Manila, Cambodia Laos & Thailand

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Stillearly;334827 said:
someone I work with has just been off on hols for two weeks , six days of which he had salmonella food poisoning .... he looks great , lost 1/2 stone 5555
My 1st trip to Thailand I got a bacterial infection
About 20x worse than food poison...

I lost 20lbs in 10 days, I couldn't eat anything (but kept drinking 555)

At one point, I was just shitting in the shower as I took a shower.
My last night at The Westin in BKK, I totally shit the bed.......left 60usd on the night stand when I left!!

I got home and went to the doctors, he could barely touch my stomach w/o it rolling all around.

It actually has effected me now ever since.
I used to have a decent stomach and now I get instantly sick if food is just slightly off
 

Stillearly

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;334867 said:
My 1st trip to Thailand I got a bacterial infection
About 20x worse than food poison...

I lost 20lbs in 10 days, I couldn't eat anything (but kept drinking 555)

At one point, I was just shitting in the shower as I took a shower.
My last night at The Westin in BKK, I totally shit the bed.......left 60usd on the night stand when I left!!

I got home and went to the doctors, he could barely touch my stomach w/o it rolling all around.

It actually has effected me now ever since.
I used to have a decent stomach and now I get instantly sick if food is just slightly off
flight home must have been fun ..... ;)
 

PeteGill

Well-known member
Luck or not I am not sure. But since I started taking the electrolyte replenishment drinks in LOS I have had no stomach issues in LOS (I had two fairly bad bouts in my earlier trips) I am not that convinced that it is all down to bad food in my case. Dehydration and heat can take their toll too.

And beer is NOT a rehydrate 555
Attached files
 

Stillearly

Well-known member
PeteGill;334909 said:
Luck or not I am not sure. But since I started taking the electrolyte replenishment drinks in LOS I have had no stomach issues in LOS (I had two fairly bad bouts in my earlier trips) I am not that convinced that it is all down to bad food in my case. Dehydration and heat can take their toll too.

And beer is NOT a rehydrate 555
what about vodka ? ;)
 

Bacon

Administrator
I find a beer does kick a lot of instant liquid into your system if you're dehydrated. But then you gotta drink water. Can't just keep knocking back more brew or you'll end up worse.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Bacon;334938 said:
I find a beer does kick a lot of instant liquid into your system if you're dehydrated. But then you gotta drink water. Can't just keep knocking back more brew or you'll end up worse.
I pretty much drink one water for every beer or two.

Especially in the west where you can order a nice glass of ice water

I honestly can't remember the last time I walked up to a bar and ordered a beer without an ice water
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Travel sickness

It's funny that if you travel like we do, you just know you will get sick.

When I was in Costa Rica with the kids, the 18yr girl got sick.
I wasn't discounting her sickness but the two kids were sort of freaked by it.

I just explained it happens when you travel

She was better the next day
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Funny thing about when I got the bacterial infection that 1st time

I was pretty careful in what I ate.


And only other time I was real worried about food was when I went to India
I even bought this round of antibiotics you take before(although I left the last of it in plane 555)

But I was very worried throughout my trip
Didn't get sick once
 

Moo Uaon

Well-known member
I only ever got the flu when I travelled. One food poisoning episode in nearly a decade in SE Asia.....including some bahn mi's in the north of VN....woof.!
 
M

maleesu

Guest
As much as I want to be adventurous when it comes to eating local foods of the countries that I'm visiting, I just couldn't take the risk of getting sick. Last time that I had a terrible stomach ache is when I went to Bali. I think I spent the whole day sitting in the throne. :(
 
Top