I'm falling apart.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Early admission time, is so that everyone comes in the day before, & we all know what Thai timekeeping is like. 555

Repeat blood tests. Without being cynical & considering the money side, it's because something might have changed in your blood profile which could affect the Surgery.
Like alcohol or yaaba ... in most rural Thai's, not our Faz.

MarcTwoSix

I find it quite amusing and confusing as to why the hospitals make so much fuss and unnecessary policies for some basic, minor surgery procedures.

Practically ever surgery procedure requires an overnight stay in a hospital, when in the UK you'd be regarded as an out patient.
My recent experience of cataract surgery involved being admitted merely to put drops in my eyes and take blood pressure readings hours beforehand.
Then after the OP it's a case of more drops and hours of waiting before being released, whereas I daresay in other Countries, subject to any problems, you'd be examined and released an hour later.
It really is overkill in some respects.
Again this coming weekend I'm undergoing a non-invasive surgery procedure to inject 'stuff' into a 'bulging' disc.
So why then do they require me to 'check in' at 8am Sunday morning when the procedure is scheduled for Monday morning.
More screening blood tests - why do I require blood tests again?
The surgeon states it's just a local anaesthetic, and I'll be able to walk immediately afterwards, so why do I have to wait, as I'm told, for 6 hours after surgery to be released. They already have all my medical records, blood group and more test results than an astronaut requires, so why?

The wife tells me it's because they take the greatest care of their patients.
I just think they haven't moved forward with the rest of the world.
These would be considered 'outpatient' procedures anywhere else.
As @Faraday said, it's just an old school mentality

And I think that's a good thing!

I like how careful and precise, even unnecessary overdoing it, at times, Thai hospitals can be

I remember getting into a MB accident and going to Phuket Intercontinental every day

Sure, the nurse was cute as hell and I went on a couple dates with her
But besides that, I generally looked forward to going there every day because so much care was put into that little detail of cleaning my cuts
A rather mundane task for a hotel

Faz

Update:
Sunday 31st March.
As requested, we turn up at Roi Et provincial hospital at 1000 for 'tests' (plural), in preparation of tomorrow's non-invasive surgery procedure on a disc, and as is standard I place my arm in a monitor to measure heart rate and blood pressure. We spend the next 2 hours waiting to be taken to the private room we prebooked.
After going through a labyrinth of different corridors to a different building, then taking a lift to the 12th floor, we eventually reach our destination, only not the one we expected. This was a general ward (not private), stifling humidity, 35C and no air con. There's obviously been a mistake, but we're told no, there are no private rooms available (even though we prebooked it).
So, I ask about the 'tests' - blank expressions, what tests?
For the first time, we find out the operation is scheduled for 0900 tomorrow morning, but between now and then, there are no tests, I can eat and drink as much as I like. So what's the point of staying all afternoon, evening and overnight?

We're told we can go back home provided we return at 0700 in the morning.
On the way out, we cancel the private room that wasn't available, to ensure we're not billed for it.
1800 we receive a call from a nurse stating the doctor will not proceed with the operation unless we stay the night.
I'm reading between the lines here and knowing the timekeeping of Thais, the concern is if we're late arriving it throws the surgeon's schedule into disarray and wastes his time, I can understand that, but I wonder if he was informed of the private room issue, so a bit of banter back and forth.
1830 we receive another call and lo and behold a private room is now available, so we agree to return at 2100.
1915 a further call advising if we're not there for 2000, they'll let the room.
All 3 calls are from different members of nursing staff.
The wife is just putting the evening meal out for the family and to be expected to eat your meal and get to the hospital within the next 45 minutes is a big ask, so I tell them at such short notice we'll be there as soon as we can and if the room is no longer vacant, we'll cancel and reschedule the operation, but I will be in early in the morning to see the head of the hospital for an explanation of the hospitals handling and organisation needs.

We arrive at 2020 and are shown to block 7, just one of many blocks, 6 floors high, 12 private rooms per floor.
There are 4 available rooms on our floor alone.
Total chaos, disorganisation, breakdown in communication and utter BS threats. This is one side of Thailand that pisses me off.

