It's that time again..............

Z

Zablive

Ian Forbes;316448 said:
Don't see many farangs in rural Udon Thani, either, but I'm sure there are some. My Iceland friend, Ziggy, can't be the only one.
Not so sure as most of the attractive, young girls seem to have become BGs in resort areas 555!

MarcTwoSix

dave01;316359 said:
BS, is a great place.... we often head down there to the on water seafood joints. I did consider living there, but rents are a wee bit higher than Jomtien and there are really no facilities to speak of.... so it is a fair trundle into town for the weekly/fortnightly shop etc.

It is a very beautiful place tho, that is for sure.
I drove through Jomtien for the 1st time in November.
I thought it would be much more laid back from her people described it but still comes as bit of a concrete jungle to me.

If it were me, and I wasn't looking to drink every night, I'd stay a bit more quiet and head to Jomtien/Pattaya when wanting to go out.

If Pattaya area gets Uber, cheap as chips

Ian Forbes

Cippy;316451 said:
Really? I see tons. Compared to Loei, where I knew just about every full time expat there, Udon seemed to be teeming with farang. I felt like a walking cliché with all the mixed couples.
Maybe where my friend Ziggy lives is a little more RURAL than where you are talking about. I saw lots of farangs in the city, but when I rode all over the countryside, I didn't see one farang in two days. I stopped at many little markets for food, and needed my GPS just to find my way back to Ziggy's home. I enjoy mini-adventures like that. It's not earth shattering excitement, but just pleasant fun. I found places that Ziggy hadn't been... and he lives there.
Attached files

Z

Zablive

I too have traveled/stayed in the boonies of Udon and not seen a farang for days.

Ian Forbes

Zablive;316466 said:
I too have traveled/stayed in the boonies of Udon and not seen a farang for days.
In 1997 I visited a lady in Sakhon Nakhon. I spent 2 weeks in her city and only saw ONE farang the whole time. He was an old vet from the Vietnamese war and soured on life in the USA. He was disillusioned by the BS he had been told in the states... about saving the world from communism.

Gazmac

When i go home to the village , the only time i see another Farang is occasionally when we go to the big towns shopping . Even then its a definite rarity !
Can go for a month and maybe see 1 or 2 over the entire time !

Tez

Yep Stayed in Phon Charoen over near Bueng Kan for a few days. There was only 3 farangs including me and a mate that has a Thai wife. Na Seang only 2 including me Very sureal exp. Went to see a band and I was the only non Thai speaking person there ha ha Luckily I had company. Always fun

Moo Uaon

Tez;316537 said:
Yep Stayed in Phon Charoen over near Bueng Kan for a few days. There was only 3 farangs including me and a mate that has a Thai wife. Na Seang only 2 including me Very sureal exp. Went to see a band and I was the only non Thai speaking person there ha ha Luckily I had company. Always fun
They can come out of the woodwork around those parts. Farang restaurant at Seka I've met a few who love it round those parts and have only been to bueng kan an Bangkok in over a decade there.

Cippy

We had a farang owned bar in Loei and it made the expats there into a little community otherwise you would never see them.

The one exception is in the only large Tesco in the city (small city of 100,000). I always saw one or two there. But, I think it was mostly visitors come to see their girlfriends/wives families.

I was talking about in town in Udon. That is where we went to feel like we were back in civilization. 555 The Central Festival and nearby Soi Farang with its two bar complexes are crawling with visitors and lots of locals that come in from around Isaan.

MarcTwoSix

Here's a controversial post....

I think I've met less than a handful of expats that lived in the village that I didn't think were total asshats.
Half of them adopt Thai guys attitudes towards women, the other half think they know all about Thailand and weirdly, most of them seemed more detached from their Thai families than I've seen with expats that live in touristy areas.

Now, we have a lot of members that I really like that are building houses and will likely end up living in the village, and I'd assume they wouldn't end up like above

But I am just given my honest observation of farangs I have know who lived in the village.

But......That is probably about only 15 guys tips that I have met personally, so not a huge sample size

Cippy

MarcTwoSix;316591 said:
Here's a controversial post....

I think I've met less than a handful of expats that lived in the village that I didn't think were total asshats.
Half of them adopt Thai guys attitudes towards women, the other half think they know all about Thailand and weirdly, most of them seemed more detached from their Thai families than I've seen with expats that live in touristy areas.

Now, we have a lot of members that I really like that are building houses and will likely end up living in the village, and I'd assume they wouldn't end up like above

But I am just given my honest observation of farangs I have know who lived in the village.

But......That is probably about only 15 guys tips that I have met personally, so not a huge sample size
555, I hope you include me in that list of non-ass-hats.

