Koh Samui

bacwaan

was out for a scootpootle today with Chobby and his mate Ray from Phuket...so no swimming my usual "distance"....

Instead we had a dip over at mae nam and then a hearty meal at "The Duck Inn and Pig Out"..been a year or so since I was last there iirc..bloody delicious and superfilling as always...

Dupree

was out for a scootpootle today with Chobby and his mate Ray from Phuket...so no swimming my usual "distance"....

Instead we had a dip over at mae nam and then a hearty meal at "The Duck Inn and Pig Out"..been a year or so since I was last there iirc..bloody delicious and superfilling as always...
How is dog shit alley going?

bacwaan

Samui was reclassified as a"Yellow Zone" yesterday which will see things loosen up a bit..albeit gradually

Main thing is that restaurants will be able to serve booze again however bars will remain closed...a few other things like gyms, cinemas etc will also be able to open soon so at least we are moving back in the right direction again here...

lots of restaurants have been selling in "cups" of course but that is a PITA..will be nice to go out and enjoy a meal again with a nice glass of wine..out in the open...

another plus I forgot to mention above...BKK Airways are opening up flights from Samui-Phuket again as of mid June so hopefully I can visit there again soon without a covid test if HKT moves to a "Yellow Zone" as well...

edit: I had written "Green Zone" but it is actually Yellow..the lowest on the scale of covid retrictions..Phuket has also been downgraded to Yellow as well now..great news..for now

Last edited:

Nomad

another plus I forgot to mention above...BKK Airways are opening up flights from Samui-Phuket again as of mid June so hopefully I can visit there again soon without a covid test if HKT moves to a "Green Zone" as well...
Don't forget your bucket and spade for the sandbox!

bacwaan

^ well we are entering our wet season right now...anytime from mid october thru to mid January

atm we are getting a couple of showers a day with mostly mixed sunshine/overcast inbetween...fishing boast have been in th last couple of nights...as Bacon said there has been a bit of choppy wind driven swell about...

Crystal Bay/Silver Beach is pretty protected..never seen real waves form down there..but I had a bit of a boody surf down at Chaweng Noi Southend yesterday

MarcTwoSix

^ well we are entering our wet season right now...anytime from mid october thru to mid January

atm we are getting a couple of showers a day with mostly mixed sunshine/overcast inbetween...fishing boast have been in th last couple of nights...as Bacon said there has been a bit of choppy wind driven swell about...

Crystal Bay/Silver Beach is pretty protected..never seen real waves form down there..but I had a bit of a boody surf down at Chaweng Noi Southend yesterday
What's the scene around there Nels?

Can you get a beer anywhere, sneaky or legit?

Any uptick of tourists?

And I know you have a lot of local friends that are copping it so you feel for them

But in a way, it has to be kind of nice also??

bacwaan

Funny....those 2 farang kids in this ep are friends of mine...they are part of the lovely Czech Family that bakes my rye sourdough bread and does other great baked specialties...Maru (Marijia) the girl is around 20yo and has her own band and Ondra (Andrew) is the main baker, plus a great football player..he just got his MB Licence and is around 16yo

Coral Cove has been closed a few times this year....the family has been very wary of covid and the safety of the old matriarch (great great grandma) who still lives there..she must be well into her 80s now so I guess rightly so..especially seeing there have been very few punters there all HS ..plus there is some serious roadworks going in outside as well..so the lack of business hasn't really warranted them being open...I know the family down there well and just walk around the closed gate..always wear my mask. keep my distance and wave hello as I move down the beach well away from their home/biz when they are closed...they always give me a wave back..no probs...

Nalinnadda gets a slot as well..just across the road and down a couple of hundred metres from where I live now...their food is excellent but its not your el cheapo family shophouse..its refined and the ingredients used are first class..so you get what you pay for...a longtime fave of Paulie's...

speaking of Paulie...and in answer to your Qs...you can get a beer in Nalinadda and most other restaurants legally nowdays...the restauarants have to apply for a licence and show that they arre complying with covid distancing and safety rules but its not that hard to get...some of the bars have put in makeshift kitchens and have been awarded one..there is talk of bars opening again on NOV 1st when the new Thailand Pass Tourist Visa System comes into play..I see that Bangla and Phuket is ahead of us in bar openings...plenty of partying images coming thru from over there on my FB feed..

