Power-outages

DynamicDave

How about us expats having a grumble from time-to-time?

And, here's a good one, in celebration that, so far today, we haven't had one . . .

Power-outages - why are there so many unplanned outages in Thailand and what is their principal cause, other than the understandable ones, due to storm-damaged poles and lines?

In the UK, outages, other than planned ones, are impossible due to there being a fail-safe dynamic governing supply lines, i.e. it is impossible simply to 'flick the wrong switch'. A system of circuit-breakers is protected from that type of happening by at least one other level of deliberate and officially authorised switching.

But, here in Thailand where there can be countless thousands of crucial, electrically-powered operations happening at any given time, e.g. computer processes or the dentist's cavity drilling machine, the power all too often just trips-out and, more often than not, comes back on again, immediately. I've never logged these cuts but I reckon there will be between 1 and 2 each week.

Why or how can this happen? Answers please, 'cos it sometimes drives me nuts!

kaptainrob

Administrator
How about us expats having a grumble from time-to-time?

And, here's a good one, in celebration that, so far today, we haven't had one . . .

Power-outages - why are there so many unplanned outages in Thailand and what is their principal cause, other than the understandable ones, due to storm-damaged poles and lines?

In the UK, outages, other than planned ones, are impossible due to there being a fail-safe dynamic governing supply lines, i.e. it is impossible simply to 'flick the wrong switch'. A system of circuit-breakers is protected from that type of happening by at least one other level of deliberate and officially authorised switching.

But, here in Thailand where there can be countless thousands of crucial, electrically-powered operations happening at any given time, e.g. computer processes or the dentist's cavity drilling machine, the power all too often just trips-out and, more often than not, comes back on again, immediately. I've never logged these cuts but I reckon there will be between 1 and 2 each week.

Why or how can this happen? Answers please, 'cos it sometimes drives me nuts!
The why is relatively simple. A poorly maintained overhead grid system. Many transformers are old and inefficient, often ok on one or 2 phases and no good on #3. That can cause all sorts of problems often manifested in power going off yet fans slowed down, not quite stopped.
Another common problem is squirrels shorting out the lines at pole mounted transformers.

Some regions, eg Ubon Ratchathani and Phuket are in the process of going underground which will see a. omelet modernisation but it will take decades for most cities to be upgraded.

DynamicDave

The why is relatively simple. A poorly maintained overhead grid system. Many transformers are old and inefficient, often ok on one or 2 phases and no good on #3. That can cause all sorts of problems often manifested in power going off yet fans slowed down, not quite stopped.
Another common problem is squirrels shorting out the lines at pole mounted transformers.

Some regions, eg Ubon Ratchathani and Phuket are in the process of going underground which will see a. omelet modernisation but it will take decades for most cities to be upgraded.
Thanks, Rob . . . so, you're saying it's more of a system failure than a man-made one. I guess, once that poor squirrel has had its hair-raising shock and the short-circuit fixed, that would account for the outages being only momentary . . . hmm!

Bacon

Administrator
Thanks, Rob . . . so, you're saying it's more of a system failure than a man-made one. I guess, once that poor squirrel has had its hair-raising shock and the short-circuit fixed, that would account for the outages being only momentary . . . hmm!
I imagine a guy on a ladder, suspended off a tangled mess of overhead wires, poking a dead squirrel off with a stick to the cheer of a crowd when he succeeds and the lights come back on.

Bacon

Administrator
Ho-ho-ho! You are joking, aren't you?
Ok how about this.

Connect about a dozen car batteries together. Rig them up to load when you have power and plug them back into your circuit when it goes out. Just need a converter.

A single car battery will support a TV. Works fine.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Ok how about this.

Connect about a dozen car batteries together. Rig them up to load when you have power and plug them back into your circuit when it goes out. Just need a converter.

A single car battery will support a TV. Works fine.
haha ... easier way is to BUY a UPS and depending on size (mine is 3000va) use it to run all essential services. Can even plug a fridge in if needed. Mine runs a modem-router, PC/printer, security camera network, and emergency LED ceiling lights. Being an automatic self contained UPS it automatically cuts in if voltage drops even for a millisecond. Sizes which will support just a pc and modem are quite inexpensive and better than a DIY battery/inverter setup.

@DynamicDave yes, squirrels cause a lot of outages and due to contact with high voltage connectors on old transformers they are instantly cremated. Sometimes it causes a brief voltage drop but usually it blows a HUMUNGOUS fuse.

MarcTwoSix

^ Same same with the ones married to Thai men?
Yes! Probably more so
In a normal functioning relationship, not talking about any dysfunctional lower class relationship, the TG will more than likely rule the roost

They know when to push and when to let the small things go to get what they want in the end.....

Not just TG's, Asian women in general

They have it figured out much better than their white sisters 5555

Bacon

Administrator
^ Is that what's going on though? Or is it a case of the guy not being arsed to deal with the headache and just putting his hands up in surrender? Women have a lot of energy to argue and yap and grind you down. Most men know they're fighting in the wrong field and give up 55.

Personally, I think balance is alright, as long as a woman doesn't dis or emasculate her man in public, and vise versa of course. Keep it all between you and all good. When it bleeds into social life and you see some pathetic beta male sitting there and taking it, is when it gets cringe-worthy.

MarcTwoSix

^ Is that what's going on though? Or is it a case of the guy not being arsed to deal with the headache and just putting his hands up in surrender? Women have a lot of energy to argue and yap and grind you down. Most men know they're fighting in the wrong field and give up 55.

Personally, I think balance is alright, as long as a woman doesn't dis or emasculate her man in public, and vise versa of course. Keep it all between you and all good. When it bleeds into social life and you see some pathetic beta male sitting there and taking it, is when it gets cringe-worthy.
My point was TG's are very strong willed
Much more than most would think.

And yes, you are correct
Most guys just don't care as much as a women would
For the most part, that is my relationship
My wife probably gets her way 90% of the time
Simply because I don't really care

But I do think Asian women are smart in that they don't worry about the small stuff that I think a lot of Western women obsesss over
They know better when to pick their spots

Bacon

Administrator
^ That's a great thing as long as the relationship is healthy and balanced, and we're talking about actual strength and not illogical hardheadedness.

I love strong willed women and they're the ones I'm attracted to. Only weak men like submissive women.