It's that time again..............

Cippy

supersub;316662 said:
1st time I went to Thailand I went to visit a girls family in her home village in Ubon Rachathani. It was smack bang in the boonies - Buntharik I think. Went to a local market to get bits with the girl and I was the only farang there. Didn't even see another farang the entire time I was there.
I did that for months on end. Don't really want to ever do that again. 555 I found some Thai traits that I found tolerable not so after that long. Although, I did become part of the community to a certain extent. We rented a shop front and I got to know everyone around us. And the in-laws were close. Too close! 55

Ian Forbes

MarcTwoSix;316591 said:
Here's a controversial post....

I think I've met less than a handful of expats that lived in the village that I didn't think were total asshats.
Half of them adopt Thai guys attitudes towards women, the other half think they know all about Thailand and weirdly, most of them seemed more detached from their Thai families than I've seen with expats that live in touristy areas.

Now, we have a lot of members that I really like that are building houses and will likely end up living in the village, and I'd assume they wouldn't end up like above

But I am just given my honest observation of farangs I have know who lived in the village.

But......That is probably about only 15 guys tips that I have met personally, so not a huge sample size
thaivisa was/is full of those people... men and women. I've met more than a few. But, I never worry about other people and their chosen lives. If someone is nasty then that is their problem. it's easy enough to go your own way. Most of the expats that I liked also got banned from thaivisa.

Z

Zablive

dave01;317062 said:
OK AUSSIE Expats........................

Passport about to expire, how do you guys renew it?
Depending where you are you can do this at the OZ Embassy in BKK, at an official Oz Consulate (not the Honorary ones) or on an Embassy outreach visit.
If you are near the end now get a new one before you leave OZ.

C

Changone

Ian Forbes;316878 said:
thaivisa was/is full of those people... men and women. I've met more than a few. But, I never worry about other people and their chosen lives. If someone is nasty then that is their problem. it's easy enough to go your own way. Most of the expats that I liked also got banned from thaivisa.

I agree with this. Yes enjoy the company of others when you want, then leave it at that. Too many stories about expats overdoing it with ladies or in bad company.
Have met quite a few great BM's from varied backgrounds thanks to these forums. Listen to them, they are the smartest guys in this particular room.

When I decide to spend more time in Thailand, I will be based in the village, but Mrs C will get bored before I do mostly, so lots of expeditions are on the cards.
No rent, no loan payments, no taxes, no stress. Some work to keep busy.
Just expect to pay for electricity, internet, phones, food, petrol and travel. and any excessive drinking...555
The idea of a "Gated community" appeals. My gate, my community. Times are a changin' even in the village.

Z

Zablive

Changone;317065 said:
I agree with this. Yes enjoy the company of others when you want, then leave it at that. Too many stories about expats overdoing it with ladies or in bad company.
Have met quite a few great BM's from varied backgrounds thanks to these forums. Listen to them, they are the smartest guys in this particular room.

When I decide to spend more time in Thailand, I will be based in the village, but Mrs C will get bored before I do mostly, so lots of expeditions are on the cards.
No rent, no loan payments, no taxes, no stress. Some work to keep busy.
Just expect to pay for electricity, internet, phones, food, petrol and travel. and any excessive drinking...555
The idea of a "Gated community" appeals. My gate, my community. Times are a changin' even in the village.

IMHO you'll never have a life of your own in the village.
Pick a place where you both want to live, with facilities, and satisfy the rellies with visits.
"Free rent" shouldn't be the decider.

C

Changone

I'm not planning to live with the rellos, and I don't intend to try to mix it with them either. Not beholden to anyone.
It's a place to stay, it's made for me, and like all the best places, a place to go away from and to come back to, and shut the f'ing door.
I feel that trying to pick any one place, with "Facilities" is too limiting. I'll pay rent for the time i'm staying there.
Time will tell I guess, and I'm nothing if not flexible.

dave01

Zablive;317063 said:
Depending where you are you can do this at the OZ Embassy in BKK, at an official Oz Consulate (not the Honorary ones) or on an Embassy outreach visit.
If you are near the end now get a new one before you leave OZ.
I got around to finding out.... The cost for a standard Passport Renewal in BKK is 277 AUD plus a surcharge of 103 AUD. That is a 34 page book. As I am in OZ, I will renew at the local post office for 277 AUD.
The Passport Office told me there is no time constraints on renewing our passports. Can be done at any time, regardless of how much validity is left or how many pages remain, which is good to know.

dave01

Ok, quick update.

The trigger has been pulled. I will finish up at work on Oct 22. I will then take leave from then until February 9 next year, when I will officially retire. From that date, my super will have to look after me. It will be reasonably healthy, and will see me out until I cark it. You have to love a defined benefits scheme.

