It's that time again..............

Z

Zablive

Guest
MarcTwoSix;334486 said:
Traffic is horrendous in Hua Hin............I think it would be unbearable living there for that reason
Cha Am and Hua Hin are chalk and cheese.
So you didn't buy that land near Cha Am?
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Zablive;334487 said:
Cha Am and Hua Hin are chalk and cheese.
So you didn't buy that land near Cha Am?
It is, although traffic is starting to get pretty congested in Cha Am as well.....not as horrific as Hua Hin is, but enough to make it feel congested
I also assume as an expat, you'd be spending a decent amount of time in HH even if you lived in Cha Am

I never bought land in Cha Am............Ao bought land but it's not somewhere that would have any interest for me
 

Ian Forbes

New member
Zablive;334487 said:
Cha Am and Hua Hin are chalk and cheese.
So you didn't buy that land near Cha Am?
The problem with any "nice" area is the time span that it stays nice. Unless you are a hermit, very few people want to live way off in the boonies... no matter how pretty and serene it might be. Most people want some sort of community with stores and restaurants nearby, possibly hospital or medical aid nearby, accommodation for tourists passing through, and maybe even a little night life. If it is nice enough with a reasonable climate and something to do then the community will grow. If not well thought out and properly managed, then your "nice" little community rapidly becomes a mess with no direction. Just compare towns in Switzerland or Germany to the ones in Thailand to see what I mean.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Ian Forbes;334490 said:
The problem with any "nice" area is the time span that it stays nice. Unless you are a hermit, very few people want to live way off in the boonies... no matter how pretty and serene it might be. Most people want some sort of community with stores and restaurants nearby, possibly hospital or medical aid nearby, accommodation for tourists passing through, and maybe even a little night life. If it is nice enough with a reasonable climate and something to do then the community will grow. If not well thought out and properly managed, then your "nice" little community rapidly becomes a mess with no direction. Just compare towns in Switzerland or Germany to the ones in Thailand to see what I mean.
You can live in a great area in HH/Cha Am, the place we rent is high above HH, and plenty of local stores/restaurants but as soon as you want to go into central HH, it's a nightmare
 

Ian Forbes

New member
MarcTwoSix;334491 said:
You can live in a great area in HH/Cha Am, the place we rent is high above HH, and plenty of local stores/restaurants but as soon as you want to go into central HH, it's a nightmare
That is like my little town of Duncan in BC. I don't mind traffic too much because I ride a motorbike most of the time, but no provision was made for through traffic moving up or down island. There are a bunch of traffic lights that plug everything up. All the One way streets go in the same direction and parking is limited. It only works if there is no construction, but in the summer there is always something being torn up or being built.

In Chiang Mai over Christmas-New Years holiday time the local police have no idea how to manage traffic flow. Throw in some visiting dignitary and traffic comes to a stand still... even for motorbikes. I once had to travel 54 km just to get back to my apartment when I was only 4 km away across the inner moat section. I had to eventually work my way to the outer Ring road and back to Hang Dong just so I could approach the city from the only direction that was open.
 

Moo Uaon

Well-known member
Speaking of traffic...CM has become a lot more congested in the 18 months I was away from there.
A nightmare in a car but not much of a problem on a bike.
TG...."you ride same teenage boy" re my traffic avoidance techniques 55
 

Tingtong

Active member
Bacon;334478 said:
I take it you own your home now? Amazing how much costs of living go down when you take that out of the equation.
Yeah , I took some money out of my super and paid out the last of my mortgage. Your right I could not live of what I'm drawing from my super if I had to pay rent or mortgage. $26 k a year isn't much but I live well on that.
 

Tez

New member
Allways enjoy the reading here Keep putting up all the smaller places as options of where to live . One day I will find my own chill spot but as I ride there might need to be mountains close by . Enjoy the retirement and expat life :)
 

Ian Forbes

New member
Tingtong;334505 said:
Yeah , I took some money out of my super and paid out the last of my mortgage. Your right I could not live of what I'm drawing from my super if I had to pay rent or mortgage. $26 k a year isn't much but I live well on that.
I live quite well on just a little bit more than that and I can still give a little away. I haven't had to touch my savings and from the interest I'm able to buy myself a little "toy" each year. This year it was a drone.
 
Z

Zablive

Guest
My advice as I've got the teeshirt is that retirement (when you eventually realize it) is a very different mindset to frequent visits.
I agree that rent monthly for a while and reassess how it all works is the best plan.
No girlfriend, no business for 6 months - just sit by the pool a lot.
When you realize you're actually retired chuck away all the plans and do each day what you feel like 555!
Chok dee Davo.
 
Z

Zablive

Guest
Once you settle in Davo, with the basics covered, you need to get up to date about what long-term Visa or Extension of stay you'll get, Health insurance cover, 90 day Reports, ongoing income required after the long service pay runs out, to satisfy your lifestyle and Immigration requirements etc.

All of this is vastly different to a visiting tourist/sexpest.
Pool time is good for this.
 

dave01

New member
So................... it's been a while...

Moved over OCT 30. All things have been going pretty well as expected. Found a nice 2 bedroom 80 sqm Condo for 18K a month. Took that for a year. I like it. The people running the place, a young Thai couple, cannot do enough for us.

Life is pretty much the same as what I was doing at home.... sans work. I head out for a grog with mates maybe 2 or 3 times a week, otherwise I am pretty domesticated. I am in the process of converting the visa to a long stay visa, and then will grab a retirement extension. I need to change my licence for car driving, but no rush, I have an IDP plus my own Aussie licence. I will bite he bullet and get of MC Licence as well...

I have learned the value of a fast internet connection 555.... I don't know if any of you guys know, but, I have Sophon Cable.... which is absolute crap... thank fark I am not paying for it, so I am thinking of installing True TV. As I have 3bb net, I don't need a True TV/Net package. I just want the TV................. is that possible? on their site, it seems everything is a net/tv package...
 

Ian Forbes

New member
Good to hear from you again, Dave. I hope you get the silly crap sorted out with government and local TV and internet stuff.
Attached files
 

Tingtong

Active member
Quote "ongoing income required after the long service pay runs out, to satisfy your lifestyle and Immigration requirements etc. "


I think Dave is one of the Lucky one's who were on the 'Old Scheme' Aust Gov Super Scheme's that never Run out until you Die. I missed out on that one Buy a year or so.

The Object is to live as long as you can to get as much money out of the Gov as possible . Good Incentive . 55
 

PeteGill

Well-known member
Zablive;348932 said:
I hope it's not Jomtien?
Very difficult there from all reports.
As in?

I chat with Van Guy from time to time and he seems to enjoy living there..
far enough away from the distractions, but close enough to make the odd trip in.

I have only ever been in Jomtien a couple of times, so don't really know much about the place or what it is like.. A few Russians about, but they do not worry me much.
 
Z

Zablive

Guest
PeteGill;348948 said:
As in?

I chat with Van Guy from time to time and he seems to enjoy living there..
far enough away from the distractions, but close enough to make the odd trip in.

I have only ever been in Jomtien a couple of times, so don't really know much about the place or what it is like.. A few Russians about, but they do not worry me much.
As in the female IO who handles conversions to Non-O temporary visas is a real b*tch who continually invents new rules, regulations, requirements until you get so frustrated that you take her offer of "a quick way" for 18,000 baht.
Or as many do go to Penang or Vientiane, get a non-O single entry visa for the basis of retirement (as recommended by the MFA) and by pass the b*tch completely for a one day smooth process to a Retirement extension.
(reference - Thai Visa forum)!
 
Top