Hong Kong & Macao

C

Changone

Guest
Things to do...?

Well it depends what you like but worthwhile days out are

Horse Racing - Shatin Racecourse (Also Happy Valley)
Entry Fee $10hkd
Tourist badge, bought at the track (gets you entry to members area) $100-$130hkd depending on the race meet
MTR takes you right there and back

Big Buddha
MTR to Tung Chung
Sky lift or bus to the Buddha place Nong Ping

Disneyland
MTR to Sunny Bay then "Mickey Mouse" themed train to the Disney park.
Adults full day tickets $500hkd
What little (and big) kids wouldn't love this....?

Macau Casinos
Travel ex Hong Kong Fast ferries every hour,
Or treat yourself and take the chopper...555
free buses to all the casinos



 

Nautilus

New member
Chob;284432 said:
Nauti - its been about 36c here for a solid 2 months ... Im conditioned ...

Havent booked anything but.

When are the Chinese festive times to avoid mate ?
Chinese New Year is over, i think next up is the Lantern Festival in September.

The discover hong kong website got lots of information.


It's been very hot in Kuala Lumpur also and you won't believe this, due to the heat, air conditioners now have a waiting list of 30 days. 5555555
 
C

Changone

Guest

The queues for stuff can be ridiculous, even to get simple takeaway food.
We went to the "Peak Tram" on saturday afternoon and just walked away.
So many people do this, that they actually limit your time stay at the peak.

When we came back off the skylift at Big Buddha, the queue stretched back out down the stairs and right down to the main road.
There was a sign there saying "Wait time from here at least 115 minutes"....

Timing can be really everything...
 

Chob

Moderator
Well there ya go...
I would have thought the main interests would be unique , but 'going to the track' isnt much of a turn on for an Australian , and Ive been to two Disneyland/worlds already.
That leaves the big buddha and we already got one ! 555

The peak sounds alright ( thanks Nauti for the time suggestion ) .. maybe its just one of those cities that its great to just walk around and "feel" ??
 

Nautilus

New member
Yeap, just walk around and take in the "feel". It's very nice actually. Timing for tourist attractions is very important especially weekends when the mainland chinese tourist come in thousands.

Buy a Octopus card and just take the subway, everything is so connected, but carefull which exit you exit, might lead to elsewhere. 555
 

Chob

Moderator
Nautilus;284436 said:
Chinese New Year is over, i think next up is the Lantern Festival in September.

The discover hong kong website got lots of information.


It's been very hot in Kuala Lumpur also and you won't believe this, due to the heat, air conditioners now have a waiting list of 30 days. 5555555
Ok Jonny - we got ourselves a business ! 555
 

Chob

Moderator
Now if I should go alone ....

What areas should I stay in for that umm , Patong feel ?
BFs , lady friendly hotels , riotous bars etc??
When are you going there next Jonny ?
 

Nautilus

New member
Chob;284441 said:
Now if I should go alone ....

What areas should I stay in for that umm , Patong feel ?
BFs , lady friendly hotels , riotous bars etc??
When are you going there next Jonny ?
I am going in December, prefer the cool winter weather. I will be in Patong from 5th July to 10th July, will give you a ring if you are around.

Lan Kwai Fong or Wan Chai or Causeway Bay area should fit your requirements.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Chob;284441 said:
Now if I should go alone ....

What areas should I stay in for that umm , Patong feel ?
BFs , lady friendly hotels , riotous bars etc??
When are you going there next Jonny ?
Wan Chai and it was pretty damn good.....don't know if that is the case anymore but has been around forever so I assume it still is
 

Nautilus

New member
MarcTwoSix;284448 said:
Wan Chai and it was pretty damn good.....don't know if that is the case anymore but has been around forever so I assume it still is
Was there last year and Wan Chai is still fantastic at night.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Chob;284438 said:
Well there ya go...
I would have thought the main interests would be unique , but 'going to the track' isnt much of a turn on for an Australian , and Ive been to two Disneyland/worlds already.
That leaves the big buddha and we already got one ! 555

The peak sounds alright ( thanks Nauti for the time suggestion ) .. maybe its just one of those cities that its great to just walk around and "feel" ??
When I'm in a big city that is all I want out of it.....the city itself.
I might read up on some landmarks and make a note so that if I am in the area I can try and walk by and see them.

I'm not a tour guy
Although last tour guy I did was awesome.
Old speakeasys in Chicago...... A company I do business arranged it
So awesome
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Nautilus;284449 said:
Was there last year and Wan Chai is still fantastic at night.
Good to hear
I really loved that area.
Good bars and pubs for food and drink and just chill and then great discos
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Fenwick's was the best disco I liked but the other big disco up the stairs, New Makati had super hot Indonesian girls
 
C

Changone

Guest
Chob;284438 said:
Well there ya go...
I would have thought the main interests would be unique..
You could be forgiven for thinking that, but as with most other places today there is a "Sameness" creeping in compared to trips past. For me, a lot of the "Unique" experiences have gone.
 

Chob

Moderator
Yeh , I hear ya ...
Monocultures , predictable sameness ...

But HK has been around a coupla centuries and I just assumed there'd be some unique buildings , art collections, cultural attractions ...
 

Nautilus

New member
Chob;284480 said:
Yeh , I hear ya ...
Monocultures , predictable sameness ...

But HK has been around a coupla centuries and I just assumed there'd be some unique buildings , art collections, cultural attractions ...
What amazes me are temples in the middle of skyscrapers. I went to one, i think it was a Nunnery, very peacefull considering the surroundings.

There are some unique buildings around, just have to walk a lot to find.
 
Top