Kuhio Goes Back In Time

Ian Forbes

New member
I know of two similar cases, JC, so that is why I always like to know the details. I had a friend of mine get charged with rape when the parents of the 17 year old girl came home unexpectedly and caught them having sex on the sofa. My friend was 18 at the time. The two had been having consentual sex for at least 3 months before her parents caught them. The girl paniced and cried rape and the charges stuck. He didn't do jail time but he had a record and could not get many jobs because of it.
 

kuhio

Member
Well, so much for the updating promise. It has just been full on, and I have no energy. For example, yesterday started with a 5:50 am wake up to head over to the Chob compound to pick up Alice, Camilla, and Mathilda (the neighbor girls) to catch a minibus back at the Regent we had set up for 10 of us to go out for a half day speed boat tour to Khai Nok Island, and ended at 1:45am after (at least) 10 Sangsom Cokes at Popeye's across from the Beergarden in Kamala.

This is going to have to be one of those where I document after the fact. Gives me something to do on the plane for sure.

Sitting in the room at present getting ready to head out again for NYE down by the beach. My wife may actually join me this time and everything!!! Would be a first for this trip.
 

Ian Forbes

New member
That is how good holidays are supposed to go, kuhio.... no time left over to even relax.

This trip of mine has been rather boring by comparison to previous years. I've been trying to finish a book, but computer problems and poor internet at my hotel has been making it difficult. I have to log onto here and Facebook just for some comic relief.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
kuhio;391945 said:
So got into BKK about just after midnight last night. About a 23 hour journey from Chicago.

Benjamin was like a dream at 4 years old compared to the last trip we did out here when he was 1. Both the kids slept a lot on the flights and mostly minded their own business when they were awake. Glad we seem to have passed the difficult travel stage. Gotta give it up to them.

We ended up trying China Eastern Airlines for a couple of reasons. First, they were the cheapest, and that counts for a bunch coming at this time of year. Second, the flight transits in Shanghai. This is important because in Shanghai, you can enter China without a visa as long as you are transiting within 48 hours. Even for Thais. So for the return leg, we were able to book a 20 hour layover in Shanghai where we will go into the city and stay at a hotel get some dinner take a walk down to the Bund etc. This splits up the return trip nicely and allow me to take the Fam to Shanghai, a city I know well.

Overall, can't complain about China Eastern. Good entertainment system on the 14 hour leg from Chicago to Shanghai. We always fly in the cheapo seats so my standard is that we get there on time with all of our luggage. They succeeded in delivering that. Would use again....
Man I am trying to get to South East Asia from Tampa FL
What a pain in the ass
Even getting a direct flight from Tampa to any big airport in North America to fly out of there is so hard to find

Looking at about 32hrs all in with some waits

I am so spoiled always living within 30mins from major airports

Even tried to fly out of ORD
 

anmeno

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;393912 said:
Man I am trying to get to South East Asia from Tampa FL
What a pain in the ass
Even getting a direct flight from Tampa to any big airport in North America to fly out of there is so hard to find

Looking at about 32hrs all in with some waits

I am so spoiled always living within 30mins from major airports

Even tried to fly out of ORD
Norwegian is flying from Orlando. I see that they use 21 hours and 50 minutes included a stop in Stockholm, but they only fly on Friday and Monday.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
anmeno;393917 said:
Norwegian is flying from Orlando. I see that they use 21 hours and 50 minutes included a stop in Stockholm, but they only fly on Friday and Monday.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
The reviews are horrible for them
I was going to book Ao on them to get to NYC for Xmas
But they cancel flights a lot and didn't want to have her stranded in her Europe layover

Thanks for the suggestion though

It's also complicated because it's a multi-city because returning to Vancouver

The flight itself isn't bad
It just flights from Tampa suck so only option is get to Toronto 8 hours before my flight to Phnom Penh

But I have friends in Toronto so will go to dinner
But it still means 34hrs all in
 

kuhio

Member
Literally just landed in Shanghai, still taxiing. Will see how the long visa free layover goes. Plan to be shivering at the Bund.


Will report on this and much more later. Have the 12 hour leg to Chicago tomorrow to start typing.
 

kuhio

Member
Well, best laid plans and all that....

