non residents receiving aussie pension

Z

Zablive

" The best laid plans of mice and men aft gang astray" ...

jontymate

Zablive;213667 said:
Baz that sort of statement really pisses me off sorry. It is defeatist and what I struggle against. If I said to you Galileo was father TIME not a telescope bloke. What would you say?

The increment of quantifiably defining a pendulum made accurate time after his death possible. Without him you would not have GPS.

Nah mate. It starts with an idea.

Z

Zablive

jontymate;213673 said:
Baz that sort of statement really pisses me off sorry. It is defeatist and what I struggle against. If I said to you Galileo was father TIME not a telescope bloke. What would you say?

The increment of quantifiably defining a pendulum made accurate time after his death possible. Without him you would not have GPS.

Nah mate. It starts with an idea.
I've no idea how what you have said above relates to what I said.

What about the millions of people who saved all their lives and invested on advice from their banks - only to lose their retirement savings in the GFC?
That's what I was talking about!

What Robbie Burns said is close to the Thai saying - No nobody knows the future.

jontymate

Zablive;213721 said:
I've no idea how what you have said above relates to what I said.

What about the millions of people who saved all their lives and invested on advice from their banks - only to lose their retirement savings in the GFC?
That's what I was talking about!

What Robbie Burns said is close to the Thai saying - No nobody knows the future.
Sorry mate, I jump thoughts that are not expressed well at times. A flaw that is well lived with, within!!!!!!

The education in my idea would negate the blindness to follow. Joe coming out of school has the financial education. It is no different to probability and statistics.

The balance of investment and as you say you cannot predict the future but you can allow for and budget for inconsistency over a long term from leaving school to retirement. Given you have that eduataction.

justcruzing1

I agree there needs to be an education of kids in the last couple of years at school, not just about super but all financial decisions.

As an example, they need to be shown that buying a new car worth $40k will mostly prevent them from getting a home loan.

The number of young couples that came wanting to buy but when you did the figures the car loans and credit cards took all their borrowing ability away. So many, spat the dummy at me and said...just because we drive an nice car you won't get us a loan!!

bacwaan

going back about 10 years I was having a conversation with a friend in Wellington NZ who was the Dean of Architecture at the local Uni about the lack of business practice being taught to Arch students...these kids were doing 6 years to get a degree and at the end many were going to hoist a shingle and start up their own businesses without so much as one module on business practice/marketing

anyway...me and my big mouth...ended up lecturing and taking tutorials on "The Business of Architecture" and "Marketing for Architects" as a guest (part time) for a few years there...I really enjoyed that and hopefully a few young ambitious minds soaked up a bit of experience from someone who had fallen into a few of the bear pits in the past and managed to survive

C

Changone

Zablive;213667 said:
"Och Aye..Rabbie Burnns...he loved a wee dram..".
Poor beggar died at age 37. Not much need for a retirement plan there...
I doubt he had a pot to pi$$ in let alone a window to throw it out of...555

jontymate

bacwaan;214024 said:
going back about 10 years I was having a conversation with a friend in Wellington NZ who was the Dean of Architecture at the local Uni about the lack of business practice being taught to Arch students...these kids were doing 6 years to get a degree and at the end many were going to hoist a shingle and start up their own businesses without so much as one module on business practice/marketing

anyway...me and my big mouth...ended up lecturing and taking tutorials on "The Business of Architecture" and "Marketing for Architects" as a guest (part time) for a few years there...I really enjoyed that and hopefully a few young ambitious minds soaked up a bit of experience from someone who had fallen into a few of the bear pits in the past and managed to survive
I have done exactly the same. It's not only at that level. A tradie needs the same education. Even some accountants 5555 (none on here) .

The guy who cleans my carpets etc at home does a phenomenal job but competing in a silly market at $29.00 / room. I sat with him one day because his back was stuffed. I said people will pay for your passion for excellence and service. Do not compete at the low end. We had a few beers and made a plan.

A short advertising campaign on radio and targeted high end real estate agents whilst he recovered was all that was needed. He could then organise a whole day in affluent suburbs and have someone else do the hard work whilst he supervised and organized. I told him the importance of the PROCESS of a job.

It started with a call the day(s) before saying what he expected to achieve for them and what would be beneficial to the customer to prepare for the job (thus spending less time for him with a better result and the customer having some ownership of results) and it did not end when he left and was paid, it was the satisfaction follow up call, asking for a referral, then the job was finished.

Keep in touch with customers with the latest new protection products (the fries) and get your suppliers to help pay for it and so and so on. All not rocket science and second nature for those selling big ticket items that are transferable.