There are a few more new faces around the island..and once again I am seeing MB accidents most days on the road...a few more tourists on the beaches and walking along the beach road too but its still off a very quiet base...Chaweng still as dead as a doornail but a bit of life in old Lamai..mostly expat driven

My moo baan has quire a few new arrivals (I'd say about half the villas are taken now..so 12.. as opposed to 4 during the middle of the year)..this includes 2 french lads next door who seem to be bringing home BGs well past the 11pm closing time...so there must be some partying going on out there somewhere...most probably Speed Bar/Restaurant which has a band most nights..a few scattered bars on middle road and DS Alley of course....I haven't had proper drinking night out in months..can't be arsed until there is a decent reason

Last edited:

MarcTwoSix

Funny....those 2 farang kids in this ep are friends of mine...they are part of the lovely Czech Family that bakes my rye sourdough bread and does other great baked specialties...Maru (Marijia) the girl is around 20yo and has her own band and Ondra (Andrew) is the main baker, plus a great football player..he just got his MB Licence and is around 16yo

Coral Cove has been closed a few times this year....the family has been very wary of covid and the safety of the old matriarch (great great grandma) who still lives there..she must be well into her 80s now so I guess rightly so..especially seeing there have been very few punters there all HS ..plus there is some serious roadworks going in outside as well..so the lack of business hasn't really warranted them being open...I know the family down there well and just walk around the closed gate..always wear my mask. keep my distance and wave hello as I move down the beach well away from their home/biz when they are closed...they always give me a wave back..no probs...

Nalinnadda gets a slot as well..just across the road and down a couple of hundred metres from where I live now...their food is excellent but its not your el cheapo family shophouse..its refined and the ingredients used are first class..so you get what you pay for...a longtime fave of Paulie's...

speaking of Paulie...and in answer to your Qs...you can get a beer in Nalinadda and most other restaurants legally nowdays...the restauarants have to apply for a licence and show that they arre complying with covid distancing and safety rules but its not that hard to get...some of the bars have put in makeshift kitchens and have been awarded one..there is talk of bars opening again on NOV 1st when the new Thailand Pass Tourist Visa System comes into play..I see that Bangla and Phuket is ahead of us in bar openings...plenty of partying images coming thru from over there on my FB feed..

There are a few more new faces around the island..and once again I am seeing MB accidents most days on the road...a few more tourists on the beaches and walking along the beach road too but its still off a very quiet base...Chaweng still as dead as a doornail but a bit of life in old Lamai..mostly expat driven

My moo baan has quire a few new arrivals (I'd say about half the villas are taken now..so 12.. as opposed to 4 during the middle of the year)..this includes 2 french lads next door who seem to be bringing home BGs well past the 11pm closing time...so there must be some partying going on out there somewhere...most probably Speed Bar/Restaurant which has a band most nights..a few scattered bars on middle road and DS Alley of course....I haven't had proper drinking night out in months..can't be arsed until there is a decent reason
Fcuk you make me miss Nalinadda and that whole area!
And they redid the rooms at Nalinadda as well!

Ao and I are pushing for 2 months in April/May

May head down for 4 or 5 days just to stay there
What a gem that place is

And if there breakfast is out of this world good!
So I can imagine their other food is as well

I don't get jealous much about guys living in Thailand

But I can say I am a wee bit jealous of you living down "my way" now 5555

I adore that little area

bacwaan

^ Yep....that place is next to Vikasa which is about 100m closer to Chaweng on the opposite (sea) side to The Big Rock Corner..so less than a few hundred metres from Coral Cove...
There are a lot of roadworks right there atm and some of it involves serious excavation and groundfill... which may well have contributed to this nasty slip

Been solid rain here for the past 4-5 days..a dramatic kick off for wet season with all sorts of weird weather systems out in the gulf off Japan/Philippines etc...I have hardly been out of the house since it started, its been so heavy...Chob was over for a week but cut it a day or so short on Wednesday...a good decision