I will be travelling to Thailand on October 30, with a laptop bag and a carry on... I have lots of clothes etc already over there. Already have a bank sorted, bike sorted, etc. Whilst I do love Patong and Phuket in general, I have decided to settle in Jomtien. I was looking at Bang Saray, but it is a little bit far out, without the services.. But it is very nice there.

So at present I am hunting around for a condo or house... for the first month, I will grab an airbnb, which will give me time to look around.

After 41 years in the same job, I am looking forward to a change in my life.... let's hope it is for the good 555

Ian Forbes

dave01;334448 said:
Ok, quick update.

The trigger has been pulled. I will finish up at work on Oct 22. I will then take leave from then until February 9 next year, when I will officially retire. From that date, my super will have to look after me. It will be reasonably healthy, and will see me out until I cark it. You have to love a defined benefits scheme.

I will be travelling to Thailand on October 30, with a laptop bag and a carry on... I have lots of clothes etc already over there. Already have a bank sorted, bike sorted, etc. Whilst I do love Patong and Phuket in general, I have decided to settle in Jomtien. I was looking at Bang Saray, but it is a little bit far out, without the services.. But it is very nice there.

So at present I am hunting around for a condo or house... for the first month, I will grab an airbnb, which will give me time to look around.

After 41 years in the same job, I am looking forward to a change in my life.... let's hope it is for the good 555
Just don't set the roots in too deep, so if you want to change your plans you can do so easily. A good friend of mine used to love the Pattaya area and he stayed there for 4 or 5 months of the year. Then he started going to Sin-nooky-ville" for a while and preferred it for the beach seen, and the women who were too hardened in the Pattaya P4P scene. But, even that got a bit boring after a while. Now he spends most of his time in Vietnam and loves it. He figures the women are far more westernized and many have their own careers. Many of the women want to pay their own way.

Moo Uaon

VT5 rent out places for a month at short notice.
VT2's would be the same.

It'd be a matter of booking a hotel the first night then rocking up to one of the VT's and seeing what they have.

Ian Forbes

Moo Uaon;334451 said:
VT5 rent out places for a month at short notice.
VT2's would be the same.

It'd be a matter of booking a hotel the first night then rocking up to one of the VT's and seeing what they have.
That is always a wise choice anywhere. I used to have a time share in Joptien that I often used to trade for a resort at a different location. Unfortunately, they never mention that their resort is off in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest town/city is 20 km away. The only real time it worked for me was when going to Phuket. On my frequent rides out to Samoeng and beyond, I often see fancy resorts. I always think to myself... "Why would anyone want to restrict themselves to some place way off in the hills, and with no means of transportation?"

Tingtong

Yep the gov defined benefits schemes were good. I retired on the SASS scene 4yrs ago and haven't even touched the principle amount, in fact its about 5% higher now and I've been paying myself about 26 k a year to live off which I do easily.
What happened to cha am, I thought you were set on that. would be a good place to live I reckon.

Stillearly

dave01;334448 said:
Ok, quick update.

best of luck to you Dave , enjoy

bacwaan

yes Dave....I too wish you the best of luck with the upcoming retirement and move out here...

If all goes wrong there is always Samui to try....555

dave01

Tingtong;334460 said:
Yep the gov defined benefits schemes were good. I retired on the SASS scene 4yrs ago and haven't even touched the principle amount, in fact its about 5% higher now and I've been paying myself about 26 k a year to live off which I do easily.
What happened to cha am, I thought you were set on that. would be a good place to live I reckon.
I am with SASS, so glad I didn't accept the buy out when Fahey offered it way back when... some blokes did and regret it.

Cha Am... yeah I like it there... great place. But a couple of mates I have known for years have retired to Jomtien, and I do like the place... plenty of services and things to do..and I figured why not.. If I want to go over Hua Hin/ Cha Am, it's only a boat ride away.

dave01

bacwaan;334467 said:
yes Dave....I too wish you the best of luck with the upcoming retirement and move out here...

If all goes wrong there is always Samui to try....555
I know I have been saying this for ages... BUT I WILL GET THERE 555

Bacon

Administrator
Congrats Dave, sounds like a well deserved retirement. I know you like staying at Jomtien when in Sin city so I take it you've done plenty of scouting. Send us pics of the new palace when you get there. Looking forward to hearing your stories from an expat point of view.

Ian Forbes;334450 said:
the women are far more westernized and many have their own careers. Many of the women want to pay their own way.
Yeah don't need to buy them much. Just a nice purse so they can carry your balls around. :D

Bacon

Administrator
Tingtong;334460 said:
I take it you own your home now? Amazing how much costs of living go down when you take that out of the equation.

MarcTwoSix

Tingtong;334460 said:
Traffic is horrendous in Hua Hin............I think it would be unbearable living there for that reason