patong changes

Quarky

When I first went to Patong in 2006... The Nightstation was buzzing. Was my fav area. But by 2009 it was almost completely dead. Tiger pre-fire even seemed quite quiet compared to earlier years.

The soi that MTB was on was like a ghost soi compared to a few years earlier... and this was high season. I remember the girls were complaining even in 2009 that Patong was dead... "where customers go?" ...maybe they have been saying the same thing for the last 20 years and I only notice it after a few trips... 55

Notorius is probably right... maybe it was just different.. and not quieter like it seemed. But seeing Nightstation going from a place full of dozens of busy bars to just a handful seemed to be a microcosm of Patong at the time...

Notorius

bacwaan;397324 said:
what's that saying..."familiarity breeds contempt"...yeah, that's it...555
Not really true. Well u are familiar with me when we hang out in Sami. I hope it’s not contempt 555

bacwaan

Notorius;397360 said:
Not really true. Well u are familiar with me when we hang out in Sami. I hope it’s not contempt 555
well familiarity can breed contempt...but it can also cut both ways...in your case apropos is more the "warts and all" one...555

Ian Forbes

PGC;397231 said:
For me, Patong has improved. Bars are better. There are more of them. More live music. Sure it's more expensive, but that's mainly due to a falling currency. I have a great time whenever I go, and I find new places to go to everytime I go.

There is safety and a warmth with familiarity, and changes can ruin it. But there are loads of new things to try, with enough of the old favourites like Suzy Wongs to keep most people happy.

Travel with a newbie and you will soon see that Patong still holds a spell over people.

I think a lot of US change with the years. I know I have. I no longer get as thrilled about anything as I once did. I seldom go to bars anymore, where I once went almost every night to play pool and flirt with a few ladies. Today was an oddity for me in that I went to a coffee festival and learned some stuff I didn't have a clue about. I learned more about coffee in 4 hours than I did in my entire life previously, and I'm not really into coffee. I think it was because it was entirely new to me.

Notorius

Sorry I meant some change between what’s in the video I.e. 1988 and now (not in video). I’d never seen what it looked like in the 80s or indeed up to late 90s. Got a shock how rural even Bangla was.

Quarky

Notorius;397932 said:
Sorry I meant some change between what’s in the video I.e. 1988 and now (not in video). I’d never seen what it looked like in the 80s or indeed up to late 90s. Got a shock how rural even Bangla was.
You seen pics of Pattaya? Not that long ago was just sleepy farmland. When I go back to where I grew up I hardly recognise the place... (I didn't grow up in Pattaya... 55)

Notorius

Quarky;397935 said:
You seen pics of Pattaya? Not that long ago was just sleepy farmland. When I go back to where I grew up I hardly recognise the place... (I didn't grow up in Pattaya... 55)
Was in pattaya in 2002. It’s amazing how quickly things changed. Our financial district was a barren wasteland in 1988 with nothing but warehouses. 30 years later it’s one of the most vibrant business districts in the woeld

Quarky

But what I actually like is finding places that haven't changed at all in 30 or 40 years. You can still feel a connection to the Earth then. I went back to university and ran the same running routes (through the woods) I ran in the 1980s... and because nothing had changed... I immediately felt re-connected to it... I could feel the same emotions returning... I was a student again... 55

Notorius

Quarky;397938 said:
But what I actually like is finding places that haven't changed at all in 30 or 40 years. You can still feel a connection to the Earth then. I went back to university and ran the same running routes (through the woods) I ran in the 1980s... and because nothing had changed... I immediately felt re-connected to it... I could feel the same emotions returning... I was a student again... 55
When I was in South America I did a homestay with a family in an island on lake titcaca.good fun but tourist trap. But when I was just moving from place to place, hitchhiking I ended in this two horse town. Literally two horses. Place was untouched. No WiFi, no internet. Barely electricity. Everyone came out to see the gringo. Stayed for a week with a family who couldn’t do more for me. Didn’t know me from Adam. But was amazing. Gave them a 150 bucks at the end and the feeling of genuine gratitude rather than the put on homestay was palpable.

