Manila, Cambodia Laos & Thailand

Stillearly

peteman;332319 said:
I ended up at the Beach Club this afternoon for an hour or so just to suss it out. Cool sharks above the bar but the place was literally crawling in German cockroaches. They were crawling all over the bar, in and out of the eftpos machine and all under the bar. I had to get outta there as I kept seeing them crawling towards me in my peripheral vision and was swatting them away. It was nasty 55555 I'll be cutting that joint off and heading to the Thai bar on the way back from Chinatown.
lots of bars to have a few drinks around Bukit Bintang area before looking for some company

peteman

I hit Chinatown at about 8pm and headed into the place. It's pretty much just a typical market that you'd find anywhere in Thailand selling cheap crap and rip off gear at inflated prices. There were only 3 places to eat inside the market but a fair few around the exterior so i found a place that looked ok and settled in for a feed and a couple of beers. As I'm finishing up the walky talkies they're all holding start going off and half the staff scatter and hide. I'm told by the uber guy it's compliance checking on prices/rip off and checking cheap foreign labour. Then round the corner comes maybe 20-30 guys/girls dressed in blue jump suits wearing berets. When I'm leaving the place there was 3-4 big trucks that pulled up and parked out the front of the markets kinda blocking the road out of the place.

I hop back on the sky train and decide to head straight home, the beers have hit me and I figure I've gotta be up early in the morning as the uber guy tells me with traffic I need to be leaving no later than 6am to get to the airport at 8am. So I crash out for the night. I'm up at 5:30am ready to roll and hit the lobby at 6am where he's waiting. Off to the airport and we arrive at 7:15am so I'm plenty early for the 10:15am but as I'm standing in front of the flight board looking for my flight I can't seem to find it? I go to the self check in thing and print off my boarding pass to find that the flight has been changed to depart at 12:20pm now. No email, no SMS no contact at all from Air Asia. Sorry Ozzyguy, but Air Asia sucks. I'm done using them.

I'd probably go back to KL, it's pretty nice, friendly people and the food was good. I'd like to try Penang though next time.

peteman

I arrive in Luang Prabang and get my visa on arrival form filled out along with my little passport photo but I've forgotten the $31usd to go along with it so I head to an ATM and withdraw some $ and head back inside. It's all done in 10-15 mins and I'm outta there. I'm staying at the 3 Nagas Hotel which is one of the nicer places and they've got a driver waiting for me. Into the car and off to the hotel only about 15mins away from the airport.

Coming into the main st I'm taken back by how beautiful the place is. Reminds me of a mix of Hoi An, Thailand and a little of Bali. I check into the room and the staff member starts with a bit of a hard sell with the Accor holiday membership club. A mate of mine is a member of this and it's overpriced and restrictive so I politely tell her I'll pass. This place doesn't have a pool but I'm welcome to use the sister hotels pool about 2kms away. All good and I have a quick shower and set off. This place is just so laid back. Quite, clean and naturally beautiful. I feel like I could spend heaps more time here than the 4 nights I've got booked. I head down to the river and have a beer at a little place overlooking the water and watch it raging past for an hour or so. Beer Lao is ok. Pretty much like all Asian beer I reckon.

OZZYGUY

peteman;332388 said:
I go to the self check in thing and print off my boarding pass to find that the flight has been changed to depart at 12:20pm now. No email, no SMS no contact at all from Air Asia. Sorry Ozzyguy, but Air Asia sucks. I'm done using them.
Strange you didn't get a email.

After my post before about hardly any delays with Air Asia I got a delay.....should have kept my month shut.........55

I was in my hotel in Chiang mai about to go to the airport and I GOT A EMAIL that the flight was now 5.55pm not 4.55pm CM to KUL. No big deal had 3 hours in KUL to fill in anyway.

peteman

Haha good ol Scare Asia!