I always forget just how bad re-entry could be. Something I had disregarded but turns out to be sort of a big deal is the additional 3 hours time difference we have being on east coast time rather than Pacific. It seems like nothing since there is already a 9 hour time difference between California and Thailand. However, in retrospect now, and having done a few Asia trips from Michigan, I find it makes a pretty big difference. In Thailand, it meant being exhausted at 9pm instead of 12am. That one sort of stuck with us throughout the trip, I was able to beat it some nights (IFAWAS comes to mind) but I never really fully escaped it. Probably didn't help that we were awakened every morning at 6am by grandma waking up with the sun to have a 30 minute coughing fit in our somewhat close quartered, shared, 3 bed condo. Never again!!

So that for sure ended up impacting the vibe of the whole trip, but the real fun comes as I mentioned on re-entry. Its always much harder to adjust flying east than west. Even when we were in California it always took me more than a week to start to feel normal again. Now that we are in east coast time, its a full 12 hour time difference to Thailand. After arriving in Chicago at about noon, we headed over to the airport Hyatt where our car was parked. I had hoped to sleep for about 4 hours or so and then do the 4.5 hour drive back to Michigan so that Tawan could get some sleep that night and go to school the next day. Ended up sleeping more like 8 hours and driving through the night so we could get home at 3am. Tawan then did some homework and caught her bus to school at 8am in the -7C weather. For a full day of school until 4:30 that afternoon. Kids are resilient. No complaints, happy to be back at school with her friends.

Myself, not so much, I have some complaints, but I wont bore you. A full week later and I am starting to feel normal again.

So with a big delay, I will try to pick up where I left off. Its about to be the weekend and we are expecting a good size snow storm all day Saturday, followed by -20C on Sunday with a 40kph wind. Good writing weather. Until then, off to get some gas for the snow blower.
 

kuhio

Member
Well, the weather held up as it was supposed to, however, Nok wanted me to edit the video footage I took at her school event which took all my time. She wanted to share it with all the people who donated but couldn't attend. So I'll share it here too, it was a fantastic day out. Really enjoyed watching the kids overcome the language gap and use the universal language of the school yard to connect. Continued trip report to follow...

[video=youtube;0WL2JLhyjaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WL2JLhyjaE&t=[/video]​
 

justcruzing1

Active member
^^^Thanks for sharing that, thoroughly enjoyed it.

You did a good job of editing it,, Nok must feel very proud of what she did.

Loved all the kids happy faces and attention to your two kids, they must have felt a bit like rock stars 555555
 

Dupree

Well-known member
kuhio;395141 said:
Well, the weather held up as it was supposed to, however, Nok wanted me to edit the video footage I took at her school event which took all my time. She wanted to share it with all the people who donated but couldn't attend. So I'll share it here too, it was a fantastic day out. Really enjoyed watching the kids overcome the language gap and use the universal language of the school yard to connect. Continued trip report to follow...

[video=youtube;0WL2JLhyjaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WL2JLhyjaE&t=[/video]​
I'm curious. Do you think your moody daughter gained any new perspective on her mother?
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
kuhio;394872 said:
Well, best laid plans and all that....

I always forget just how bad re-entry could be. Something I had disregarded but turns out to be sort of a big deal is the additional 3 hours time difference we have being on east coast time rather than Pacific. It seems like nothing since there is already a 9 hour time difference between California and Thailand. However, in retrospect now, and having done a few Asia trips from Michigan, I find it makes a pretty big difference. In Thailand, it meant being exhausted at 9pm instead of 12am. That one sort of stuck with us throughout the trip, I was able to beat it some nights (IFAWAS comes to mind) but I never really fully escaped it. Probably didn't help that we were awakened every morning at 6am by grandma waking up with the sun to have a 30 minute coughing fit in our somewhat close quartered, shared, 3 bed condo. Never again!!

So that for sure ended up impacting the vibe of the whole trip, but the real fun comes as I mentioned on re-entry. Its always much harder to adjust flying east than west. Even when we were in California it always took me more than a week to start to feel normal again. Now that we are in east coast time, its a full 12 hour time difference to Thailand. After arriving in Chicago at about noon, we headed over to the airport Hyatt where our car was parked. I had hoped to sleep for about 4 hours or so and then do the 4.5 hour drive back to Michigan so that Tawan could get some sleep that night and go to school the next day. Ended up sleeping more like 8 hours and driving through the night so we could get home at 3am. Tawan then did some homework and caught her bus to school at 8am in the -7C weather. For a full day of school until 4:30 that afternoon. Kids are resilient. No complaints, happy to be back at school with her friends.

Myself, not so much, I have some complaints, but I wont bore you. A full week later and I am starting to feel normal again.

