Its confirmed November 2018

MarcTwoSix

Cippy;393525 said:
I don't know. I have plenty of of Canadian ham, plenty of Spanish hams that are ridiculously expensive and of course Italian hams, Grandma would not go for the lame American knock offs, she and now Pops and I only went for imported Capicola (my favorite), Coppa, Mortadella, bresaola, Porchetta etc. We still go down to the same shop in what was once an Italian neighbourhood. I find the meat very high quality. Of course, it is not cured with the mastery handed down through the generations, but still high quality in LOS. Damn I am making myself homesick. 555

I couldn't touch the village chicken, skinny, tough and tasted like the garbage they subsisted on.

Tomatoes too I found awful. The tended to taste like the water they were grown with, swamp water. The wife hated tomatoes too until i finally got her to try a particularly sweet Roma. Now the grow in the garden next to the Thai Chillies. 555
In Boston we have such a cold cut culture........Every house always has cold cuts in the fridge
Vancouver has a bit on Commercial Dr but nowhere as good as home

bacwaan

I was talking about fresh butchered pork..sirloin in particular, in my post..but I do love charcuterie...I grew up eating the french and italian versions of it plus the complimentary regional cheeses and pickled conserves which go with it....unfortunately there is very little in the way of good Thai produced "deli food" in LoS...there are a few triers, one of whom is TGM (Thai German Meats..who make decent german sausages, salamis, hams etc..but far from the real thing) and there are quite a few regional "cottage producers" having a crack...several of these in Samui...however we are centuries behind in this culture here with very little real market here...

Tesco, Makro, Big C etc all carry their own selections of imported deli foods however they are usually vacpacked and not the greatest quality..but they will do when you really crave an affordable cold cut + cheese antipasto platter

There is an Italian Deli in Lamai not far from my house..it is not unusual for me to walk out of there with a handful of things having droped a couple of K baht...(his hand made pasta is deeelicious)

Plus I am lucky to have a neighbour who has his own smoking set up..he has done me sides of salmon, canadian style bacon (from the aforementioned pork sirloins) various sausages and some great pastrami from time to time...for an amateur he sure has produced some tasty stuff

Ian Forbes

There is a pork butcher outlet store right behind my friend's laundry shop. They sell excellent cuts of meat at a very reasonable price. I can buy a lovely loin for 40 baht (less than $2). Nong often buys great, meaty pork ribs that one of her staff barbeques right behind the laundry shop and we all "pig" out on it. I supply the beer for the staff from the 7-11 next door. Kuhn Nam is an excellent cook and the pork ribs are to die for.
Sitting on little stools in the parking lot and eating ribs and drinking beer and sharing stories with friends is what it's all about. I would much rather do that then eat alone at the fanciest restaurant in the world.

Cippy

MarcTwoSix;393526 said:
In Boston we have such a cold cut culture........Every house always has cold cuts in the fridge
Vancouver has a bit on Commercial Dr but nowhere as good as home
That's cause Boston is silly with Italians. We love our Cold cuts, cause they focking fantastic! Of course everyone else would get on board with that.

If we were living around the turn of the 20th century it would have been the Italians Trump would bet trying to keep out. 555

Cippy

bacwaan;393528 said:
I was talking about fresh butchered pork..sirloin in particular, in my post..but I do love charcuterie...I grew up eating the french and italian versions of it plus the complimentary regional cheeses and pickled conserves which go with it....unfortunately there is very little in the way of good Thai produced "deli food" in LoS...there are a few triers, one of whom is TGM (Thai German Meats..who make decent german sausages, salamis, hams etc..but far from the real thing) and there are quite a few regional "cottage producers" having a crack...several of these in Samui...however we are centuries behind in this culture here with very little real market here...

Tesco, Makro, Big C etc all carry their own selections of imported deli foods however they are usually vacpacked and not the greatest quality..but they will do when you really crave an affordable cold cut + cheese antipasto platter

There is an Italian Deli in Lamai not far from my house..it is not unusual for me to walk out of there with a handful of things having droped a couple of K baht...(his hand made pasta is deeelicious)

Plus I am lucky to have a neighbour who has his own smoking set up..he has done me sides of salmon, canadian style bacon (from the aforementioned pork sirloins) various sausages and some great pastrami from time to time...for an amateur he sure has produced some tasty stuff
Well, Damn, I wish I was coming there next time. 555

Our next visit we will avoid the village like the plague. 555 It was just too much for us last time. It was stupid hot, even for Thailand on Songkran, over 100 Fahrenheit and the wife wanted me to spend 14 hours a day out there with no aircon. 555 Plus we were overwhelmed with all the village begging for money and booze and stupidity like people trying to make off with the baby and drive her around drunk on a motorbike with out telling us (no joke).