I head out to the night market and have a bit of a look around and it's pretty similar to other ones. It's quite long and at the end I stumble across a long alley way that's jam packed full of little food places using charcoal grills etc. I wander down and pick one and order some stuff off the table. I've had a fair few beer Lao by now and over order as I tend to do but it's all great and I smash it all up in no time. I've googled a Bar that sounded ok and screen shot directions to it. I'm walking down this long ass road and it starts to pour raining. I'm already pretty pissed so I decided to turn back and head home as I want to get up and see the local monks do the alms ceremony that happens every morning at around 5:30am. Wishful thinking. I call past a local store and grab a couple of takeaways and by the time I get home I've lost interest and hit the sack. I don't hear the alarm go off and miss the monks but there's always tomorrow.

peteman

On the plus side I open up tinder and match with an expat who works at a local tour desk. After a bit of small talk she says come down after work and say hello. I spend the day wondering about the place and have some lunch and generally just laze about the joint. I head to her work (only 100m from where I'm staying) and we head out for dinner and drinks. We end up back in my hotel room at about 11ish and it's all too easy! She's a probably a 6/10 and doesn't really perform that well in bed so I suggest that I need some rest and she goes back to her house. So she leaves and i crash out. How good is Tinder 555

I wake up randomly at 6:00am and spring out of bed thinking sweet, I'll catch these monks doing their thing. Too late and once I'm awake, I'm awake. So i dick around on the internet for a couple of hours and head down for some brekky which was great. I decide I'll hire a scooter and head to Kuang Si Falls and I'm glad I did. The place was breathtaking. Easily one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Had a feed outside the place in the little market/food stalls and headed back into town. Showered up and went for a foot massage (which was pretty sub par compared to the ones in LOS) and will probably head out to get a feed soon.

Maybe I'll send the starfish tour guide a message later, depends how many beer Lao I get stuck into.

OZZYGUY

peteman;332559 said:
Maybe I'll send the starfish tour guide a message later, depends how many beer Lao I get stuck into.
Remember the one night rule.................. Wouldn't want to see you fall for this gal and your report turns into another marriage / house build thread.....55

peteman

I ended up sending the starfish a message and she wasn't up for it as she was broke and saving her $ til payday (or maybe I was the shit root??) 555 who cares anyway.

I end up at the Aussie bar which was quite. I have a couple of beers there and then I wonder around the night markets and get myself a feed off the street there of the local pork noodle soup. A few more snacks off the charcoal grills and I'm on my way back to the bar area (it's tiny). I end up at Lao Lao bar which I'm told by the starfish is the local gay bar. It's super chilled out, and I'm left alone (maybe I'm a shit root and even the boys don't want me 55555). I sink way way too many beer Lao and decide to head off around 10:30pm. All the bars in town with the exception of yen sabai shut here at 11:30pm and I can't be fucked going there so i head for home stopping on the way to grab a couple of longies as I'm a pig when drinking and think I'll need more. I get back and put some tunes on and crack a longie. Luang Prabang is soo quite and peaceful. I finish my beer and turn in for the night as I'm determined to get up at 5:30am and watch the local monks doing their alms ceremony which passes right by the front of my hotel.

peteman

I manage to get up early enough to see the Alms ceremony which was cool to see but I'm hungover as a mongrel dog so I crash out for another few hours, get up and have some brekky and pack my stuff ready to fly out to Siem Reap at 2:30pm. The hotel tells me I should get there at 12:30 so that's what I do. And it's lucky they did. I get into the airport and sit down for a coffee and look at the ticket, the flight has been changed to 1:45pm! Thanks Vietnam Airline for the heads up 555

It's a quick flight to Siem Reap and the hotel has a tuk tuk driver waiting for me as I arrive. I hop in and head to the hotel and check in to the Apsara Residence which is just across the river about 5mins walk to Pub St. As the guy is giving me the usual room features talk he makes it very clear they do not accept outside visitors in the hotel. (Apparently I didn't research this one very well) 555

I spend the next few days in Siem Reap doing all the touristy things and generally being a pisshead. I have only seen really one girly bar which I had a couple of beers in but the talent was older than I like and I remember the hotel guy giving me the chat so I don't bother.

The tuk tuk drivers here a fucking relentless. I definitely won't miss those assholes when I leave.

Bacon

Administrator
Great read man. Good to have TRs covering other parts of SEA.