Faraday

Damn stressful, I'm sure.
Just think ahead 24 hours & your back will be sorted...🙂

I had an awesome day.Tell you tomorrow...🙂

Reactions: Faz

MarcTwoSix

Update:
Sunday 31st March.
As requested, we turn up at Roi Et provincial hospital at 1000 for 'tests' (plural), in preparation of tomorrow's non-invasive surgery procedure on a disc, and as is standard I place my arm in a monitor to measure heart rate and blood pressure. We spend the next 2 hours waiting to be taken to the private room we prebooked.
After going through a labyrinth of different corridors to a different building, then taking a lift to the 12th floor, we eventually reach our destination, only not the one we expected. This was a general ward (not private), stifling humidity, 35C and no air con. There's obviously been a mistake, but we're told no, there are no private rooms available (even though we prebooked it).
So, I ask about the 'tests' - blank expressions, what tests?
For the first time, we find out the operation is scheduled for 0900 tomorrow morning, but between now and then, there are no tests, I can eat and drink as much as I like. So what's the point of staying all afternoon, evening and overnight?

We're told we can go back home provided we return at 0700 in the morning.
On the way out, we cancel the private room that wasn't available, to ensure we're not billed for it.
1800 we receive a call from a nurse stating the doctor will not proceed with the operation unless we stay the night.
I'm reading between the lines here and knowing the timekeeping of Thais, the concern is if we're late arriving it throws the surgeon's schedule into disarray and wastes his time, I can understand that, but I wonder if he was informed of the private room issue, so a bit of banter back and forth.
1830 we receive another call and lo and behold a private room is now available, so we agree to return at 2100.
1915 a further call advising if we're not there for 2000, they'll let the room.
All 3 calls are from different members of nursing staff.
The wife is just putting the evening meal out for the family and to be expected to eat your meal and get to the hospital within the next 45 minutes is a big ask, so I tell them at such short notice we'll be there as soon as we can and if the room is no longer vacant, we'll cancel and reschedule the operation, but I will be in early in the morning to see the head of the hospital for an explanation of the hospitals handling and organisation needs.

We arrive at 2020 and are shown to block 7, just one of many blocks, 6 floors high, 12 private rooms per floor.
There are 4 available rooms on our floor alone.
Total chaos, disorganisation, breakdown in communication and utter BS threats. This is one side of Thailand that pisses me off.
And of course then acting like the farang is being completely unreasonable and hot headed to expect proper service and communication.....

Faz

The most uncomfortable nights sleep in years.
The beds are not the most comfortable, and the aircon has a mind of its own, regardless of settings.
Put my head down just after 2300, up at 0530 and lucky if I had 3 hours sleep.

The usual chaos again this morning.
I'm informed the doctor is coming to visit me in a few minutes................ that was 90 minutes ago.
Despite being informed yesterday, the op would be performed at 0900, today nobody seems to have a clue what time.

One point of positive news, though.
Since having the cataract operation exactly two weeks ago, I've found it difficult to open and keep the eye open in the morning, as it's been very sensitive to light.
It's usually taken an hour or two to adjust.
But this morning I was able to open my eye immediately, and keep it open, so progress.

I'm now being told I am first, so gotta go.
The surgeons just run through the procedure and what to expect.
Takes 20-30 minutes,
See ya all later folks.

Faz

And of course then acting like the farang is being completely unreasonable and hot headed to expect proper service and communication.....
There was never a heated debate, more questioning their reasoning and applying some common sense.

After the surgeon ran through the procedure, I had a word with him about the previous day's events.
He was unaware we were told there were no private rooms available when we arrived.
His concern was, as I'd already anticipated, we'd arrive late the following morning and disrupt his scheduled 5 ops for that day.

He said it was miscommunication between the changing shifts that caused the misunderstandings.
A bit like Chinese whispers, where the exact message is never fully passed on.
All ended well with smiles and laughter.

Faz

So all went well with the OP and on time.
The anaesthetic needle being inserted certainly extracts an 'Ooooh' outcry, after which the only thing I felt was the 'stuff' being pumped into the disc in very small amounts, each time checking his monitor to achieve the desired outcome.
I was in theatre for 30 minutes, but the op only took around 15 minutes.

I was taken back to my room and told to rest and relax for a couple of hours and if I felt OK, I could go home.
1130 I rang for my lift, the SIL.
After little sleep last night, I took to my own bed after a ham and cheese toastie, where I conked out for the next 4 hours.
I'm not feeling any discomfort, slight tenderness, but not painful.

Just a plaster covering the area, which I'm told I can remove tomorrow and carry on with duties as normal.
Return appointment made for 2nd May as a precautionary checkup.