Malaysia Travel: Some short trips from Kuala Lumpur

Hatari

Malacca: Flor de la Mar ship replica

We're back there in three weeks, I'll measure it for you!

"Take us to Flor de la Ma, now"

Hatari

Sepang a day at the races

The reason for my first trip to KL, 2009, was to go to MotoGP at Sepang, about an hour from KL, ideal time-wise for me to get new visa at same time, and have worked around same dates several times in following years, MotoGP Sepang each October

Each year the transport options have varied, I've tried bus, train/bus, taxi. The bus option from KLSentral has been best imo. The train/bus combo was a disaster, and over 3hrs to get back

Apart from the motorbike racing, plenty of entertainment and displays, thought food and prices was reasonable too

Hatari

KL - Brickfields - Little India

In KL, five minutes walk from KLSentral station, Little India, Brickfields. Little India from Jalan Travers to Jalan Tun Sambathan; there’s a 35-foot fountain at the junction, an information kiosk at Jalan Thamby Abdullah and a three-storey Indian bazaar at the end of Jalan Tun Sambanthan. The brick-paved Jalan Tun Sambanthan is lined with white street lamps and creamy-yellow arches with purple embellishments to match the purple buildings along the street.

Hatari

Like staying here for two reasons - a few minutes walk to KLSentral and monorail, and the restaurants, such a variety of Indian food, MsH has become a fan - no there is no Thai food here

Hatari

It's a lively area at night, walk past shops pumping out that deep bass Bollywood music. We're back there next month, base camp for part if Malaysian holiday

MarcTwoSix

As usual thanks for the TR

I didn't really care for Little India in KL
Just seemed to much of mish mash altogether

Actually I wasn't a fan of KL at all.
I was excited about the fact it had so many cultures and breakfast at the Shangri-La was just cool seeing all the different types of people

But I felt all the different cultures actually hurts the identity of the city

Hatari

KL: The Mines - Shopping Centre

Train from KL Sentral 1.70r and about 15 minutes to Serdang Station, walk across the overbridge and pay 2r (20 baht) for a boat to take you on a short trip across lake, canal, through the tunnel and into the centre of the Capital Malls ’The Mines’ Shopping Centre.

Dated, seemed run-down to me, had the makings of a future ghost mall, a novelty concept that didn't pay off.

In 1988 a man with a vision, Tan Sri Lee Kim Yew built Mines Resort City (MRC), with the seven wonders of Malaysia you see today linked by boat cruise for all people to enjoy the beauty of water on the lake with luxury retailing.
There are two main lakes in the Mines Resort City and this posed a slight problem to the engineers linking the whole lake together through the water transport system. Both lakes were at different height levels. To be precise: 7 meters. Thus was developed the unique water lock. The North lake is 7 meters lower than the South Lake.
The water taxis are departing in the middle of the shopping centre. A ticket for the cruise can be bought at the counter. You pass the Mines Wonderland, the Golf Course, the Palace of the Golden Horses (hotel).
Both lakes are connected via a 1054 meter canal. The entire system took 1½ years to build at a cost of RM15 million.
It takes 7 minutes to discharge or refill water and the volume of water in the lock is 61600 gallons.

MarcTwoSix

Actually the only thing I liked about KL was my wife stayed at Traders Hotel right across from Petronas Towers and they have a restaurant bar on the top floor. A bit trendy with a pool in the middle.
The view of the Towers towering over the restaurant is amazing
That night they had traditional Indian drummers mixing with the hip hop DJ.....it was incredible performance.

Hatari

Malacca
Today, walking the river to where it meets the sea. Indomal ferries near the river mouth. They sail from Malacca, Malaysia, across the Strait to Dumai, Indonesia

Malacca River to Straits of Malacca

Chob

Christ Church in 1910 ... Mallacca and Phuket share some common history .... Of course the Portugese were there at a lot earlier .