I'm glad I cut Malaysia out of my last trip though, it doesn't really sound all that appealing to me now. And good job in Laos, maybe I'll give Tinder a go here.

peteman

I decide I'll have an early night as I've got a taxi booked to the Cambodian border at Poipet. Got a quote from the hotel $45usd, got another one from a tour place $35usd. Ended up getting it for $25usd. I've done a bit of reading up about the trip and it's suggested that I get there as early as possible to avoid the bus loads of Chinese tourists that roll up at about 8-10am so I'm up at 5am ready for the taxi at 5:30am. I head out to the lobby and there's who I think is my driver. He says to me "your face look different from yesterday, are you tired" I say to him nah mate I've never used you before. Anyway into the taxi I get with my large backpack and we set off. We get about 10mins from the hotel and he asks which part of Angkor Wat I'd like to see today...so I pull out my receipt and show him and he starts muttering something and the penny drops to the both of us that I'm in the wrong taxi 555 back to the hotel and into the right one and off to the border. I pretty much sleep most of the way and wake about 10mins before the crossing.

I've already got my departure card filled out and stapled inside my passport and honestly exiting the Cambodian side was a breeze. It's when I got into the Thai side the fun began. There's no real directions, no assistance of any kind. So you kinda follow the crowd and end up filling in the arrival/departure card and head up a set of stairs into immigration. The snaking lines that you see when you queue were 4 deep and about 6m wide I'd say? That took 1.5hrs to get through. There were only 2 staff on. What a joke. On the way through this little Filipino girl runs up to me panicking she's going to miss her bus to BKK as somehow she's managed to get through immigration once but has ended up back on the other side and now has to clear immigration again??? And she's asking me all these questions as if I can help 555

Once you clear that shit fight it's a simple walk straight out the front and to the taxi stand where I pay $2500bht for the taxi to the pier for Koh Chang. It takes about 3.5hrs but as the drivers dad was Sebastian Vettel and loves to drive in 4th gear at 9000rpm we get there early. I arrive at the pier and we have to wait for the next ferry as the current one is full so that's another hour at the terminal. There's not much to do there and only one place to eat. The foods actually not that bad and i sink into my 1st Singha for the trip. It's pissing down raining as we exit the ferry and the taxi drops me to my hotel and I check into the Banpu Hotel. As it's state of Origin decider night I search for somewhere local to watch the big game and head off to the White Elephant which screens it.

peteman

I decide I'll have an early night as I've got a taxi booked to the Cambodian border at Poipet. Got a quote from the hotel $45usd, got another one from a tour place $35usd. Ended up getting it for $25usd. I've done a bit of reading up about the trip and it's suggested that I get there as early as possible to avoid the bus loads of Chinese tourists that roll up at about 8-10am so I'm up at 5am ready for the taxi at 5:30am. I head out to the lobby and there's who I think is my driver. He says to me "your face look different from yesterday, are you tired" I say to him nah mate I've never used you before. Anyway into the taxi I get with my large backpack and we set off. We get about 10mins from the hotel and he asks which part of Angkor Wat I'd like to see today...so I pull out my receipt and show him and he starts muttering something and the penny drops to the both of us that I'm in the wrong taxi 555 back to the hotel and into the right one and off to the border. I pretty much sleep most of the way and wake about 10mins before the crossing.

I've already got my departure card filled out and stapled inside my passport and honestly exiting the Cambodian side was a breeze. It's when I got into the Thai side the fun began. There's no real directions, no assistance of any kind. So you kinda follow the crowd and end up filling in the arrival/departure card and head up a set of stairs into immigration. The snaking lines that you see when you queue were 4 deep and about 6m wide I'd say? That took 1.5hrs to get through. There were only 2 staff on. What a joke. On the way through this little Filipino girl runs up to me panicking she's going to miss her bus to BKK as somehow she's managed to get through immigration once but has ended up back on the other side and now has to clear immigration again??? And she's asking me all these questions as if I can help 555

Once you clear that shit fight it's a simple walk straight out the front and to the taxi stand where I pay $2500bht for the taxi to the pier for Koh Chang. It takes about 3.5hrs but as the drivers dad was Sebastian Vettel and loves to drive in 4th gear at 9000rpm we get there early. I arrive at the pier and we have to wait for the next ferry as the current one is full so that's another hour at the terminal. There's not much to do there and only one place to eat. The foods actually not that bad and i sink into my 1st Singha for the trip. It's pissing down raining as we exit the ferry and the taxi drops me to my hotel and I check into the Banpu Hotel. As it's state of Origin decider night I search for somewhere local to watch the big game and head off to the White Elephant which screens it.

peteman

Bacon;333084 said:
Great read man. Good to have TRs covering other parts of SEA.

