Our Ride From CM to Doi Mae Salong

Y

Yes

As usual...great photos Rivo..i was interested in Wat Tha Ton pics.
I have been through Doi Mae salong 3 times but never herd of the wat ..
Good view from up there.

Moo Uaon

^ Thaton and the Wat are about 45k's south of Doi Mae Salong on the main road from Fang.

Rivo;129149 said:
Our barmaid was a happy girl with a beautiful smile and told us their new bar had been open only for 3 months, I hope business goes well for them.
The lovely Banana.

While you 2 were gone 2 farang girls came back to our guesthouse with a rental Honda Click and had it parked while the owner of the guesthouse was talking and checking it out he must have twisted the throttle and the engine was running and it took off and went down with him holding the handle bar with one hand and revving at full revs.Somehow they got it sorted and engine turned off,Chinese owner thought it was hilarious 555 that was about 30mins before the farang dropped the Forza...quite some entertainment.

Y

Yes

^ i googled this on maps and can see where it is....
When I come down from DMS I always end up on the 1130 not the 1089.
I seem to keep missing it.
Better luck next time maybe...my road atlas does not correspond to google maps or the actual roads.

Rivo

Back on the bikes and we leave Tha Ton and head south to Sop Kha where we change direction and head to the steepest road in Thailand, that being Doi Ang Khang which is on the border of Mynamar. Moo and Nora had added this route into our ride home and made a loop out of it following the border south on the 1178 bringing us straight into Chiang Dao which was our destination for lunch, so no back tracking from here. To get the name the steepest road in Thailand its obviously great on a bike, looking back on the road from the border army camp its a great looking road, looks like its made for us bike riders. The worst thing to look out for on the roads are bloody rocks, when the thai's stop on the hills they must put a rock under the wheel, because thai cars dont have handbrakes ?, when you leave just leave the rock on the road 555

At the peak of Doi Ang Khang is an army camp, im intriuged at the Hummer looking Vehicles, they have signs up No Entry Highly Restricted Area, so Nora says ask if you can take a photo 555 So I walk into the highly sensitive area and wai one of the army personell and point to my camera and there Hummer, I ask can take picture and he points thumbs up, so I enter the restricted area to have a good look at the vehicles, the hummers are converted Toyota Vigo's and look the part.

Rivo

Back to the Army checkpont where one of the guards posed for a pic with young Rivo, from here we take a different road heading south and follow the border south, the scenery is beautiful and lots of places to stop for a pic of the valleys and mountains, the weather a perfect 20/25 degrees with no wind, we even came across a few cows out on tour, they were more interest in eating than meeting us though 555

Rivo

We came across a market/store on the side of the road, the Thai's are really into the 21st century as this must be a self service shop, no sign of anyone for the 20 mins or so we were there, they had a lot of different products for sale including wine...........................

Rivo

The mountains were starting to disappear from here, we had weaved a way in and out of mountains all morning, hairpins back in first gear and then a few straights thrown in up hills and down hills, really every type of road riding you could imagine, our gearboxs were getting a real workout, Moo and Pete had ridden ahead from here as Rivo kept stopping to get his camera out 555 and Nora kept me company. Half an hour or so down the road we see Moo and Pete stopped in a small village, they had atracted the attention of the local kids who like the big bikes and all wanted to have a close look. One little cutie kept smiling all the time, point the camera at her and she runs off behind a fence, I ended up with a pic in the end.............................

Rivo

After leaving the village with the kids its straight through to Chaig Dao for lunch, Moo had been telling us about the burgers there, the famous Chiang Dao Saloon has the best burgers in Northern Thailand were Moo's claim, Rivo having eaten a burger or two was looking forward to the claim 555

Moo & Pete were going quicker than Rivo and Nora because Rivo wants to stop and take more pictures 555 This time of the market gardens we were riding past, just acres and acres of vegetables as far as the eye could see, nice green background as we ride on through. I did stop and take a few piccies.........................

Rivo

Must of been around 2pm and its time for lunch at the Chiang Dao Saloon, the Saloon is run by a Canadian named Kurt, he was into his bikes and once we got talking he was showing us pictures of his bikes both here and back in Canada. He made us laugh when we were ordering lunch as he is sitting there with a giant steinglass of beer, looked like about 2 litres, it was huge, Moo asked why the big beer, Kurt replies, Ive cut back to only 2 or 3 beers in the afternoons 555

And Moo was right, the Burgers were the best, home made meat patties were the secret I think and the homemade chips were great also.

Moo Uaon

The rock behind the wheel thing is a bit of mystery as a firmly applied hand brake in Park in an auto or 1st gear in a manual if it's really steep has always worked for me.
I've seen vehicles parked on the flat with a rock applied so it's some sort of silly superstition or the like. similar to turning off the phone when there's lightning around so that it doesn't attract a strike..

Kurt's burgers are great,better than any here in CM and almost worth the 80k trip to get one :)

There's some lovely scenery around that area,Doi Chiang Dao...

Rivo

After our late lunch it was back on the bikes and head back to Chiang Mai via Mae Taeng and then Mae Rim where the dual carriage way is fast with lots of sweeping bends, this had Moo & Pete thinking they were in a motorbike GP and they were gone into the distance, enjoying it immensley, until we came across a police radar, which slowed them down, this is only the second radar I have ever seen in Thailand, Moo & Pete just getting a finger waved at them by the coppers, back home you would get a huge fine and maybe your bike taken off you for a week 555 We waved goodbye to Moo & Nora as they both turned off into there housing estates as they live north of Chiang Mai, for Rivo & Pete it was continue back to our hotel in Chiang Mai.

Both Pete (Even being sick) & Rivo enjoyed our couple of days riding and would like to thank our two local guides Moo and Norabunga whose knowledge of country thailand is incredible and they are great blokes to spend some time with, we had a ball.

Norabunga

Great trip report Rivo and great pics. It's good to have an 'official' photographer along cos I never remember to take any pics.

Let's do it again sometime.

Moo, the problem with going for a Kurt burger is he often closes up shop and nicks off (Just like sweet mae salong.) Probably best to call first and make sure he's there. My recent strike rate with those 2 places is 1 /4.

Y

Yes

^I like the shot you posted 5 posts ago,really good colors and i like the sharp edges to the hills.