Ozzi bbq

wabbits

Just going through Homepro first time I have seen anywhere in LOS that sells what I would call a BBQ.....Prices are up there so makes me think not a big demand.
There is a big expat population in LOS I know not from Oz but we are not the only BBQing nation....
What do you do for a BBQ in LOS?
Or is it no longer something that is needed of relevent?
27990.bt at Homepro

P

PatongBeachBoy

Was told we were having BBQ prawns in Issan and the first thing that popped into my mind was a hot plate with some charcoal resting between a couple of bricks....
Well the charcoal was there and that was about it... the prawns were placed on a mesh and cooked directly over the charcoal...

Moo Uaon

wabbits;57177 said:
There is a big expat population in LOS I know not from Oz but we are not the only BBQing nation....
What do you do for a BBQ in LOS?
I either go to to an Isaan style bbq place,Thais love them,or buy bbq fish,chicken or pork off street stalls and take it home.

BBQ`s are very expensive here.

Barbecues Thailand - The Largest Barbecue Retailer Thai & Australian Managed Immediate Delivery Countrywide

BBQ Thailand. Quik-Fire, the Barbecue of all Gas Barbecues in stainless steel.

wabbits

BBQ galore who would have thought.
They should be cheap after all they are mostly made in China..

Home made might be the go a couple of decent ring burners under a big 10mil sheet of steel.

kaptainrob

Administrator
wabbits;57192 said:
BBQ galore who would have thought.
They should be cheap after all they are mostly made in China..

Home made might be the go a couple of decent ring burners under a big 10mil sheet of steel.
^That's an excellent way to go, brickwork sides and one gas ring would be enough. I'll do similar eventually, as well as building in our 900 Bt SS charcoal bbq. It's a beauty for the price, good for 4 persons. More than double the satay cooker size (below) and with 2 racks.

A large sack of charcoal is only 160 Bt and will probably last a year. The resinous wood pulp fire lighter stuff ~ 30 Bt and no paper/kindling needed.

We also use a clay-pot bbq, just for the 2 of us. It cost 210 Bt. :)

Moo Uaon

Can`t beat this style....load up the family and hangers on and head to the local,aroi mak mak :)

wabbits

^^^Love the stainless one Rob looks a handy unit.
Sort of thing I could see us using a lot.

kaptainrob

Administrator
wabbits;57200 said:
^^^Love the stainless one Rob looks a handy unit.
Sort of thing I could see us using a lot.
Nothing wrong with Lew's Isaan bbq ... 120 Bt and no washing up! :D

There's a lot of 'home-made' 1/2 20L steel drum type bbq's for sale on roadsides, but they rust out in no time and soon look awful, especially if stored away between visits.

Norabunga

Moo Uaon;57190 said:
I either go to to an Isaan style bbq place,Thais love them,or buy bbq fish,chicken or pork off street stalls and take it home.

BBQ`s are very expensive here.

Barbecues Thailand - The Largest Barbecue Retailer Thai & Australian Managed Immediate Delivery Countrywide

BBQ Thailand. Quik-Fire, the Barbecue of all Gas Barbecues in stainless steel.
The guy I bought my Versys from owns the BBQ galore store in CM. I've seen some decent BBQs in the Rimping across the river from DUP too. Dunno why they're so expensive. Probably for the same reason anything else that's imported is expensive.

wabbits

Moo Uaon;57199 said:
Can`t beat this style....load up the family and hangers on and head to the local,aroi mak mak :)

Used to go to a place in Patts 120bt all you can eat.
and we have one in village gets a workout.
Have one of these here but MW would rather have what you got.

Moo Uaon

When it comes to BBQ`s here in LOS you can forget about steak,it`s seriously hard to find a decent cut especially out in the boonies and the TG`s don`t go for it.
I never eat steak here but i especially like the pork,eat a lot of it.

So you`ll mainly be cooking chicken,pork and fish. The Thai`s do that on their little pot type cookers or what KR has.

Z

Zablive

My 2 satangs worth - if you are cooking on a plate you are frying.
BBQs should have an open grill.
Even the Isaan hubcaps have holes in them - I'm just not too sure about cooking on highly heated aluminium ...

wabbits

Zablive;57258 said:
My 2 satangs worth - if you are cooking on a plate you are frying.
BBQs should have an open grill.
Even the Isaan hubcaps have holes in them - I'm just not too sure about cooking on highly heated aluminium ...
Had this conversation with MW about my thoughts on aluminium as she eyes off one of those big steamers in the Asian markets...She got a nice stainless one.555555

crispy

Charcoal and a rack sounds good to me ,when you rotisery a pig or lamb you dont have all these fancy contraptions just charcoal and it cooks in its own juices ,the stainless box looks okay but for me the 44 gal drum is good ,drill a hole in the bottom for water if it gets in there ,cheap as easy to replace and if you are concerened about the bottom burning out raise the charcoal on a form of rack ,bet it would taste better than one of those fancy ones .

Z

Zablive

crispy;57403 said:
Charcoal and a rack sounds good to me ,when you rotisery a pig or lamb you dont have all these fancy contraptions just charcoal and it cooks in its own juices ,the stainless box looks okay but for me the 44 gal drum is good ,drill a hole in the bottom for water if it gets in there ,cheap as easy to replace and if you are concerened about the bottom burning out raise the charcoal on a form of rack ,bet it would taste better than one of those fancy ones .
Absolutely - seen many a half drum BBQ last many years here using your tips.
With a rack for the charcoal/heat beads /briquettes you can have holes to allow airflow under the fire and easy cleaning out of ash after.

C

Changone

"Yair...Dunno why there is even a Barbecues Galore franchise with shops everywhere when all you's need is half a 44 gallon drum, just cut it down wiv yer angle grinder in the shed mate...yer can get one home in the boot of yer P76. Chainsaw down a few (Local council green initiative sponsored) trees and make yer own charcoal, might even win a meat tray in the pub chook raffle..."

wabbits

^^First time I have seen P76 in a sentence for awhile.55555

For me a big flat plate for my steaks be it Moo of beef will be the go.
Dave up near the Mekong has told be you can get good beef steak and he used to have an Ozzi BBQ night every Friday and all the local expats would gather.
He said as good as Oz but this is a he said.
We have bought large lumps of beef at the local market a little tough but prepped right can still be a good meal.