Our project

D

Dazza

Bricks going up internal and external

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Dazza

Started to look better once they commenced rendering!

D

Dazza

That's the MIL checking out the progress.

Nomad

Dazza;135300 said:
Bricks going up internal and external

I know nothing about building, other than paying for it, so this may be a naïve comment. There is a sh!t load of mortar between the bricks. Is that ok because it isn't a support wall?

Cippy

That would be my thoughts too Dazza, although, I too don't know a lot about brick laying. Good thing there are not many Earthquakes in LOS!.

Probably saved you (or your builder) some money on bricks. 55

justcruzing1

Basically the layers of bricks under the slab are cosmetic.
The slab is supported by the footings shown in the previous photo's.
It is only to keep out dogs, and vermin from going under the house.
If it was left as shown it could have the mortar washed out, but once it is rendered it will be protected.

D

Dazza

I asked that same question, they said that because the aren't:
a) not load bearing and
b) the bricks are very porous and would "soak" up a fair bit of the mortar.

Like you two, I know bugger all about brick laying...5555
However, in the last pic, that is reinforced concrete on the ground that the bricks are sitting on...if it's right or not I really don't know, got a 10 yr warranty on the build if something happens though :)

D

Dazza

Prior to rendering, still alot of brick works to be done when this photo was taken.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Mortar is strongest part of the wall which is only there to hold up the render 555 Try cleaning the mortar off a discarded brick.

D

Dazza

originally it was 210m² but we made a couple of adjustments, I reckon it ended up at 225m²

D

Dazza

Needed water, struck pay dirt 27 mtrs down and threw in a submersible pump to get it into a smallish 2000 ltr tank

D

Dazza

Water quality was surprisingly very good, had it analysed at a local water filter company in Udon. The submersible puts out a really good volume, I reckon it can fill the tank in about 20 mins or so.