Philippines Info

OZZYGUY

justcruzing1;425304 said:
Hey Ash, how did you go with their wanting level 2 sailing classification?
I believe in Greece etc you have to have done and passed a course, hold a license, to be able to rent. Not so in Aust.
Also were they rigged for single handed?
I did a 3 day course in Greece with Sunsail. That gives me qualification to rent any of the fleet.

I had auto pilot made it easy to sail by yourself although my wife also did the training.

We stated in Lefkas and had a 45ft mono hull, we were the second to ever rent to boat, she was new.

justcruzing1

OZZYGUY;425644 said:
I did a 3 day course in Greece with Sunsail. That gives me qualification to rent any of the fleet.

I had auto pilot made it easy to sail by yourself although my wife also did the training.

We stated in Lefkas and had a 45ft mono hull, we were the second to ever rent to boat, she was new.
Thanks Ash, do you remember what the course cost?

Had you had any sailing experience before it?

I have sailed a fair bit, including a 38ft mono in Sydney Harbour once a week for a couple of years Would i need to do the 3 days?

OZZYGUY

I had crewed on a 50ft race boat a bit. Not really a lot of experience.

I cannot remember the cost was in 2008. Think they have a office on Hamilton island may be able to call them.

Interested to know how you go.

justcruzing1

OZZYGUY;425655 said:
I had crewed on a 50ft race boat a bit. Not really a lot of experience.

I cannot remember the cost was in 2008. Think they have a office on Hamilton island may be able to call them.

Interested to know how you go.
55555 i won't be letting you know, not going to Hamilton Island at this stage, nor Greece etc.

I was just interested to know as I had heard things, one of my nephew's went bare boating in the Mediterranean and i thought he did a course in 1 day. He, like me, has sailed when a youngster in skiffs etc.

When I sailed in the Whitsundays it was with Whitsundays rent a yacht. No course needed just spent 20 mins proving you knew what you were doing.

It was funny because they make out they are showing you the yacht but all the time they are looking at how you react to terms they use.
Like "Out-haul" Boom Vang" etc.

MarcTwoSix

supersub;425246 said:
Have you been anywhere else in Malaysia aside from KL? I don't think anyone goes to Malaysia for KL specifically tbh. KL comes across as any other Asian city tbh. Good food, lots of noisy traffic, heat and humidity. Not as much to do in the way of activities as say Bangkok but I'll only be there for a few days either side of the main part of my trip.

I'm going for the islands and the beach scene. They have some of the clearest waters I've seen next to the Philippines.

How far from KL?

I may need to go to Malaysia next month for Nut's tournament

Maybe hit those up if not too far

Although I will be on a beach holiday next week
So if too much of a hassle will just stay in cities

supersub

MarcTwoSix;425739 said:
How far from KL?

I may need to go to Malaysia next month for Nut's tournament

Maybe hit those up if not too far

Although I will be on a beach holiday next week

So if too much of a hassle will just stay in cities

Very close - around 30-40mins. It's heavy rain on the East coast peninsula at this time of year though so you probably won't even be able to get onto the islands.

Langkawi (on the other side) is good this time of year. Around an hour by plane from KL.

OZZYGUY

supersub;425751 said:
Very close - around 30-40mins. It's heavy rain on the East coast peninsula at this time of year though so you probably won't even be able to get onto the islands.

Langkawi (on the other side) is good this time of year. Around an hour by plane from KL.
Will you be doing a Mayla report?

supersub

OZZYGUY;425752 said:
Will you be doing a Mayla report?

Yeah sure. Probably more of a picture report and less wordy.

I'm hoping to get myself a drone before then so looking forward to taking that out.

MarcTwoSix

supersub;425751 said:

Yeah I looked at Langkwai
Couldn't get a good idea of videos

But seems a decent party scene but couldn't tell how nice the water is

Ian Forbes

supersub;425754 said:
Yeah sure. Probably more of a picture report and less wordy.

