Live at hotel for a year

Quarky

Administrator
A long stay hotel would be a great place for me at the moment. Having recently sold my house I am now living temporarily with my daughter, son in law, two young kids and two crazy dogs. The Covid situation is adding to the mayhem and finding a new place to stay at this time is difficult.
Covid has really thrown a spanner into the works and my plan of travelling around is on hold for now, at-least until things improve and travel restrictions are eased.
You did well to sell your house in Covid times...

OZZYGUY

Real estate has been going bonkers in US/Canada during covid
And Australia.

We have vacant land next to us both sides, and a few blocks both side of them. A few sold signs have gone up the last few weeks.... time for me to move loved not having anyone next to me...55

Tingtong

Normally Im sick to death of a Hotel Room after a week ...Maybe Two if its good . But the only time ive felt I could live in one for a year was was At Hamilton Island a couple or years ago .
We had 5 nights in a Self contained Appt (Whitsunday Apartments ) on Hamilton Island Not long after the last Bad Cyclone they had . It had just been Repaired and to get people to come back they had some really god deals , Direct Flights and Accom .
The Rooms were quite big , Separate Bed Room and Full size kitchen ....But the best part was the View over the Islands . I would set up a Chair looking out over the View with a beer and sit for hours just staring out ever the balcony .
I remember saying over and over , Man I could defiantly Live here !
To which my GF would reply 'Yes Dear ...Yes Dear ' 5555IMG_20190404_100316 (2).jpg

Quarky

Administrator
Normally Im sick to death of a Hotel Room after a week ...Maybe Two if its good . But the only time ive felt I could live in one for a year was was At Hamilton Island a couple or years ago .
We had 5 nights in a Self contained Appt (Whitsunday Apartments ) on Hamilton Island Not long after the last Bad Cyclone they had . It had just been Repaired and to get people to come back they had some really god deals , Direct Flights and Accom .
The Rooms were quite big , Separate Bed Room and Full size kitchen ....But the best part was the View over the Islands . I would set up a Chair looking out over the View with a beer and sit for hours just staring out ever the balcony .
I remember saying over and over , Man I could defiantly Live here !
To which my GF would reply 'Yes Dear ...Yes Dear ' 5555View attachment 1327
Is there a good nightlife there too? looks stunning...

Tingtong

I had that same thought when I went, even popped my head in the local real estate shop.

Loved scooting around in the golf cart too
I do Real Estate thing every time I go somewhere and like it 555 . Apartments where we stayed to my surprise were Selling for about $ 600 k , Cheap I thought so you could by one and live in it .... But Id imagine the Body Corp fee;s would be very high but I could find info on that .
The Golf carts are a great idea ... Very quiet .
Id still like to go live there but even in Paradise there would be drawbacks .

Nomad

Real estate has been going bonkers in US/Canada during covid
Market turned very quickly this month here in Victoria. It was essentially closed since March/April as for many months there were either no inspections (not a permitted reason to leave your home) or appointment only inspections. I have been monitoring the market for a beach house since the start of Covid, but when you can't leave the apartment, and then only within a 5km radius, it is all academic. Houses were taking many months to sell and often being taken off the market after months of not selling. There is a massive pent up demand, fixed interest rates are now at 2% and those with jobs (most people) have plenty of cash. The banks also have free funding (0.10% interest) from the Reserve Bank until June so are keen to lend. There is also very limited stock, with listings at half usual levels where I was looking. Now, beach suburbs an hour or two from the city are selling straight after listing. We had interest in 3 - first sold in 5 days at the first open-house, 2nd sold in 7 days @ 12% above the published range, and last one sold in 10 days with 10 bidders and 4 above the range. One happy TG to have a plot of land for her vegetables!

MarcTwoSix

Market turned very quickly this month here in Victoria. It was essentially closed since March/April as for many months there were either no inspections (not a permitted reason to leave your home) or appointment only inspections. I have been monitoring the market for a beach house since the start of Covid, but when you can't leave the apartment, and then only within a 5km radius, it is all academic. Houses were taking many months to sell and often being taken off the market after months of not selling. There is a massive pent up demand, fixed interest rates are now at 2% and those with jobs (most people) have plenty of cash. The banks also have free funding (0.10% interest) from the Reserve Bank until June so are keen to lend. There is also very limited stock, with listings at half usual levels where I was looking. Now, beach suburbs an hour or two from the city are selling straight after listing. We had interest in 3 - first sold in 5 days at the first open-house, 2nd sold in 7 days @ 12% above the published range, and last one sold in 10 days with 10 bidders and 4 above the range. One happy TG to have a plot of land for her vegetables!
So you bought the 3rd ones???
Congrats

Nomad

Yeah. A very expensive vegetable plot! Luckily ranges were being set at the end of lockdown with agents having low expectations...at least that is what I am telling myself.

MarcTwoSix

Yeah. A very expensive vegetable plot! Luckily ranges were being set at the end of lockdown with agents having low expectations...at least that is what I am telling myself.

Awesome
Post pics when you are settled in

Ao would die for a vegetable plot here!
Although she'd have to share with Quincy 😀

OZZYGUY

Commercial property's with a good lease is also selling fast.

The ex and I had a property with a large gym in it. (not my gym) Listed in mid Nov with EOI and no price. Sold in 2 days and more than we wanted, cash offer settlement 21 days. Great Christmas cash..

Although it was cashflow positive and the ex and I get on well was great to get rid of the last thing we owned together after 8 years.

Now to buy that mountain shack with sea views overseas....555

kaptainrob

Administrator
I do Real Estate thing every time I go somewhere and like it 555 . Apartments where we stayed to my surprise were Selling for about $ 600 k , Cheap I thought so you could by one and live in it .... But Id imagine the Body Corp fee;s would be very high but I could find info on that .
The Golf carts are a great idea ... Very quiet .
Id still like to go live there but even in Paradise there would be drawbacks .
Very expensive to live on Hamilton Island, better off with a 45 to 50' yacht or diesel cruiser for about half the investment. Similar maintenance costs too. Biggest drawback to living in the Whitsundays is the high summer temps and potential cyclones. I used to winter up there and return south to GC for summer. Fishing is crap and unless you play golf or have a boat you could soon become bored.

Hammo apartments are sold and operated under a special management arrangement which show a 3% nett return if fully leased [11 months pooled income] in good times. Those apartments you stayed in overlooking Catseye beach are very nice, also cheaper now at ~ 500k for one of the best.

Tingtong

Yeah KR thats what I was Saying regarding drawbacks . No such thing as paradise with as you said the Summer Temps and Cyclones ...No thanks, been in a Cyclone and never again .
We Self catered on Hamo and shopped at the Bi Low super market which was ok and prices wernt too excessive . Even Beer pirces were ok at about iirc $65 ish for a Carton of xxxx Gold .
Boredom could be a worry for sure . Even Ocean Swimming is a Worry with the Stingers . I think it was a more a Romantic Notion ..... But spending the Winter months there would be nice .

Rockitt

You did well to sell your house in Covid times...
It took double the amount of time to go through with the sale. Nearly 3 months. At one stage I didn’t think it would happen but we got there in the end. Five days before Christmas.
Being without a property is a strange feeling. Good and bad. Living at my daughters is not ideal but I can help them financially while I’m here.
But that hotel deal would be nice, even just a few months at the moment. Once this current lockdown ends then I can try to get sorted some way or another.