Just arrived

Rockitt

I’m in Chiang Rai for a few days. I’ve walked to around the clock tower and checked out the bar area.
Any suggestions of things to see and do?
I can use a small motorcycle from the hotel owner if I want so I can get around. White , black and blue temples are on the list but I like the riverside type of places to chill at during the day.
Any ideas will be appreciated.

Bacon

Administrator
First thing is first.

Find a bar and relax. You need a base of operations to work out your next move. From there you branch out :D

Rockitt

I went to the White temple this morning. Quite impressive and I got there before the crowds.

Rockitt

Check out Chiang Rai Beach.
Eats and drinks by the riverside.
I went there this afternoon. A nice spot to relax and I was surprised at the size of the place. Hardly anyone there though so times must still be hard for them even with tourists returning.

Rockitt

I took out the hotel bike yesterday. My first time on a motorcycle so I was a bit nervous at the start. I should have done it years ago.
I enjoyed the freedom of going places quickly and the cool wind on the open roads. Once out of town there was-hardly any traffic.
I went to the Blue temple, Buddha cave and cave beach. I got lost on the way back and ended up on a military road, where I was told to turn around and go back 555.
The clouds were gathering after lunch so I handed the bike back before a massive downpour. 582E40BB-216E-4530-8D2D-F11A013F2FA0.jpegA72ECED0-C141-4812-8A4A-F388A73E9F36.jpegC0670861-BA52-4103-8A1E-BC3FB6CAFEA3.jpeg81F0CDDB-4C5E-407B-A812-5FE71C2EFC91.jpeg

Rockitt

So I’m back in Bkk now and enjoyed my few days in Chiang Rai. Not sure I would rush back though.
It’s not got the magic of Chiang Mai in my opinion but it’s certainly worth a look for a couple of days. It’s obviously been damaged by Covid and it will take a while before the tourists return in large numbers.
My plane to Bkk was almost full but I only counted 4or 5 westerners on board. A good indication of how things are at present.

MarcTwoSix

So I’m back in Bkk now and enjoyed my few days in Chiang Rai. Not sure I would rush back though.
It’s not got the magic of Chiang Mai in my opinion but it’s certainly worth a look for a couple of days. It’s obviously been damaged by Covid and it will take a while before the tourists return in large numbers.
My plane to Bkk was almost full but I only counted 4or 5 westerners on board. A good indication of how things are at present.

I've only been to CR once and found it very drab

We didn't venture outside town much though

Riding the MB is a huge part of my holiday

Bacon

Administrator
Oooh chicken rice! nom nom nom

Riding a scooter around SEA is one of the great pleasures. Love it.

Moo Uaon

CR is a good base for bike riding around the north.So many good roads and places to see. Doi Mae Salong and the Chinese village there,Thaton and the river boat back to CR,the Golden Triangle, Hall of Opium Phu Chi Fa,Doi Ang Kang etc
In years gone past it had a great nightlife scene,the night market was fantastic there too with lots of food and live music every night.

My first time there around 07 there was a couple of bars i found right next to the market and had some uni students working there. I took one a couple of nights and she was great. I went to her bar another night and she apoligised and told me she had a special customer coming and couldn't go with me.....
me......oh ok.....she then pointed to another girl there and told me.....my friend can go with you......i looked and my eyes nearly popped outta my head.....fk she was hot with a larger than normal set of noms....great performer back in the loom too.....ahh the memories 55

I loved CR after that trip but in later years the nightlife scene fell off a bit and wasn't as much fun but in later years picked up again (y)

ps; i went back to that bar a year or 2 after that trip and they had pics on the wall of some of their girls getting married to their VIP customers......yep the hottie and friend were among them 55

Last edited:

Rockitt

Oooh chicken rice! nom nom nom

Riding a scooter around SEA is one of the great pleasures. Love it.
Hiring my first ride on a bike was an ice breaker for me. I’ve never had the confidence to do it before, but I really enjoyed it and found it quite easy.
I am not about to go hiring in Bkk and go blasting down Sukhumvit yet, and I will hold off ordering a new Harley when I get home555.
Baby steps I think.

Bacon

Administrator
Hiring my first ride on a bike was an ice breaker for me. I’ve never had the confidence to do it before, but I really enjoyed it and found it quite easy.
I am not about to go hiring in Bkk and go blasting down Sukhumvit yet, and I will hold off ordering a new Harley when I get home555.
Baby steps I think.
It's way more intimidating in Asia. I zip down the freeway on my Kawasaki at home, but I'm still not 100% confident on a scooter in Thailand 55.