That's a long way of saying we will bring the immediate family down to the beach, which means cheap, which means Pattaya/Jomtiem.

That's a long way of saying I wish we were coming to Lamai. It will be my first time east of BKK.

MarcTwoSix

Cippy;393531 said:
Well, Damn, I wish I was coming there next time. 555

Our next visit we will avoid the village like the plague. 555 It was just too much for us last time. It was stupid hot, even for Thailand on Songkran, over 100 Fahrenheit and the wife wanted me to spend 14 hours a day out there with no aircon. 555 Plus we were overwhelmed with all the village begging for money and booze and stupidity like people trying to make off with the baby and drive her around drunk on a motorbike with out telling us (no joke).

That's a long way of saying we will bring the immediate family down to the beach, which means cheap, which means Pattaya/Jomtiem.

That's a long way of saying I wish we were coming to Lamai. It will be my first time east of BKK.
Have you thought about Ao Nang?
It's pretty cheap and Ao loved it..........I think it has a much more local feel than most beach destinations
Flights are real cheap too

We stayed about a 5min scooter ride to beach and it was like being in any local town....it was great

Cippy

MarcTwoSix;393533 said:
Have you thought about Ao Nang?
It's pretty cheap and Ao loved it..........I think it has a much more local feel than most beach destinations
Flights are real cheap too

We stayed about a 5min scooter ride to beach and it was like being in any local town....it was great
We've been on our drive from Loei to Phuket when I moved my wife out of her place in Kata.

The issue we are having is transport cost for five, the wife is determined to fly everybody, so BKK then taxi is as far as I go.

MarcTwoSix

Cippy;393535 said:
We've been on our drive from Loei to Phuket when I moved my wife out of her place in Kata.

The issue we are having is transport cost for five, the wife is determined to fly everybody, so BKK then taxi is as far as I go.
flights on Air Asia are around 60usd sometimes cheaper for Ao Nang if you book ahead

I just think a much nicer play to take the family

I actually saw a great new apartment/condo that was a great price

If interested I can find it for you

Here's a nice 2bdrm for like 350usd for 4 nights

https://www.booking.com/hotel/th/th...fe3f7ca895aa0155;type=total;ucfs=1&#hotelTmpl

Cippy

MarcTwoSix;393536 said:
flights on Air Asia are around 60usd sometimes cheaper for Ao Nang if you book ahead

I just think a much nicer play to take the family

I actually saw a great new apartment/condo that was a great price

If interested I can find it for you

Here's a nice 2bdrm for like 350usd for 4 nights
555, I guess you don't know what's is like to travel on a budget.

I got laid off this year, and working as a contractor is about a $20,000/year punch in the gut, plus the added expense of health insurance, which I don't get paid for anymore. Just getting us there is going to be a stretch. If it weren't for the extra car payment for a car in Thailand I don't drive, tuition for the wife's school (plus maybe my tuition too as I seek to reinvent myself), etc, etc, maybe I could afford an extra $60x5 both ways plus the same again to fly them from Loei. I wouldn't go at all if it did not impinge on my wife's happiness.

This may even turn into going straight to the village for a week and that's it, no frills at all. But I do appreciate the suggestion.

MarcTwoSix

Cippy;393537 said:
555, I guess you don't know what's is like to travel on a budget.

I got laid off this year, and working as a contractor is about a $20,000/year punch in the gut, plus the added expense of health insurance, which I don't get paid for anymore. Just getting us there is going to be a stretch. If it weren't for the extra car payment for a car in Thailand I don't drive, tuition for the wife's school (plus maybe my tuition too as I seek to reinvent myself), etc, etc, maybe I could afford an extra $60x5 both ways plus the same again to fly them from Loei. I wouldn't go at all if it did not impinge on my wife's happiness.