I'm glad I cut Malaysia out of my last trip though, it doesn't really sound all that appealing to me now. And good job in Laos, maybe I'll give Tinder a go here.
Yeah man I thought KL was ok. I wouldn't be rushing back there any time soon though. If you're in Luang Prabang and one pops up called Emma steer clear 555 what a fucking nut job.

So we match on Tinder (for the uninitiated Tinder is supposed to be used for casual sex though more and more women, are using it to try and find husbands. You'll find the ones that are there for sex usually make it pretty obvious) and she suggests I go to her work and meet up. Yep all good, head there and I'll be honest I got catfished a bit. She looks nothing like her profile pics and is also on the larger side. But I'm a lowly dog and decide I'll bang her anyways. Now her office is not air conditioned and it's hot and the relative humidity is 160%. Keep that in mind.

We head out for dinner and drinks and get back to room where I head straight to the shower, you know to wash off all the sweat and so I'm clean for the fun we're about to have. She doesn't. So i rail her for a while and that's that. I'm all all hot and sweaty afterwards so I have another shower then she does too. She says she has to go home as she's left her cat outside which sounds like an excuse to me but I'm happy. I got one away and she leaves.

As I've mentioned before I asked her out again the next night but she makes an excuse. We're still chatting on What's App when I arrive in Siem Reap more so out of boredom on my part. It's not like I was ever going to see her again but here's where it gets interesting 555

She starts messaging me one night obviously drunk and I was too. It's all going ok and we're chatting about what went down that night and she asks why I didn't go down on her. I politely tell her if she had showered I would have been happy to do that. Then she unleashes this tirade about I was happy to stick my dick in there but didn't want to eat it blah blah i was weird for having a shower beforehand. Why didn't I (after I'd blown in there) go down on her? It goes on and on and on and I'm sitting in my pool just pissing myself laughing. Then she drops on me that she wasn't on birth control and what am I going to do about that 55555

I reply with see ya crazy! I've had the snip! 5555 then I block and delete her. Can't seem to figure out why she's still single 5555555

peteman

I wash up and head to the White Elephant and get settled in to (hopefully) watch NSW obliterate QLD. I meet a nice young couple and we begin chatting away and drinking together. She's from Holland and he's from Sydney and they both live in Cronulla and are house sitting her parents Air BnB. They've been here for about 4 months now and are ready to go back home and I'm not surprised why. Koh Chang is easily the worst place I've ever been to in LOS. But more on that later.

A few more join the group, a couple of older expat dudes, another younger couple and the drinking games begin as I slowly watch NSW drift into yet another Origin loss. Talking to the couple that are house sitting about crossing the Cambodian/Thailand border they tell me they've got a guy who charges about $200bht and they're done and dusted for their visa run in less than 1hr. The night degenerates into a piss fuelled affair with the expat who is apparently a multi millionaire and owns offshore businesses all across Asia, shouting everyone and trying his best to get this young 21yr old Aussie chick to go full lesbian with his thai missus and assures her he will just watch 55555

The conversation kinda turns political and I put up with it as long as I can as there's a good vibe there but eventually I get the shits with it and bail. As it's my 1st night and it's on my way home I call past little Pattaya and do a quick loop of the bars to scope out the talent and there isn't much. Chock full of LB's and old ass thai women. I'm fucking wasted by this time and even then nothing is appealing to me. I'm buggered from the early start and am happy to crash out anyways.

peteman

I wake up feeling better than expected but to pissing down rain and wind. So I just chill in my room as I've already missed breakfast. Boredom sets in and I shower up and head to the 7/11 and buy an umbrella and set off walking down the street to explore a little. I'm staying in White Sand beach and it's low season. I'd say 50% of the place is closed or I'm limp mode. I walk into a restaurant (1 of the 6 or so that are open) and order a feed of Pork Larb and some pork with garlic and pepper, a couple of favs of mine when in LOS. I finish up head back off into the rain.