Stayed in the jungle with FARC. Now that was an experience. Fcucking scary but life changing. The difference between Gaza Strip and neighboring Israel is both shocking and heartbreaking. On one side water shortages. On the other side swimming pools and manicured lawns, but I’m not opening up that old wound 5555

Notorius

Quarky;397943 said:
Oh that wound needs opening up...
Oh fcuk it doesn’t. People who agree don’t need convincing and people who don’t will never be convinced. Was chatting to a quite a cool Israeli girl and she compared the IDF with the IRA calling them freedom fighters. She said her hero was. He Guevara as he fought for people to be on their land. I was really biting my lip as she was hot. So if I didn’t open the wound then, I certainly am not doing it here.

I was thinking of telling her that my grandad died in Auschwitz and just as she would tenderly touch my cheek I’d tell her the clumsy fcuker fell out of the gun tower. But I didn’t. 555

Quarky

Notorius;397944 said:
Oh fcuk it doesn’t. People who agree don’t need convincing and people who don’t will never be convinced. Was chatting to a quite a cool Israeli girl and she compared the IDF with the IRA calling them freedom fighters. She said her hero was. He Guevara as he fought for people to be on their land. I was really biting my lip as she was hot. So if I didn’t open the wound then, I certainly am not doing it here.

I was thinking of telling her that my grandad died in Auschwitz and just as she would tenderly touch my cheek I’d tell her the clumsy fcuker fell out of the gun tower. But I didn’t. 555
But surely discussion opens people's eyes more to what is going on? If no one talks about it... how do we learn? I'd love to know more. Especially from someone who has been to both sides...

Notorius

Quarky;397946 said:
But surely discussion opens people's eyes more to what is going on? If no one talks about it... how do we learn? I'd love to know more. Especially from someone who has been to both sides...
And there is nothing I’d like to do more but I have learned from trying that it always ends up as an argument. It is a polarizing issue and if it was just about experiences without the politics then it would be very interesting. However tonseparate then is impossible especially when I’m talking about my experiences. Better to just park it. It’s similar to another thread I just left where it was discussing the Easter Lilly and how it’s banned by the public sector in Northern Ireland where the Poppy wasn’t. Now I am pro peoplendoing what they want and I didn’t want any discussion bout the poppy which I admire and have no issue with but people just couldn’t discuss why it seemed hypocritical that one was allowed and one banned. It was straight to terrorism which made discussing pointless.

Ian Forbes

Unfortunately, too many people can not discuss a controversial topic without getting hostile. I followed the history of the Jews being "given" the land now called Israel, quite closely. I was alive when it happened and old enough to have some understanding. There is always two sides to just about everything. I already mentioned about two Canadian friends who traveled through what was once Yugoslavia, and what happened 30 years later. I have two very good friends in Canada, one of whom is a Serbian and another who is a Croatian. They both have valid stories about what happened.

I think it would be similar to trying to explain what happened in Ireland not too many years ago. There was a great movie about it with Brad Pitt playing the part of a terrorist, and Harrison Ford playing the part of a small town, USA policeman. I can't remember the name of the movie.

Notorius

Ian Forbes;398003 said:
Unfortunately, too many people can not discuss a controversial topic without getting hostile. I followed the history of the Jews being "given" the land now called Israel, quite closely. I was alive when it happened and old enough to have some understanding. There is always two sides to just about everything. I already mentioned about two Canadian friends who traveled through what was once Yugoslavia, and what happened 30 years later. I have two very good friends in Canada, one of whom is a Serbian and another who is a Croatian. They both have valid stories about what happened.

I think it would be similar to trying to explain what happened in Ireland not too many years ago. There was a great movie about it with Brad Pitt playing the part of a terrorist, and Harrison Ford playing the part of a small town, USA policeman. I can't remember the name of the movie.
Devils own. Brad’s Pitts accent was...ahem...interesting. Enjoyable.

Notorius

I get what you are saying but trying to explain. Everyone’s opinion should count. But it is very difficult to argue about an issue that is so deep rooted in someone’s psyche. But bygones are bygones. Unfortunately Brexit is causing issues that we hoped were put to bed.

The issue with Palestine is its still ongoing. The border issue can be easily put to bed but the issue is how the borders are getting smaller and smaller. As I said it cannot be discussed without it going toxic and I’m in a good mood today.

Ian Forbes

Notorius;398005 said:
Devils own. Brad’s Pitts accent was...ahem...interesting. Enjoyable.
Thanks for remembering the name of that movie... "Devil's Own"
It was a sad but exciting movie, and at the same time where you are "pulling" for the "terrorist", despite his valid reasons.