Medical Insurance

RakThai

Distantpeak;193509 said:
Which is more painful? Or does it depend? And you can't compare? Paulies sounds more like a lower neck injury as opposed to the lumbar injury of dazza?
Yes, C for cervical, L for lumbar...

Cervical, everything is much smaller, and the herniated disk is less deep.. However, there is a lot of nerve tissue and many different muscles you have to pass to operate..
Other difference is spinal marrow, which only goes to the level of L2.. So lumbar surgery has no risks of damaging the marrow.. cervical has..

For the cause of the disk herniation, lumbar is usually dynamic trauma, heavy lifting or something like that, where cervical problems are usually from static trauma (if you can say it like that).. Too long in the same position, too much stress, etc.

Because of the risks in cervical surgery, they will wait as long as possible.. Really only operate when there is nerve compression (paralysis in the arm)..
This means that the herniated disk will be there for some time before surgery...

And that's the main problem after surgery.. The muscles of the neck cause compression and lead to pain, regardless of the result of surgery..
Same goes for lumbar herniated disks, but usually they are operated on in an earlier stage..

What the muscles can do? Whiplash trauma usually does not show any tissue damage, the problem is only the muscle response...

MarcTwoSix

RakThai;193510 said:
Yes, C for cervical, L for lumbar...

Cervical, everything is much smaller, and the herniated disk is less deep.. However, there is a lot of nerve tissue and many different muscles you have to pass to operate..
Other difference is spinal marrow, which only goes to the level of L2.. So lumbar surgery has no risks of damaging the marrow.. cervical has..

For the cause of the disk herniation, lumbar is usually dynamic trauma, heavy lifting or something like that, where cervical problems are usually from static trauma (if you can say it like that).. Too long in the same position, too much stress, etc.

Because of the risks in cervical surgery, they will wait as long as possible.. Really only operate when there is nerve compression (paralysis in the arm)..
This means that the herniated disk will be there for some time before surgery...

And that's the main problem after surgery.. The muscles of the neck cause compression and lead to pain, regardless of the result of surgery..
Same goes for lumbar herniated disks, but usually they are operated on in an earlier stage..

What the muscles can do? Whiplash trauma usually does not show any tissue damage, the problem is only the muscle response...

I used to think having lumbar issues was so much worse and it probably is but man I'd give anything for a decent nights sleep or not leaving work with a screaming migraine on a busy day
But the after work issue is my own fault..... there are stretches I could do at work but when I am real busy it is hard to remember to

Z

Zablive

C7/T1 (base of the neck) disc herniation for me following a compression injury underneath a shearing shed.
(A ram lamb charged and hit me in the nuts - I jumped up, forgetting I was 6'2" and the floor joist was 4'6" above me.)
A brilliant neurosurgeon did minimal surgery on me - I did the surgery on the ram ...
Like M26 - if I watch my sitting posture and do regular stretches I've had minimal problems since over 29 years.

As for sex after surgery - lie back and enjoy it 555!

D

Dazza

MarcTwoSix;193530 said:
I used to think having lumbar issues was so much worse and it probably is but man I'd give anything for a decent nights sleep or not leaving work with a screaming migraine on a busy day
But the after work issue is my own fault..... there are stretches I could do at work but when I am real busy it is hard to remember to
So far I'm feeling really good, but I'm gonna start doing some back strengthening exercises when I'm able to do so.

Z

Zablive

Core strengthening is the key -and posture and all that stuff.
Starting in the pool .
Stretching, gentle exs, walking semi weight bearing in water is a good start.
The strength of your back doesn't come from the "back muscles" - Extensors - but from your core stability and abdominal muscle groups.

D

Dazza

Zablive;194964 said:
Core strengthening is the key -and posture and all that stuff.
Starting in the pool .
Stretching, gentle exs, walking semi weight bearing in water is a good start.
The strength of your back doesn't come from the "back muscles" - Extensors - but from your core stability and abdominal muscle groups.
Cheers Zab, would give that a crack, but winters coming and no heated pools around here :-( I reckon I'll just start walking and gentle exercise.

Stillearly

Dazza;195078 said:
Cheers Zab, would give that a crack, but winters coming and no heated pools around here :-( I reckon I'll just start walking and gentle exercise.
Pilates is great for core strengthening , if there are any Beginers classes nearby , worth a go

D

Dazza

Well...back to work again in 2 days, man, 3 months have really flown by !!! not looking forward to the weather though....brrrrrrr !!!