Financial education is the same, simple methodologies to do some due diligence and like above understanding the human nature of those giving advice. That goes for so called professionals that have God status and can not be questioned.

justcruzing1

^^^ Jonty I think a lot of time it is so beneficial for business owners to have someone from outside their industry come and do a consult.

The usual exercise is for them to seek consults with other's in their industry, someone doing a bit better than them or been in the industry for a long time.

Outsiders eyes can see things others can't, different ways to market, different ways to produce, different products to produce.

As you did with the carpet cleaner and I have done a couple of times with businesses and developers.

P

pooyai

I think at least part of the "problem" is that different agencies use different criteria for determining residency and different decision makers may choose to ignore someone's time overseas. I know of a person who was denied a new medicare card on the basis of time spent overseas but I got a new one mailed to me, my mail collector lost it and I went in next time I was there and they mailed me a second new one a week later. I had only been back for 4 weeks over three years. Likewise people are treated differently by the tax office which has its own "residency ready reckoner". The gorilla in the room may be if the tax office starts to look for people who are claiming the tax free threshold yet don't meet the residency criteria.

Or it could be just too much trouble and too unpopular and controversial to target pensioners, and or self funded retirees, I hope so.

Z

Zablive

pooyai;219079 said:
I think at least part of the "problem" is that different agencies use different criteria for determining residency and different decision makers may choose to ignore someone's time overseas. I know of a person who was denied a new medicare card on the basis of time spent overseas but I got a new one mailed to me, my mail collector lost it and I went in next time I was there and they mailed me a second new one a week later. I had only been back for 4 weeks over three years. Likewise people are treated differently by the tax office which has its own "residency ready reckoner". The gorilla in the room may be if the tax office starts to look for people who are claiming the tax free threshold yet don't meet the residency criteria.

Or it could be just too much trouble and too unpopular and controversial to target pensioners, and or self funded retirees, I hope so.
There is a requirement from Medicare that if you have been overseas continuously for more than 5 years you have to re-establish residency back in Australia before they will re-instate your Medicare benefits (which are suspended while overseas).
Requirements include a long-term lease in OZ, power and utility bills in your name, proof of cessation of lease, health insurance etc O/S ...

P

pooyai

Well that would be it then, if that is a hard and fast rule, thanks, as I haven't been continuously overseas for 5 years although my combined time in Australia during 5 years would be about 3-4months.

Moo Uaon

if you're lodging a tax return and paying the levy i don't think they care where you go and for how long?
Attached files

Z

Zablive

If you receive a full OZ OAP you do not have to file a tax return nor pay the Medicare levy.

Moo Uaon

not in Oz but italy is being inundated by "new social security claimants"...

MORE than 7,000 migrants have been plucked from the Mediterranean since Friday as an unprecedented wave of people flee conflict and poverty seeking better lives in Europe.
OF those 7,000 EU migration spokeswoman Natasha Bertaud said "over 3,500 are still on board rescue vessels and being taken to Italy and so far, 11 bodies were recovered."
More than 280,000 people entered the European Union illegally last year. Many came from Syria, Eritrea and Somalia and made the perilous sea journey from conflict-torn Libya.

European coast guards have been overwhelmed by the numbers.

The EU's top migration official Dimitris Avramopoulos told EU MPs on Tuesday that the influx "is unfortunately the new norm and we will need to adjust our responses accordingly."

Moo Uaon

Distantpeak;219779 said:
Can't really blame them... why shouldn't they seek? You can't pick where you are born... most aren't as fortunate as us...
sure,but why should the countries tax payers,who'll be supporting them, have no say in it?

if you want civilization as we know it disappear then this is how its done, when will somebody in Italy have the balls to do something?
europe will become the same as africa and the middle east - and then australia will probably follow

Quarky

Administrator
Moo Uaon;219815 said:
sure,but why should the countries tax payers,who'll be supporting them, have no say in it?

if you want civilization as we know it disappear then this is how its done, when will somebody in Italy have the balls to do something?
europe will become the same as africa and the middle east - and then australia will probably follow
Its still self interest. Why can't anyone from anywhere become a tax payer? What say did the Aborigine have when they were invaded? What did their tax payers want? Were the Maori tax payers keen on English settlers? Were the indigenous Africans keen on Dutch and British settlement?

Hey.. I don't disagree that societies need these rules to function... but at least admit it is a morally selfish act... so people should get off their high horses about immigration laws... it's a necessary evil sure... but hardly a moral one...