would always look at it as her land.....especially since she sold it to us at such a good discount.
I even predicted 6-7 years ago we would be able to buy the 4mil house for 1mil down the road and that offer came to us....as I predicted
Again.....no way i was buying "her house" because it would always be her house.(plus we didn't need a house in village)

Same with land in Petchaburi. There was some talk early on of buying a parcel from family but then others started jumping in and having their say......no need for that drama.

My wife finally bought land in Cha Am off her "good uncle" who worked in Korea for 20 years. No drama
 

supersub

New member
Whilst I sympathise with ex pats not being able to own land/property outright without some hoeky pokey scheme, it's probably good in a way else every tom **** and harry ex pat probably would have bought off tonnes of land and priced locals out of the market. There should be some middle ground though imo. Like if you've spend x years living in Thailand then you should get the right to buy.
 
Top