I'm hoping to get myself a drone before then so looking forward to taking that out.
A drone adds a huge amount in interest, and especially in video presentation. It gives a perspective you can't get any other way other than hiring a helicopter.

bacwaan

supersub;425751 said:

East Coast, Redang and Perhensions Resorts reopen in March as monsoon season finishes later this month...iirc Paulie is thinking of a March visit so should be OK unless he is unlucky..

bacwaan

To Paulie.....langkawi sea quality is mostly shite and dirty....its an interesting enough island if you include Penang as a part of your visit

Perhensions and islands off the east coast are stunning...beautiful crystal clear water out there....but being mostly moslem its not exactly a party scene going on..

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;425771 said:
To Paulie.....langkawi sea quality is mostly shite and dirty....its an interesting enough island if you include Penang as a part of your visit

Perhensions and islands off the east coast are stunning...beautiful crystal clear water out there....but being mostly moslem its not exactly a party scene going on..
But I can still drink at resorts and have some bars???

Don't need a wild scene

If I need to go to KL it would just be an add-on so I don't have to leave the country

It would be later half of March if I go
So the east side would be ok?

If the tournament is early March I can't go because my #1 guy is in Hawaii

Nautilus

MarcTwoSix;425773 said:
But I can still drink at resorts and have some bars???

Don't need a wild scene

If I need to go to KL it would just be an add-on so I don't have to leave the country

It would be later half of March if I go
So the east side would be ok?

If the tournament is early March I can't go because my #1 guy is in Hawaii
Yes you can drink at the hotels, but mostly food there is not that good anyway. Most just go for the diving, beach and short break.

Langkawi is ok for relaxing, nothing much to do. Most of the sights are nothing special. Although there are some stunning hotels on the island. Ooh and being duty free, the beer is cheap.

supersub

Ian Forbes;425764 said:
A drone adds a huge amount in interest, and especially in video presentation. It gives a perspective you can't get any other way other than hiring a helicopter.

I thought my phone will keep me satisfied but recently when I went to Palawan I visited all these cool islands and sand bars which unless you get a drone they all look the same.

I'm either going to go for a DJI Mavic Mini or a Parrot Anafi. I believe both are under 250g too which hopefully will help with regulations. Are those any good? I'm only after some still images and maybe the odd video.

MarcTwoSix;425760 said:
Yeah I looked at Langkwai
Couldn't get a good idea of videos

But seems a decent party scene but couldn't tell how nice the water is

I don't think it's as nice as the islands on the east coast tbh. I have family from Malaysia and they are always talking up Langkawi but the beach's look a bit shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supersub

bacwaan;425770 said:
East Coast, Redang and Perhensions Resorts reopen in March as monsoon season finishes later this month...iirc Paulie is thinking of a March visit so should be OK unless he is unlucky..

Ah yes your right March is ok. These days I find the weather everywhere is changing so the shoulder seasons are more unpredictable. Should be ok though fingers crossed.

OZZYGUY

supersub;425777 said:
I have family from Malaysia and they are always talking up Langkawi but the beach's look a bit shit.
Thats a bit like Filipinos talking up Cebu beaches, not too many good ones IMO but they like them.

Nautilus

supersub;425777 said:
I thought my phone will keep me satisfied but recently when I went to Palawan I visited all these cool islands and sand bars which unless you get a drone they all look the same.

I'm either going to go for a DJI Mavic Mini or a Parrot Anafi. I believe both are under 250g too which hopefully will help with regulations. Are those any good? I'm only after some still images and maybe the odd video.

I don't think it's as nice as the islands on the east coast tbh. I have family from Malaysia and they are always talking up Langkawi but the beach's look a bit shit.

Organised a company trip to Langkawi last year in August, we stayed at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort at Cenang beach...the beach looked ok, but we spent most of time in the pool.

Not sure about other areas of the Island.

Ian Forbes

I think both are adequate for what most of us do. Very few people need professional drones. DJI make good products. My DJI is too big for foreign travel and I've thought about getting something smaller.

MarcTwoSix

supersub;425777 said:

I just think Asians don't really care as much about crystal clear blue waters like we do