MarcTwoSix

Dazza;202264 said:
Well...back to work again in 2 days, man, 3 months have really flown by !!! not looking forward to the weather though....brrrrrrr !!!
I am weird. I guess
After 3 months of that heat I would be looking forward to the cold

Well.....at least you had 3 months of no work!!

Chob

Just saw this thread.
As an expat Im often asked about my insurance.
I took out 'Nomads World Travel' travel insurance when I was travelling here from 2006 and stuck with that when I moved here in early 2008.
I selected it because it had no time limit on how long you stayed in any country , whereas many Co's. had a time limit of anything between 30 to 90 days of visiting before you were deemed 'living' in a country and no longer "Travelling" and therefore no longer eligible for any payout.

The rate was to be about $1400 a year ... but like any business they made up some discounts like my previous good health and age ( at first 48 ) to reduce the premium to around $700 AUD a year.
I had a claim early for about $200 on what long term turned out to be gout.
But nothing for the next few years till I had a mini-stroke in December 2012.
It may not sound like a bonus , but I had my stroke at Nana soi 4 in Bkk , and that turned out to be about 10 mins taxi ride to Bumrumgrad Hospital ( a leading Thai hospital) and immediate treatment for a stroke is critical ...though I struggle to think of any serious illness in which delay is of any help...
Anyway , the bill was 230,000 baht.
Nomads paid with only a few calls , and I thank them for that , but they were hell bent on getting me back to Australia thereafter.
Their q's pertained along the same lines ..."Are you living in one place in Asia or not?"
You NEVER say you are LIVING anywhere.
Fortunately I could back my claims I was travelling with tickets and room receipts in Samui, Bkk , NST , PP and Surat.

Besides the obvious reason that I would be a Medicare ( Aus National Health ) patient on arrival back in Aus , they could also wash their hands of any complications or further treatments once I was landed there ( its in the fine print ).
BUT , ONLY if THEY 'repatriated' me and paid to see me home ...

Since I flew myself they couldnt wipe 8 months of my membership or wipe any claims I had.

This is an important point though it doesnt appear to be and didnt initailly appear to be to me either.
What they tried to avoid telling me was that if , for example , I proved to have brain , ahh , 'knock off' , and needed therapy , then the contract absolved them of any financial responsibilities IF they had repatriated me.
As well , the fine print also stated that if they repatriated me then my contract ( then only 4 months into a years term ) was also finished , as it was Travel Insurance and didnt apply to being home... So if I came back to Asia I needed to pay for a new 12 months.
I only learnt any of this because as it turned out , I had my stroke only 13 days before I had a ticket to fly home anyway and told them that.

So here am I feeling a fair way recovered and back in HKT ( which they knew I flew to and said nothing ) and ready to go home on my ticket I already had and the Insurance Co. is calling me and strongly suggesting I fly back to BKK (while the Yellow Shirts riots are happening) , to wait to pick up a nurse ( when they could acquire one ) and fly Business to Sydney to , basically , to save them any further risk .... while also emphasizing how time in the air post-stroke is so dangerous !

No nurse or airfare was forthcoming as my private booking time came up so I flew.
In Aus a rep of Nomads tried to tell me I had nullified my Insurance by flying myself back and I challenged him to prove that , and he never called back.
I paid for any gap back in Aus for any tests and forgot about Nomads ... they had served their purpose.

I now have BUPA personal health insurance.
It costs about $1200 a year ( Emerald package ) and by my reckoning would cover about half my previous stroke bill.

But make no mistake ... a private health card ses your service VERY quick.

Tingtong

^Interesting stuff Chob,
I'm surprised BUPA covered you with a pre existing condition. Are you covered for any problems related to your Stroke that may occur (hopefully not)in the future or did they impose any conditions ?
Its such a tricky thing health insurance and Im glad you got a positive outcome mate.

justcruzing1

I saw an article recently about an Aust. girl working for a company in BKK.
She had friends over and they insisted on going to the full moon party, they were on holidays and had insurance.

they had buckets of drink and 2 suddenly got very ill. She had to get them to a hospital and they were. after 2 days on drips etc recovered.

It said their insurance refused to cover the hospital expenses and that all insurance policies do not cover for anything caused by you being over the legal limit. So drink a bit, get over the limit but not drunk, ride a bike home and get run off the road on the way and if you blow over the limit no insurance cover.

Obviously I don't have any policy to look at but maybe something to keep a look out for.