marriage visa versus retirement visa

crispy

Ok for all the seasoned veterans here i am looking for info on both of these visas ,what is good what is bad for each one .I have been told that one is harder to get than the other but i would like some inside knowledge from members who are living in thailand about them so i can get a better idea ,i know things change in thailand at the drop of a hat but a general discussion would help .cheers

Z

Zablive

Firstly you need to understand the difference between a Visa, only obtainable outside of Thailand and an Extension, only available inside
Thailand from your local Immigration office where you live.Both Extensions are for one year and both require a Re-entry permit if you want to leave Thailand and come back with an intact Extension.

The Retirement Extension takes one day to obtain (usually) and financial requirements of either 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank OR an Income of 65,000 Baht (certified by Affidavit from your Embassy here) OR a combination of both totaling over 800K per annum.

The Marriage Extension is more complicated in paperwork required, takes an "under consideration period" of 30 days and either 400K in a Thai bank OR Income of 40,000 Baht per month (NO combination method available).

Both Extensions have differing "money seasoning" requirements.

For both Extensions it is best to enter on some form of Non Immi O Visa - or obtain one from a nearby Consulate or Embassy (Laos, Penang etc)

Z

Zablive

dave01;355909 said:
IMO, if you qualify for both..... take the marriage extension... less money needs to be tied up
The money is only tied up while being "seasoned" - 60 - 90 days.
It can be withdrawn 5 minutes after either Extension is stamped or used as needed for living expenses with no withdrawal costs with a Thai debit card.

MarcTwoSix

dave01;355909 said:
IMO, if you qualify for both..... take the marriage extension... less money needs to be tied up
If someone is worried about 16k being tied up for a few months
They probably should go back to their country and work a bit more 555

Sydney

Zablive;355901 said:
Both Extensions have differing "money seasoning" requirements.
Zablive;355911 said:
The money is only tied up while being "seasoned" - 60 - 90 days.
It can be withdrawn 5 minutes after either Extension is stamped or used as needed for living expenses with no withdrawal costs with a Thai debit card.
What exactly does seasoned mean ? ...

Z

Zablive

Sydney;355929 said:
What exactly does seasoned mean ? ...
The amount of time Immi requires your bank deposit to be in a Thai bank.
Helps to stop the practice of borrowing the day before the application and repaying the loan after stamping.

IRRC for Retirement, 2 months the first time and 3 months subsequently.
For Marriage I believe 60 days each time.

crispy

Thanks for the replies guys really just putting feelers out at this time as to what is required and as someone did tell me the marriage visa is a bit more complex but either is easy money to comply with when i decide to move .i think i would prefer to leave it in a high interest account rather than have to worry about when a renewal comes around trying to find it if it had been used just my thinking anyway again thanks for the replies .