So with a big delay, I will try to pick up where I left off. Its about to be the weekend and we are expecting a good size snow storm all day Saturday, followed by -20C on Sunday with a 40kph wind. Good writing weather. Until then, off to get some gas for the snow blower.
My very 1st trip to Thailand I flew home on a Thursday or Friday because I was afraid of jet lag so wanted to be rested for work on Monday
It never really came

And really doesn't come now either

My body definitely feels a bit more beat up because of my bad neck and also because I'm not in good shape

But I guess I am lucky that I've never really had bad jet lag

But we will see what happens when I fly 31hrs door to door in 3 weeks
 

Quarky

Administrator
kuhio;395141 said:
Well, the weather held up as it was supposed to, however, Nok wanted me to edit the video footage I took at her school event which took all my time. She wanted to share it with all the people who donated but couldn't attend. So I'll share it here too, it was a fantastic day out. Really enjoyed watching the kids overcome the language gap and use the universal language of the school yard to connect. Continued trip report to follow...

[video=youtube;0WL2JLhyjaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WL2JLhyjaE&t=[/video]​
You should be making movies Brian. Like Sydney you both have a talent.
 

Notorius

New member
MarcTwoSix;395154 said:
My very 1st trip to Thailand I flew home on a Thursday or Friday because I was afraid of jet lag so wanted to be rested for work on Monday
It never really came

And really doesn't come now either

My body definitely feels a bit more beat up because of my bad neck and also because I'm not in good shape

But I guess I am lucky that I've never really had bad jet lag

But we will see what happens when I fly 31hrs door to door in 3 weeks
Worst ever return trip from Los was through CDG in Paris. I thought there would be a transfer desk and my bags would go straight through to Dublin. But oh no the French has to be different. Had to collect bags exit and go through security. No free WiFi and could buy it anyway. Absolutely despise that airport.
 

kuhio

Member
Dupree;395144 said:
I'm curious. Do you think your moody daughter gained any new perspective on her mother?
In terms of seeing how her mother grew up vs everyday life in the states? If so, I don't think so. Rural Thailand seems more like a fun place with farm animals everywhere and good food, and you can ride around in the back of a pickup!!

I think both the kids probably liked the countryside more than the beach in Phuket.

As far as Thailand in general, I think it does give her a new perspective that not everyplace is like suburban America. These trips for sure opened up her palate. She used to be picky but now is basically willing to try anything.

Funny story, after going out to Khai Nok Island on a speedboat with all the girls from Dean's soi, the 4 girls got their own table at a Mam's restaurant on Soi Oh La La. Its a Thai/Farang place, standard fare. Tawan ended up ordering Shepard's Pie, not knowing what it even was because she liked the name. Finished every bit.
 

kuhio

Member
MarcTwoSix;395154 said:
My very 1st trip to Thailand I flew home on a Thursday or Friday because I was afraid of jet lag so wanted to be rested for work on Monday
It never really came

And really doesn't come now either

My body definitely feels a bit more beat up because of my bad neck and also because I'm not in good shape

But I guess I am lucky that I've never really had bad jet lag

But we will see what happens when I fly 31hrs door to door in 3 weeks
I envy you. Asia knocks me out for a good week and a half. I end up waking each day at 3am and barely keeping my eyes open by 5pm. Do you sleep on planes? I can't at all.
 

Notorius

New member
kuhio;395453 said:
I envy you. Asia knocks me out for a good week and a half. I end up waking each day at 3am and barely keeping my eyes open by 5pm. Do you sleep on planes? I can't at all.
I don’t know what it is but any form of transport is like NyQuil to me. I literally fall asleep before takeoff and only wake up at landing. Same on busses, trains and when I’m a passenger in a car. Can’t go asleep in my own bed or house but anything with wheels is lights out.

NyQuil I love you, you giant fcucking Q.

https://youtu.be/-XsgVufugTg
 

Notorius

New member
justcruzing1;395461 said:
^^^^^ Notorius, you need to hire a chauffeur to drive you around at night......out like a light :)
Now that is a good idea. If the chauffeur was a 25 model with a well fitting tight suit I’d never need to go home again. Was going to a client about a month ago. Someone else was driving and my P.A sat in the front passenger seat. Literally within 2 minutes of getting in I was out. Embarrassingly when I woke up they made a few jokes about me snoring.
 

justcruzing1

Active member
^^^^ It's crazy but I can drive for 10-12 hrs and be OK but if I am a passenger after about 30 mins I am nodding off and have to fight to stay awake.

pay a cab to drive you till you drop off then bring you back home and wake you, you will still be drowsy so should get back to sleep in your bed.
 
Top