Our project

D

Deleted member 133(Obes)

Do they sink bores in Thailand - like for watering lawns and gardens etc ? Just wondering coz if you do/can, it'd be well worth it !

Chob

Yes they do .
Theyre everywhere , plus they dig wells ...Im at the bottom of the Phuket Hills and the wells are only about 3 metres down and provide lovely sweet water.
What they really need , nation wide , is rain collection tanks.
Huge amounts of rain run off Phuket , and driving behind a slow moving truck delivering pond water during a torrential downpour during the Wet is quite exasperating.

D

Deleted member 133(Obes)

Maybe a good idea for a business venture Chob - Plastic tank manufacture and marketing........

Chob

It would be , except the mindset is that rooves are dirty , so water coming off them isnt clean.
You only have to look at the ponds to know anything can fall into them and die , but , so far , they prefer them.

I do like the modern long skinny tanks in Aus that rest against a side wall of the house , or alternatively a big concrete tank ( like a pool ) under the house.https://www.google.com/search?q=Mod...d5pG0Y3WM:&usg=__p8CCfRPJb3ALwTye7YmHFP-Lc60=

These are the latest idea and are cool !
https://www.google.com/search?q=Mod...C0jMZymSM:&usg=__p8CCfRPJb3ALwTye7YmHFP-Lc60=

wabbits

The bore was sunk while were not there..Have pump right in the middle of where I proposed the drive to go....
Simple really just move the drive..!

D

Deleted member 133(Obes)

A lot of those slimline tanks don't hold a lot of water.

If you've got the room either concrete or plastic 5000 gallon x 3 for a usual family sized home usually does the trick.
For sure put them (concrete tanks) under something - like a carport/garage/shed if you can, put diverters on the downpipes and it should be as clean as a whistle water.

kaptainrob

Administrator
obes;263051 said:
A lot of those slimline tanks don't hold a lot of water.

If you've got the room either concrete or plastic 5000 gallon x 3 for a usual family sized home usually does the trick.
For sure put them (concrete tanks) under something - like a carport/garage/shed if you can, put diverters on the downpipes and it should be as clean as a whistle water.
Correct on all counts + the slimline tanks are difficult to clean. Before one can save roof water, guttering is usually required. We have a future option of collecting water from a roof valley outflow with storage tank on rear balcony which saves install of guttering.

bacwaan

still lots of those great big earthenware and cement pots by the sides of houses catching roof run off here...with a tap at the bottom what could be more simpler for watering lawns and non-potable usage

kaptainrob

Administrator
bacwaan;263073 said:
still lots of those great big earthenware and cement pots by the sides of houses catching roof run off here...with a tap at the bottom what could be more simpler for watering lawns and non-potable usage
Non-potable in Samui ? The opposite in Isaan.

bacwaan

^ its not used for drinking here...pretty much outdoor usage only...lawns, trees, gardens etc etc

justcruzing1

Jeab' sisters place on Ko Si Chang, had guttering and it was run to only two downpipes,

One was on the corner the bathroom was, it came in thru the wall and emptied into a great big rendered block Pool.

It was about 3m x 1.5m and 1m high??? The rain water was used to fill it up, then it was used for clothes washing, bathing and bum gun/scoop, also the kitchen was next to it and the water was used for washing up etc.

I had a look outside and they had a small section of gutter on ropes that allowed them to change and have the water diverted to a downpipe that was running at 45% down the back wall so they could turn off the flow once the pool got full.

The other downpipe was at the other end of the house and went to huge concrete urns, they were used to get buckets of water gor the vegie patch and garden.

I was puzzled at first but with no town water it was a good cheap way to go. The water looked pure enough to drink to me but they didn't, still bought bottled water for drinking.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Town water in most central or Isaan rural areas comes from shallow dams and is not potable. Rain water is ok, after you scoop the drowned geckos out from the urn 555 I'm sure everyone has seen the stacked concrete pipe tanks? These often employ a sand and gravel filtering medium to remove impurities from rain water.

D

Dazza

Rivo;262983 said:
Hey Dazza its been a bit over 12 months since you moved in, Im curious as to how the house is going, and wether any cracks have appeared in the walls etc ?...........................How does the place cope in the heat, did you end up going having to put more insulation in the roof space ?

Do you need to use air conditioning much ?

Have you or the missus been doing any gardening, if so an update pic would be good.

Thanks again for the thread as its been great to show my missus the stages of building and what to expect. :respect:
Internally have had a few hairline plaster cracks, nothing significant, externally the lower half around 2 sides has significant cracks, but only cosmetic, nothing structural, will post some pics when I get back home, currently in Korea :)

justcruzing1

A lot of the cosmetic cracks are just in the render and come from the render drying out too early.

This can be caused by several things. The mix itself not having enough moisture in it, but mostly it is the blocks sucking the moisture out of the render.
It can be the blocks are hot and the days heat evaporates the water out of the render.

Years ago my mates that had a rendering business used to use a fine sprayer to dampen the wall before applying the render but I think these days they have additives they put in the mix that retains the moisture.

I know they do with concrete for the slabs and that's why they don't wet the slab down and cover it with plastic like in the old days.

I have no idea what they do in LOS but even here we still have houses with cracks in the slabs and the external render, nothing structural, at least not until they are big enough for your thumb to fit in the crack. I had an engineer come and look at a slab of a garage in a house I rented once, it had some cracks you could fit a Biro into, he looked and said it was fine unless it expanded more to the size of my thumb.