Overview of Thailand Visas

Z

Zablive

Cippy;287067 said:
Last time I tried to just cross the boarder and come back, just after Prayuth took power, I was almost refused access into the country.

I was in a very remote friendship bridge in Tha-Li with nothing for 100s of kms beyond it. Luang Prabang was the closest city, 400 Kms away. No public transport, not even a town on the other side. They didn't really care. If I didn't have a wife and an infant waiting and maybe the fact that the customs agent had his young daughter right there, I would have been screwed. I just made the trek to Vientiane after that, not worth the risk.
Not all crossings are "international border points".

Quarky

Administrator
Hatari;287124 said:
Some good info in these recent posts for a travel, tourism, visa thread
Pity it is locked away at our secure level and hidden inside an army thread...
Think the content would be of interest to more forum readers, if it was accessible?
Yes, makes sense...

Mr. Smiley

Ian Forbes;287092 said:
When I was in Thailand recently I thought some things were improving. I got a 2 year drivers license instead of having to renew it every year... which takes almost a full week if you are a foreigner. I had HEARD that there were changes in the visa process but I hadn't researched it at the time. I thought I could get a 90 day tourist visa and replace it with another 90 days when it expired. That is not the case. It is going to be a lot more involved with a lot more travel and unnecessary expense to get to the same point as before.
Don't you qualify for the Tourist M visa? Pretty much guarantees unlimited entries into Thailand for a period of 6 months. Only thing is you can't stay in country for more than 60 days continuously. If anything it's gotten easier for you.

Cippy

Zablive;287146 said:
Not all crossings are "international border points".
But this one was. I used for that purpose a few times. Laos working in Loei did the same, only reversed.

I would take a Tuk tuk across, get a Laos visa on the other side and come back straight back for my thirty days.

This particular bridge was the fanciest I have ever seen with a huge five or six story tall and about 150 meter wide structure over it and huge X-ray machine big enough to drive a tractor trailer in. A Major trucking route I think. Probably a lot of smuggling going on.

Ian Forbes

Mr. Smiley;287215 said:
Don't you qualify for the Tourist M visa? Pretty much guarantees unlimited entries into Thailand for a period of 6 months. Only thing is you can't stay in country for more than 60 days continuously. If anything it's gotten easier for you.
This is the new form I just received. The one I got from them when I returned from Thailand in March was entirely different... and that was the one I was worried about. This one is still a lot more expensive ($200 as compared to $120) but reasonable. It also means I have to deposit $8100 in cash in my Thai bank account instead of just $5000 like I usually do. I never really know how much I'm going to spend until I'm settled and the ladies start coming around.

Tourist Visa

On 28 July 2015, the Thai Government launched the “Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV)” scheme. This new scheme, published in the Royal Gazette on 14 September 2015, is an addition to the already existing sixty (60) days tourist visa, and will be effective from 13 November 2015 onwards.
The METV is available to tourists of all nationalities. Applicants can apply for the METV at all Thai Embassies, Consulates-General as well as Honorary Consulates worldwide. The application fee is 200 CAD, with a visa validity of six (6) months and the duration of stay of up to sixty (60) days per visit.

The METV will, in effect, replace the tourist visas previously issued for double and triple entries which will be no longer available by November 13, 2015.

◾To travel for tourism (Pleasure) purposes only (Category “TR”)
◾To travel for tourism (Medical Treatment) purposes only (Category “MT”)
◾This type of visa will be issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom of Thailand for tourism purposes for a stay longer than 30 days.

1. Requirements:

Single-Entry:
◾Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months. The passport must be valid for travelling to Thailand.
◾Visa application form completely filled out for each passport
◾One recent official passport photograph of the applicant taken within six months of application.
◾A minimum of 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family
◾An airline ticket or an official itinerary(must be in English version)

Multiple-Entry (METV):
◾Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months. The passport must be valid for travelling to Thailand.
◾Visa application form completely filled out for each passport
◾One recent official passport photograph of the applicant taken within six months of application
◾An applicant has a permanent resident/a permit of stay in Canada
◾A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than 200,000 (Baht) per person or 400,000 (Baht) per family
◾A copy of round-trip ticket or itinerary for at least the first trip
◾A copy of hotel reservation for at least the first trip

Mr. Smiley

Do you really need to deposit money in a Thai account? I think you just need to show a Canadian Bank statement to prove that you have the necessary funds. Still the METV should make it easier for you to get around and come and go as you please (for six months). No need for extensions or to leave the country other than the 60 days continuous rule.

