Phnom Penh for 1 night

MarcTwoSix

Looks like I may be making a surprise trip to Thailand next month

I planned on going to Cuba but Ao has a lot going on right now so thought it would be nice to head there(with an absolute grueling trip from Tampa FL)
Her mom is 80% blind in one eye and 20% in the other with cataracts so she is having surgery
It's so busy with my stepson deciding on University

But I didn't want to just go to Thailand so trying to squeeze Siem Reap in.....but the best flight is to fly to PP, then I'd fly up to SR the next day

I am not looking for mongering but wouldn't mind being around a bar area

I liked the Riverside before but what areas are good?

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;393534 said:
Looks like I may be making a surprise trip to Thailand next month
Latest odds:

Actually goes to Thailand next month: 100/1
Still goes to Cuba: 10/1
Instead goes to Cabo with Dupes: 3/1
Stays home and Quincy goes on holiday instead: evens.

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;393576 said:
Latest odds:

Actually goes to Thailand next month: 100/1
Still goes to Cuba: 10/1
Instead goes to Cabo with Dupes: 3/1
Stays home and Quincy goes on holiday instead: evens.
Well my preference is Cuba just because it was a chance of a short vacation w/o having to spend too much money
Considering most of my holidays are to Asia and usually cost 4-5kcad I really wanted to do a short 7 day trip to Cuba and spend about 1500
The flight was the key to Cuba
Since work would be paying for my flight to Florida my flight expense was only 200usd for Cuba

But there is so much going on with Ao and the family I just feel bad going to Cuba when I could go to Thailand instead

I might bail on Cambodia just to cut costs

It's my dog expenses that really are just adding up

From November to Mid-February I will have spent around 3500 on his boarding

retdent

I was in PP a month ago. Stayed at Lux hotel on corner of the river Rd and Street 130. Great Hotel, Rain Shower as well as hand held, plenty of water and as hot as you want. Staff are good and friendly. The bars are very close by. If you are in PP on a Sunday the Sofitel does a great Brunch, all you can eat and French Champagne, spirits, liquers, again all you can drink for about US$100. The Sofitel is a bit out from the bars.

SR, in my view not woth the effort, unless you like walking around old quarries.

MarcTwoSix

Stillearly;393580 said:
So PP is another place your not going to ..... 555
I'm sure in the end I will say sod the money and actually do Cambo/Thailand

Just trying to spend a bit less this year on holidays

As I said it's the dog that adds up
Coming home to a 6-700 bill just sucks

MarcTwoSix

Stillearly;393580 said:
So PP is another place your not going to ..... 555
Oh and technically I've been to PP already

Plus there is a great restaurant in Vancouver called Phnom Penh and I go often 555

MarcTwoSix

Well flight is booked, although I can always cancel it :)

Man, it took forever to get a proper, decently priced flight from Tampa, and in the end............I really don't have a flight from Tampa

I booked on Eva Air from Toronto but will be flying Air Canada from Tampa so it's not the same ticket and in the middle of February I am concerned about weather delays
I have 7hr layover in Toronto so any decent delay I should still be alright
If weather looks bad I can always start looking the day before to get to Toronto

I toyed with booking a one way from Tampa-Detroit, stopping in Seoul for a night but then I'd just end up in BKK on Feb 12th and still need to get to Cambo, plus it would have cost 500cad more for the flight

I will go to dinner with my friend in Toronto if all works out but still a long ass door to door travel, 33hrs!

Plan on spending 1 day in PP, then 2 or 3 days in Siem Reap

I mentioned I want to surprise Ao but will have to play that by ear
I will have to keep checking on what her job schedule is and if it looks heavy I will have to tell her
But think will be pretty cool calling her on LINE video from the hotel in BKK!

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;393993 said:
Give Ao a call to let her know you are coming..555
Ha
We might have to!

I get to BKK on Feb 15th
Her bday is Feb 16th
I'm worried she will go to Suphan Buri for her bday weekend

But I think I can entice her to stay in BKK by suggesting she go somewhere she really likes for dinner with her mom and Nut, my treat

It will be odd being in Asia for those 3 days and her not knowing, to be honest

When I was looking at flights from Chicago I would have hit BKK on 11th at 9:30pm and go to Cambo next morning
That would have felt downright weird being in Thailand without her knowing

MarcTwoSix

Dupree;393995 said:
Why you not tell me you in Bangkok? I think you hab gik.....#$##$
That was my old ploy back in the day

Used to hit BKK for 2-3 days before my "arrival"
Switch hotels and then start my holiday with Ao

Before we were "settled" 5555

Long past that now...

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;393993 said:
Give Ao a call to let her know you are coming..555
3 weeks out and it seems the surprise may work out

She thinks I am coming early March and is stoked I want to go to Koh Samet so I know she wants to go....so I already booked hotel on Samet

Her Bday is Feb 16th and I arrive on Feb 15th

For occasions I usually treat her and Nut to a nice night out but I was worried because Nut is in his pre-Military school weekends so he won't be around
So I suggested she go to a really nice dinner with her mom
Even telling her I think that's much better than just going to the village and getting drunk.....which I thought she might want to do

So I think it will be sorted

One funny thing is my buddy Jim will be there....we didn't plan it, just so happened
So now we will hang in BKK for a couple days and then Samet

But Jim knows Ao more than anyone of my friends and knows she is notoriously organized and doesn't like to rush things

So he is happy that I am surprising her on the 15th and he's not with us until the 17th so that she will have calmed down by then if she gets out of sorts 5555

As he said
He doesn't think she will love the surprise
But will appreciate it 55555

That sums it up about right

MarcTwoSix

Oh and I told her I haven't decided where I was going for the week I am supposed to be in Cuba
Which now half of that will be in Cambo

She suggested I still go to Cuba and that will give me good cover in saying not having wifi much

We don't chat every day anyways....text all.day and then chat every other day
So I don't think the communication will be an issue the 5 days I am travelling and in Cambo

justcruzing1

^^Paulie just make sure you don't leave your passport where she can have a look and see you have not been where you say you were.