Home ownership in Thailand

P

pinecone

supersub;226126 said:
Whilst I sympathise with ex pats not being able to own land/property outright without some hoeky pokey scheme, it's probably good in a way else every tom **** and harry ex pat probably would have bought off tonnes of land and priced locals out of the market. There should be some middle ground though imo. Like if you've spend x years living in Thailand then you should get the right to buy.
This is EXACTLY what has happened here in Vancouver Canada. Now the idea that you speak of is a our current political 'hot potato'.

Tingtong

Same aust. Chinese are buying up everything they can get their handson. Yet were not allowed to buy in china or los. Is this fair? No bloody way.

supersub

And yet a Thai could come over here and buy a property. Oh the irony. 5555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lakeboy

pinecone;226203 said:
This is EXACTLY what has happened here in Vancouver Canada. Now the idea that you speak of is a our current political 'hot potato'.
It is a hot potato in Vancouver. Lot's of condo's and other properties are being bought by Chinese and others as investments. They sit empty. The problem is, the city has to provide the infrastructure for all those properties, yet people don't live in them. They aren't spending money in the community, so the economic return isn't there. That's why some other cities in the world have come up with ways to "tax" those kind of investments. I think Vancouver should look at doing this. Properties in Vancouver are getting so high, even people with good incomes are struggling to afford to live there. I think it's time Vancouver should find a way to deal with this issue.

PeteGill

^^^ I think there is another thread covering that 555

What about the 30 year lease option for those who do not want to build on someone else's land?
I am not talking about an investment, but rather with the idea of having a home to live in after retirement?

any idea's on the pro's and cons?

Hatari

The primary 'con' would be the person the expat chooses to live with/lease from
Lots of successful ones, but if it does go wrong, expat out on his ear is often the outcome.
Though having said that, ones i've known of personally some of the expats were utter cnuts and imo deserved all they didn't get

MarcTwoSix

lakeboy;226240 said:
It is a hot potato in Vancouver. Lot's of condo's and other properties are being bought by Chinese and others as investments. They sit empty. The problem is, the city has to provide the infrastructure for all those properties, yet people don't live in them. They aren't spending money in the community, so the economic return isn't there. That's why some other cities in the world have come up with ways to "tax" those kind of investments. I think Vancouver should look at doing this. Properties in Vancouver are getting so high, even people with good incomes are struggling to afford to live there. I think it's time Vancouver should find a way to deal with this issue.
Vancouver is one of the most corrupt cities I have ever lived in that cares less about it's residents and citizens than any other place I have ever been
As long as the developers keep putting money in the politicians pockets(and I do think there is under the table deals) they don't care one bit if the regular Joe can afford a home
They don't care that they have made downtown Vancouver basically unliveable because the whole place is a construction site........allowing private developments block major streets in downtown for 6mos-1 year at a time
It really deserved it's ranking of best cities in the world when I 1st got here.................but it is a disgrace now

Stillearly

PeteGill;226244 said:
^^^ I think there is another thread covering that 555

What about the 30 year lease option for those who do not want to build on someone else's land?
I am not talking about an investment, but rather with the idea of having a home to live in after retirement?

any idea's on the pro's and cons?
Still building on someone else's land , you only lease the house on top of it

Renting is the best way to go ... even buying condos has many pitfalls

D

Dazza

If ya can't afford it then don't farken do it...simple really....not rocket science :)

D

Dazza

Minder;225685 said:
Anyone who is married and thinks they own something no-matter-what is delusional....

...if that something is in a country where, in words from another forum, "we is the niggers here" then you are doubly so.

Yes I am married and yes "we" have a house in Thailand (4.5 million baht, I think) but it is not mine and it never can be mine in the Western sense.
IMHO is best regarded as a long term rental ..... ..!!

Enjoy.
Stupid fuckin' quote..

Chob

Dazza;226314 said:
If ya can't afford it then don't farken do it...simple really....not rocket science :)
Still , people back home buy stuff they cant afford all the time ,,,,

bacwaan

Dazza;226314 said:
Think I can work a little with that......

"If ya can't afford to lose it and walk away then don't farken do it...simple really....not rocket science"

Cuzzy

Au said to me... 'when we marry you have me, house, farm and car.'

Of course my rights to anything are zero. She's an honest girl though, I've already paid 400k towards the Mazda. The Vigo is freehold as is the house. I the depths of Isaan ?? what value. Who knows, if yu need to put a $$ value on it.

jontymate

Cuzzy;226440 said:
Au said to me... 'when we marry you have me, house, farm and car.'

Of course my rights to anything are zero. She's an honest girl though, I've already paid 400k towards the Mazda. The Vigo is freehold as is the house. I the depths of Isaan ?? what value. Who knows, if yu need to put a $$ value on it.
In bold was said to me as well many years ago now. I have come to realize when you are in the family and have contributed and a decent person. It is your house and I kinda like that feeling of inclusion. Even now contributing very little to the endless improvements, my opinion is sort for 'our' house.

I was whining the other day about the amount of money paid out in insurances each year. Dao said to me never mind you have the best insurance, our family. We will always have a house and food. I said (Sarcastically toned)sure that they would want me if I couldn't contribute. She got very upset a few expletives later said that it would kill her mothers heart if she heard me talk like that. You are a good son to them and they love you not money. They walk around proud and tell stories of their son has business in china.

She went on to say if our son got married and something happen so he could not take care of himself and wife. We would or not? You want me to speak bad about that you would not do. Same same you see!!!!!!

I think Cuzzy Bro if you are marring / becoming apart of a decent family(most are) the child on the way will cement this even further.

Nomad

jontymate;226533 said:
In bold was said to me as well many years ago now. I have come to realize when you are in the family and have contributed and a decent person. It is your house and I kinda like that feeling of inclusion. Even now contributing very little to the endless improvements, my opinion is sort for 'our' house.

I was whining the other day about the amount of money paid out in insurances each year. Dao said to me never mind you have the best insurance, our family. We will always have a house and food. I said (Sarcastically toned)sure that they would want me if I couldn't contribute. She got very upset a few expletives later said that it would kill her mothers heart if she heard me talk like that. You are a good son to them and they love you not money. They walk around proud and tell stories of their son has business in china.

She went on to say if our son got married and something happen so he could not take care of himself and wife. We would or not? You want me to speak bad about that you would not do. Same same you see!!!!!!

I think Cuzzy Bro if you are marring / becoming apart of a decent family(most are) the child on the way will cement this even further.

Well and truly put back in your box. 555

You do know she is too smart for you. 555

D

Dazza

Chob;226318 said:
Still , people back home buy stuff they cant afford all the time ,,,,
That is so not relevant to the original question....

Chob

Its my view that saying "Spend what you can afford" doesnt really cover it ,,,

What one can afford whilst they are gainfully employed and relatively young and fit will probably be very different 20 years later when that same person faces possible increasing hospital bills and the inevitable maintenance costs and , depending on the inflation rate , increased living costs whilst seeing decreasing income probablities

But put simply , and Im only speaking about myself , even the loss of a mere $100k AUD on a property I know I cant own , is something I can ill afford
(Particularly as I become , by the year less and less employable)
In my previous life my main interest in real estate was ( besides having somewhere to live ) in capital gain
I dont see how I can achieve a capital gain and money in the bank over here when I cant own the property in the first place ,,,,