Stillearly

Thailand to launch new 10 year multiple entry visa for over 50s
June 17, 2017

Foreigners in Thailand will soon be able to apply for a 10 year visa.

First proposed in November 2016 as a way to promote Thailand as a medical and wellness hub, Thaivisa understands the 10 year visa was this week formally approved by the Prime Minister.

The new Non O X visa will be available to anyone who is over 50 years of age and from one of the 14 countries listed below.

Applicants will need to have a minimum 3 million baht in a Thai bank account, or a combination of 1.8 million baht in the bank and income not less than 1.2 million baht.

The 3 million baht must be kept in the bank as a deposit for a period of one year but can be reduced to 1.5 million under certain conditions.

Criminal background checks are required on all applicants, who must also have valid medical insurance from a Thai insurance company for the duration of the visa.

Foreigners are not permitted to work while staying in Thailand on the visa and 90 day reports are still required.

The visa will cost 10,000 baht and will be valid for 5 years, before being renewed for a further 5 years.

The new Non O X visa will be available from 11 August, with an official announcement expected imminently.

The Non O X visa does not replace the current annual retirement extension.

Thailand 10 year visa in brief:

– Over 50s only
– 14 nationalities eligible: Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada and United States of America.
– Minimum 3 million baht in Thai bank account
– or combination of 1. 8 million in the bank and income not less than 1.2 million
– 3 million baht must be kept in account for one year, can be reduced to 1.5 million under certain conditions
– Criminal background check from country you hold passport
– Health insurance provided by Thai company, Outpatient coverage minimum 40,000 baht, Inpatient coverage not less than 100,000 thousand baht
– Not permitted to work
– Unlimited entry valid for 5 years
– Fee is 10,000 baht
– 90 day report still required.
– Visa issued in two 5 year periods

Z

Zablive

Stillearly;330997 said:

Thailand to launch new 10 year multiple entry visa for over 50s
June 17, 2017

Foreigners in Thailand will soon be able to apply for a 10 year visa.

First proposed in November 2016 as a way to promote Thailand as a medical and wellness hub, Thaivisa understands the 10 year visa was this week formally approved by the Prime Minister.

The new Non O X visa will be available to anyone who is over 50 years of age and from one of the 14 countries listed below.

Applicants will need to have a minimum 3 million baht in a Thai bank account, or a combination of 1.8 million baht in the bank and income not less than 1.2 million baht.

The 3 million baht must be kept in the bank as a deposit for a period of one year but can be reduced to 1.5 million under certain conditions.

Criminal background checks are required on all applicants, who must also have valid medical insurance from a Thai insurance company for the duration of the visa.

Foreigners are not permitted to work while staying in Thailand on the visa and 90 day reports are still required.

The visa will cost 10,000 baht and will be valid for 5 years, before being renewed for a further 5 years.

The new Non O X visa will be available from 11 August, with an official announcement expected imminently.

The Non O X visa does not replace the current annual retirement extension.

Thailand 10 year visa in brief:

– Over 50s only
– 14 nationalities eligible: Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada and United States of America.
– Minimum 3 million baht in Thai bank account
– or combination of 1. 8 million in the bank and income not less than 1.2 million
– 3 million baht must be kept in account for one year, can be reduced to 1.5 million under certain conditions
– Criminal background check from country you hold passport
– Health insurance provided by Thai company, Outpatient coverage minimum 40,000 baht, Inpatient coverage not less than 100,000 thousand baht
– Not permitted to work
– Unlimited entry valid for 5 years
– Fee is 10,000 baht
– 90 day report still required.
– Visa issued in two 5 year periods

AFAIK this is still a "proposal" with no signs of implementation so far.
The health insurance covers were far more in the original proposal but still are a barrier for those over 60.
If you're contemplating this if under 60 take out the insurance now and keep it current.