My first impressions of Koh Chang aren't great. It's a bit of a Shithole in my opinion. It's old, run down and lacks the beauty of Koh Samui. I'm also not overly impressed with the hotel and the staff are bored and unattentive. I'm thinking of moving somewhere with a bit more life and on reading find that apparently Lonely Beach is a bit more lively. So I hop in a tuk tuk and head over there. I've found a place on Agoda that looks pretty nice and think why stay in White Sand Beach if I don't like it?

So I pull up into Lonely Beach and whilst it's a bit better, again probably 50% of the place is shut. It pretty much deserted and now I'm thinking why spend more money on this? I have a beer or 2 at one of the only bars I could find that was open and decide I'll head back to White Sand Beach.

With nothing better to do i decide to get a foot massage. The rough plan for tonight is to head to the White Elephant, have a few there and wait for little Pattaya to fire up a bit then head there a try and find something to bring home for the night.

So I start off walking, the White Elephant is only 5-8mins walk away from my hotel and as I'm walking past little Pattaya I spot one I'd definitely smash so I give her the nod and tell her I'll see her in a few hours when I'm done up the road. I finish at the White Elephant and make my way down to the One Red Light Bar and see the chick. She's actually pretty hot, maybe 30yrs old, a solid 7/10 and actually has tits. We start the usual games of pool etc and I've had atleast 5-6 beers before she asks me for a lady drink. Sure no worries. She's pretty laid back and after a couple of hours I barfine her $500bht and head back to the hotel. She's an animal when we get back and into it. I hit her twice that night, once early in the morning then back to sleep again for a couple of hours and wake up with her sucking away 5555 what a little champion!

There's none of the usual bullshit in the morning and I pay her and tell her I may see her tonight.

peteman

I head out and grab some lunch and the sun comes out. I figure I'll go rent a scooter and go for a burn and give the place a chance. As I've already been towards Lonely Beach in the taxi i figure I'll head the other way. I pretty much do a loop of the island and head back as I reckon it's gunna rain again like it has been. I have a feed at this little strip of night food market and head back to the White Elephant again. I'm kinda buggered from last night and am not sure I'm up to hitting the chick again but call past anyways and say hi. Again she's really laid back and we have a few drinks together. I'm watching this Dutch guy getting absolutely sharked by this older bar girl. The guys stupid enough to be betting her $100bht a match. And the guy can't play for shit. It's a crack up. I play a few games with my chick and the shark challenges me to a game as I've beaten my chick 4-0. Yeah no worries I say but not for money. I beat her 6-0 and she starts getting the shits telling me I've still gotta buy her a drink. Time to leave 555

Sorry Ozzyguy but I broke the golden rule and took the same one home again but I'm so knackered from the previous night we just crash out but make up for it in the morning. After round 2 I'm ready for some sleep. I wake up again with her sucking away and then as she's leaving, I've already given her the cash, but I'm still laying in bed she's back on top and we're into it again 555

She starts getting a bit lovey dovey and starts sending me pics of hereself to me on What's App (apparently pissed last night I've given her my number). I tell her I've gotta get some sleep and she gives me a nice massage before and leaves.

OZZYGUY

peteman;333286 said:
I
Sorry Ozzyguy but I broke the golden rule and took the same one home again but I'm so knackered from the previous night we just crash out but make up for it in the morning. After round 2 I'm ready for some sleep. I wake up again with her sucking away and then as she's leaving, I've already given her the cash, but I'm still laying in bed she's back on top and we're into it again 555

She starts getting a bit lovey dovey and starts sending me pics of hereself to me on What's App (apparently pissed last night I've given her my number). I tell her I've gotta get some sleep and she gives me a nice massage before and leaves.
Its started..........Too late now, you are on her radar for the rest of your trip and beyond....55

peteman

555555 funny you mention that. She's sent me 16 photos and called twice 5555

Though it's easy enough to delete her off there and I wasn't planning to head to Little Pattaya tonight...though I do have to walk past there on the way home. And she does know where I'm staying obviously 555

I've decided to leave Koh Chang a few days early as it's just not my scene. I've booked a mini van to Patts and it picks me up at 11:20am in the morning. It's my 1st ever visit there and I'm looking forward to some action and a new scene.