Info site for Cambodia

Hatari

from just US$650,000 . . . in a country where several million earn the 40 hour minimum wage of US $95 per month, or less . . . and the roads are hardly 'Rolls-worthy'

Rolls-Royce opens showroom
Thu, 19 March 2015

Rolls-Royce officially launched its showroom in Cambodia yesterday, with both government and the luxury-car maker forecasting a rosy sales outlook for the high-end vehicle.

In June, Rolls-Royce appointed HGB Group Co Ltd, the distributor for Mazda and Kia vehicles in Cambodia, to be the official dealership. The 540-square-metre showroom, located on Street 217, is housing Rolls-Royce’s Phantom, Wraith and Ghost models, with prices starting at about $650,000.

“I said last year that the situation in Cambodia has finally attracted the import of luxurious cars already due to the annual 7 per cent growth of the country economy,” said Cham Prasidh, minister of industry and handicraft, at the launch of Rolls-Royce showroom yesterday.

“And there is also a rising of middle-class family who can afford [to buy the car]. They are wealthy from business or from booming land prices, which has increased the number of wealthier people in Cambodia,” the minister said.

Prasidh said that “not less than 20” Rolls Royce vehicles had been sold since June. The minister took aim at international media for suggesting that the luxury brand was unlikely to sell in Cambodia.

Rolls-Royce is the latest luxury vehicle brand to enter the Kingdom’s new car market, joining BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, Land Rover and Jaguar.

Hatari

A Hidden Wonder of Cambodia revealed
Sat, 21 March 2015

In Cambodia’s remote far northern reaches, tucked against the border with Laos, is the mostly dry forest of Western Siem Pang. Pockmarked with trapeangs (waterholes), it’s home to a remarkable number of species virtually extinct everywhere else.

The forest is one of the last places in the world where it’s possible to find critically endangered white shouldered ibises, red–headed vultures, slender-billed vultures, white-rumped vultures, giant ibises (Cambodia’s national bird) and a whole range of other endangered species.

The site is about seven hours drive from Phnom Penh – just head to Stung Treng and turn right – there’s a guest house in Siem Pang town and camping is possible.

The giant ibis, one of the world’s most endagered species

A male and female Eld’s deer during wet season

The golden jackal is one of the few predators left

Nomad

Thinking about heading to Cambodia some time, yet need to be able to keep in contact with clients in Australia. Is the hotel internet coverage and mobile phone reception in Siem Reap reasonable?
Attached files

Moo Uaon

^ don't think it'll be a problem,SR is a high profile tourist destination.

check re any internet complaints on trip advisor before booking a hotel.
Attached files

Nomad

Moo Uaon;217476 said:
^ don't think it'll be a problem,SR is a high profile tourist destination.

check re any internet complaints on trip advisor before booking a hotel.

Thanks Moo.

How many days to see the main tourist sites?

Moo Uaon

^ 3 days would be enough to see angkor wat and out to the lake tonle sap...2 is probably possible.

Hatari

Construction Starts on Prime Minister’s ‘Win-Win’ Stupa
by Kang Sothear | February 26, 2016 | អានជាភាសាខ្មែរ

Construction of a massive me*morial in Phnom Penh’s Chroy Changva district designed to pay homage to the achievements of Prime Minister Hun Sen commenced on Thursday, with a De*fense Ministry spokesman en*cour*aging public donations to en*sure its speedy completion.

The stupa’s three pillars will mark the successes of Mr. Hun Sen’s “win-win” policy, which the prime minister credits with ending decades of civil war in the country, said Chhum Socheat, spokes*man for the Defense Ministry.

“The first one will showcase the historic harmonization, the se*cond one will show the peace achieved through the win-win policy and the third will show achievements brought by the win-win policy,” General Socheat said.

The spokesman did not disclose details on how the 8-hectare stupa compound—located on land donated by CPP Sen*ator Ly Yong Phat, one of the coun*try’s wealthiest businessmen—would be funded. However, he en*cour*aged donations from Cam*bo*dians both at home and abroad to hasten its completion.

“We have a financial plan, but we cannot disclose it because we want to be open to public contributions. The duration of construction depends on the financial contribution by Cambodian people both inside and outside the country,” Gen. Socheat said. “The more contributions, the faster construction will be.”

In February last year, officials an*nounced that the walls of the monument would feature reliefs illustrating achievements including the formation of the United Front for the National Salvation of Kampuchea on December 2, 1978, and the toppling of the Khmer Rouge on January 7, 1979, after which Vietnam installed a government with Mr. Hun Sen initially serving as foreign minister.

Opposition spokesman Yem Pon*hearith, who chairs the Na*tional Assembly’s commission on ed*ucation, culture and tour*ism, wel*comed the construction of the stu*pa and applauded the leg*acy of the prime minister’s win-win policy.

“I think the win-win policy means that all Cambodians win by ending wars and by promoting na*tional solidarity and understanding between Cambodians,” he said. “So building a stupa to re*call the history of Cambodia is good.”

OZZYGUY

Wow good timing glad this thread got bumped I booked flights to Seim Reap yesterday for a 3 night trip

Stillearly

OZZYGUY;275301 said:
Wow good timing glad this thread got bumped I booked flights to Seim Reap yesterday for a 3 night trip
Just round the corner from Pub St , there were a couple of bars I enjoyed , The Warehouse and The Laundry , next to the Stueng Seim Reap hotel , also at that end of Pub St , was the Blue Pumpkin Cafe ( superb Rocky Road ice cream ... ) and a restaurant called the Palm ( iirc ) they did a great Kymer taster menu

Hatari

Stillearly;275305 said:
Just round the corner from Pub St , there were a couple of bars I enjoyed , The Warehouse and The Laundry , next to the Stueng Seim Reap hotel , also at that end of Pub St , was the Blue Pumpkin Cafe ( superb Rocky Road ice cream ... )
Blue Pumpkin in Phnom Penh is fantastic, main one on Sisowath Quay, great views across the promenade, Tonle Sap river to the new Sokha hotel on other side. Smaller BP upstairs at back of Monument Books

Blue Pumpkin, in white building centre of pic

Smaller BP at rear of store, upstairs. Monument Books well worth a visit, if you like books...

Stillearly

Didn't realise there was more than one , just googled them and the now have 16 cafes in Cambodia ..... doing well , I visited every afternoon I was there ;)

OZZYGUY

Stillearly;275305 said:
Just round the corner from Pub St , there were a couple of bars I enjoyed , The Warehouse and The Laundry , next to the Stueng Seim Reap hotel , also at that end of Pub St , was the Blue Pumpkin Cafe ( superb Rocky Road ice cream ... ) and a restaurant called the Palm ( iirc ) they did a great Kymer taster menu
We are staying at this place, got 3 nights with beaky and airport transfers for just under $100 AUD.

Billina Boutique - Siem Reap Budget Hotel & Accommodation

Not sure where that is in relation to Pub st

OZZYGUY

kaptainrob;275429 said:
That's a nice hotel, about 10 mins fast walk from Pub street, easy cab/tuk tuk ride. SR is very compact.
Its a bit flash for what I normally stay at.

Whats SR like on a MB? and for Ankor wat would I be better doing on our own or get a guide

Moo Uaon

your own bike and a good map

or

get a guide to pick you up and take you around or follow them on a bike.