Minder is in Bangkok.....is anyone else?

Rivo

Bacon;295097 said:
Fuck that I might prebook a fast track at Swampi.

When I was at swampy 6 or 7 weeks back the queue was next to nothing for falangs and a wait of 3 or 4 people for the Thai Citizens section, I was with my mates missus at the time and the security girl made me go with her to the Thai section and wait 555....................no idea why 555...............that was on a thursday arvo about 3pm.........that was the least amount of people ive ever seen there.

Bacon

Administrator
To be honest the line has always moved fast enough for me even with a fair few people there. But I keep hearing all these horror stories.

PeteGill

Rivo;295099 said:
When I was at swampy 6 or 7 weeks back the queue was next to nothing for falangs and a wait of 3 or 4 people for the Thai Citizens section, I was with my mates missus at the time and the security girl made me go with her to the Thai section and wait 555....................no idea why 555...............that was on a thursday arvo about 3pm.........that was the least amount of people ive ever seen there.
My experience was much the same, but at about 07:30.. From leaving my plane to picking up my luggage was a little over 10 minutes.. Then I had to stand around for another forty five minutes waiting for my arranged taxi...
I doubt I will get that lucky again...

Quarky

Administrator
Bacon;295100 said:
To be honest the line has always moved fast enough for me even with a fair few people there. But I keep hearing all these horror stories.
That's what forums are for... to keep you vigilant. Do not under any circumstance let them fit that sim card to your arse...

Bacon

Administrator
Distantpeak;295117 said:
That's what forums are for... to keep you vigilant. Do not under any circumstance let them fit that sim card to your arse...
It'll happen sooner or later, so better not fight it I say. Plus it gives you feedback on your digestive health.

Minder

From the moment you arrive you are bombarded with acknowledgement of his passing..
Black is the new black everywhere and on almost everyone....with a surprisingly high number of farang tourists falling into step....

Overall I'd say the atmosphere is more respectful than despondent or sad. Life goes on.

MarcTwoSix

Minder;306023 said:
From the moment you arrive you are bombarded with acknowledgement of his passing..
Black is the new black everywhere and on almost everyone....with a surprisingly high number of farang tourists falling into step....

Overall I'd say the atmosphere is more respectful than despondent or sad. Life goes on.

Ao's business is mostly banner/awnings/advertisement installation and she has been busy non-stop since his death
So many businesses want to display a banner out of respect

Minder

Big day yesterday.
Took Mrs M to the Throne room of the Grand Palace where the late HRH lays in state.

Sounds easy when you say it like that.
Logistical nightmare x 10....

I did see one other farang in the crowd inside.
I needed to produce ID (photocopy of passport) but so did all the Thais.
I was searched I think more thoroughly than was the average Thai - but professionally.

Got there at 4am and into the Throne Room around 10am. Exiting the grounds by 10 past.
No regrets.

Ian Forbes

Minder;306651 said:
Big day yesterday.
Took Mrs M to the Throne room of the Grand Palace where the late HRH lays in state.

Sounds easy when you say it like that.
Logistical nightmare x 10....

I did see one other farang in the crowd inside.
I needed to produce ID (photocopy of passport) but so did all the Thais.
I was searched I think more thoroughly than was the average Thai - but professionally.

Got there at 4am and into the Throne Room around 10am. Exiting the grounds by 10 past.
No regrets.
Full marks for even trying, Minder. I know I certainly wouldn't have gone to that effort knowing what was in store.

Quarky

Administrator
4am to 10am... impressive standing for that long... my legs would have gone. As you say though... it's a rare thing to see...

Minder

Ian Forbes;306672 said:
Full marks for even trying, Minder. I know I certainly wouldn't have gone to that effort knowing what was in store.
Not something I would have attempted for my own sake but for Mrs M. I think you will understand how even though this is not our loss he meant a lot to a lot of people who mean the world to us - kinda hard not to feel involved even if it is just reflected grief.

Minder

Distantpeak;306682 said:
4am to 10am... impressive standing for that long... my legs would have gone. As you say though... it's a rare thing to see...
Years of practice standing in one place for hours at demos, footy matches, and the like sure came in handy....555

Minder

Frankly I defy anyone to stand anywhere in any public space in Bangkok today and NOT see some acknowledgement of his passing.

Even the screensavers on the ATMs commemorate him. :respect:

Ian Forbes

Minder;306775 said:
Frankly I defy anyone to stand anywhere in any public space in Bangkok today and NOT see some acknowledgement of his passing.

Even the screensavers on the ATMs commemorate him. :respect:
Of course, that was the same when he was alive. There are/were huge billboards everywhere with the King's picture on them.

briofoz

Ian Forbes;306776 said:
Of course, that was the same when he was alive. There are/were huge billboards everywhere with the King's picture on them.
These ones are all in black and white. Most Thai websites are also black and white as well.

Minder

Ian Forbes;306776 said:
Nope, going to agree to disagree on this one Ian. Sure, he was commonplace before but now everywhere really means Everywhere. The hotel we stayed at last night in Sukhumvit had blocked their main entrance with a memorial shrine. Use the side entrance or f off...555
Nah, IMHO this is all very much the next level.

Ian Forbes

Minder;306800 said:
Nope, going to agree to disagree on this one Ian. Sure, he was commonplace before but now everywhere really means Everywhere. The hotel we stayed at last night in Sukhumvit had blocked their main entrance with a memorial shrine. Use the side entrance or f off...555
Nah, IMHO this is all very much the next level.
Well good for the Thais. I see too much negativity against ALL leaders in the western world.

Cuzzy

I'm up in Nakhon Nowhere at the moment and apart from black and white adorning Government establishments there isn't much celebrating his life apart from what was already on display.

Minder

Cuzzy;307452 said:
I'm up in Nakhon Nowhere at the moment and apart from black and white adorning Government establishments there isn't much celebrating his life apart from what was already on display.
Thanks for the confirmation. I had heard similar from some of Mrs M's contacts that the further you went from BKK the less evident it all is. I guess in someways it is understandable - and as I mentioned earlier, even in BKK, it struck me as life goes on.

Cuzzy

^^ As we all know, the people up here are grafters. Life is tough.

Having spoken with a few via Au's interpretation it's not that the event is diminished in any way, it takes it's place along with equally important things like rice harvesting and chilli planting.

We signed a remembrance book at the entrance to Makro yesterday. My black ribbon has draw polite comment on a number of occasions.