Actually, I don't care. I agree with you to a certain extent. There was one other farang in our village and I didn't like him at all. I see a lot of guys that like the village life because they are pretty much accepted for who they are, misogynist, alcoholics, etc.

But they guys I got to know in town were all pretty solid. Normal human quirks, but friendly and inviting, help you out when you need it. My buddy that owned the bar was always having huge bbqs at his bar, almost every Friday he wasn't down in the mines in WA. Had two nice older daughters. Offered me me a really clean car for just taking over the last two years of payments.

Hatari

The Chanthaburi Farang Report

Can't find recent stats, but end 2013 the local immigration office had their annual stats online - showed they'd processed 390 3 month reports in previous 12 months; my mountainbiking immigration officer (I'd get express service if I rode my bike there!) said about 140 across the two provincial offices, around 40 in the northern Soi Dao area - a Scandinavian community in the mountains (1550m altitude), the rest scattered in a population of 510,000, no idea where, just don't see them

Locally, our town of around 9000, just two permanently here, retired German, and the English head of dept at the school. Usually two young teachers from UK here for 6mth terms; one school in Chan city takes six at a time - easy to spot the new ones with glow-in-the-dark white skin

My count for last seven days - a German, Piotr, lives here Jan-Mar every year; and the English teacher.
We catch up a couple of times a year, don't want to overdo things

Saturday Sunday we stayed at a coast resort, two German couples there
Yesterday, a five hour cycle ride, met a Dutch couple, cycle-tourists. Waved to a group at a beach cafe...
Day before, a brief hello with an Australian hoping to find a shop with aircon to cool off. A trendy young Englishwoman teacher in Chan city whose black mourning clothes had a slight gothic look to them...

It's a good life, not for everyone though

Moo Uaon

Cippy;316588 said:
We had a farang owned bar in Loei and it made the expats there into a little community otherwise you would never see them. .
Mr Chris's mob? Have met a few of them there and at Nan.. Not a bad lot.
Big Yank on a Harley... Bob might be his name?

Cippy

Moo Uaon;316596 said:
Mr Chris's mob? Have met a few of them there and at Nan.. Not a bad lot.
Big Yank on a Harley... Bob might be his name?
Yes, Big Bob. Not so big anymore since he lost a foot to diabetes. Stationed in UDON in 73 and married a Loei lady back then. The Loei Gentlemen's bike club.

Accept Chris was one of the ones I didn't like. 555 Long story, but the buddy I am talking about had a falling out with the club. One member got his bar raided when he wouldn't stop smoking weed that was wafting into the neighboring restaurant. My friend couldn't let things go, never could. The club took sides and Chris opened up a competing bar across the street. I didn't take sides, but I never liked Chris. Chris started calling the police a lot himself. I was there for a few raids. No fun.

Moo Uaon

Yeah same Bob. Was going to say he was a Nam vet.

Amazing the rivalries that can go on with farangs in these places. Saw the same in CM.

MarcTwoSix

Cippy;316594 said:
555, I hope you include me in that list of non-ass-hats.

Actually, I don't care. I agree with you to a certain extent. There was one other farang in our village and I didn't like him at all. I see a lot of guys that like the village life because they are pretty much accepted for who they are, misogynist, alcoholics, etc.

But they guys I got to know in town were all pretty solid. Normal human quirks, but friendly and inviting, help you out when you need it. My buddy that owned the bar was always having huge bbqs at his bar, almost every Friday he wasn't down in the mines in WA. Had two nice older daughters. Offered me me a really clean car for just taking over the last two years of payments.
The jury is still out on you 555
Hopefully I can make a verdict sometime this spring when down in LA at some point

Cippy

MarcTwoSix;316610 said:
The jury is still out on you 555
Hopefully I can make a verdict sometime this spring when down in LA at some point
Yeah, dude, I'm down, or up, whatever. 555

I have a pretty good Idea of my schedule this time. I'll be home from Feb 15th to March 20th. Camping out at J-tree the weekend of the 11th and 12th.

I believe I PMed my details to you before.

Cuzzy

I found a Danish chap living in Au's village. I'd never seen him before although he's been there about three years.

Oddly enough, the family never mentioned him at all.

Nice guy, 40ish and married to one of the few good looking ladies in the village.

I see the occasional falang in Chumphae, non in Kaset or Phu Kiao.

supersub

1st time I went to Thailand I went to visit a girls family in her home village in Ubon Rachathani. It was smack bang in the boonies - Buntharik I think. Went to a local market to get bits with the girl and I was the only farang there. Didn't even see another farang the entire time I was there.