This may even turn into going straight to the village for a week and that's it, no frills at all. But I do appreciate the suggestion.
I definitely appreciate it.........and it hits home when a lot of the time it's a solo flight me going to LOS or Ao coming here
But then we have Ao, her mom and son come to Canada and that adds up!

I am probably making an unplanned trip to Thailand next month and trying to stay within a decent budget
I thought I'd be doing Cuba real cheap but now may be off the table

Cobba

bacwaan;393492 said:
^ pork would just about be the last thing I'd be bringing into Thailand...the quality and price here is excellent...the "Sirloins" as pictured in Cobba's photo are about half the price here (about AUS$5 a kilo) of what it is in AUS/NZ if bought in Makro....
Agree with the quality in Thailand but it’s not Pork I am taking..... Homemade loin bacon is..... I am pretty lucky living close to the biggest Asian community in Aus (Cabramatta) where there is a butcher shop on every corner competing against each other. I pay $6.50/kg for Bone in loin...... Expensive compared to what it costs per kg for already prepared bacon so have had comments from friends as to why I bother making it myself.... The reason I give is that my home made bacon s**ts on any commercial bacon I have tried.

I will post some photos when I get to smoking the bacon, and then slicing. Maple syrup is a ingredient I use in the cure and smoked with apple wood finishes so delicious 😋

Ian Forbes

That explains cooking ANYTHING, Cobba. Everyone enjoys a different taste. I have about 6 ways I cook or smoke salmon. They all taste different.

MarcTwoSix

Cobba;393545 said:
Agree with the quality in Thailand but it’s not Pork I am taking..... Homemade loin bacon is..... I am pretty lucky living close to the biggest Asian community in Aus (Cabramatta) where there is a butcher shop on every corner competing against each other. I pay $6.50/kg for Bone in loin...... Expensive compared to what it costs per kg for already prepared bacon so have had comments from friends as to why I bother making it myself.... The reason I give is that my home made bacon s**ts on any commercial bacon I have tried.

I will post some photos when I get to smoking the bacon, and then slicing. Maple syrup is a ingredient I use in the cure and smoked with apple wood finishes so delicious ��
I am sure they will appreciate the gesture regardless

Just a couple things

Don't expect a great Thank You.
Thais can be sort of shy when receiving things. Not all but a lot of them.

And they may not love the sweetness of it

But as I said, they will definitely appreciate the gesture and I think it's great to do

retdent

Cippy;393525 said:
Tomatoes too I found awful. The tended to taste like the water they were grown with, swamp water. The wife hated tomatoes too until i finally got her to try a particularly sweet Roma. Now the grow in the garden next to the Thai Chillies. 555
Here where I live the tomatoes were never eaten fresh, they were always cooked or combined into a dip. The locals found them smelly and tasteless. I brought several varieties from Au. and some grew well. The locals loved them and have converted to eating them fresh, so much so that some are now grown comercially and sold at market by an uncle, others just in the home gardens.

bacwaan

I always buy the cherry tomatoes by the bag..cheap as chips and a sweet/ripe great flavour if you select well....I use the smaller ones for salads and the larger ones split for cooking/sauces...I also throw into sauces a bunch of the ripest sweet ones whole to get that pop in the mouth...bloody delicious...

Cobba

Ok, I fly out of Sydney on Monday, for two nights in Bangkok then we will leave BKK on 24th and drive down to Surat Thani. We have decided to leave early in the morning and take our time sightseeing on the way, to stop approximately half way and stay for the night. Any recommendations where is a nice spot, preferably close to the water and somewhere where we can dine on some good local seafood for dinner..... ?

MarcTwoSix

Cobba;394886 said:
Ok, I fly out of Sydney on Monday, for two nights in Bangkok then we will leave BKK on 24th and drive down to Surat Thani. We have decided to leave early in the morning and take our time sightseeing on the way, to stop approximately half way and stay for the night. Any recommendations where is a nice spot, preferably close to the water and somewhere where we can dine on some good local seafood for dinner..... ?
Hua Hin or Cha Am is pretty much smack halfway

HH is more western tourists
Cha Am is very much a Thai beach area

Both beaches aren't that great but plenty of seafood

In Cha Am you can get a table at the beach and the restaurants from across the street will give you menus to order

It will be almost 100% Thai