"Tourist" Visa crackdown ??

mechime

I have only entered with an exemption on arrival, last visit the Trainee took longer (seconds) confered with his superior then asked why I keep coming to Thailand, I said 'Thai wife', big smile and stamped 1 month; I have at least a month between visits and stay less than the month but should I want longer can it be extended at a Thai immigration office like the one near Chiang Mai airport?
By the way TGF got her passport at the office near Don Meung, it took less than 2 hours even though there where 200 waiting, neat.

dave01

Last time I came thru Swampy, May this year, I fronted a lady Immi Officer. I was only staying 3 weeks, so thought I would use a visa waiver, instead of getting a visa beforehand. She took a very long time looking thru my passport, which has dozens of Thai entry/exit stamps, and quite a few visas as well.. After a bit she asked "Where Visa?" I said "NO visa this time, just stamp... Is there a problem?" With that, she says "No Problem, but I see many visas and look for new one" With that she stamped the Passport and said "welcome back". She then told me she was looking for a visa, because she has been instructed to use a visa if one is present in a passport, instead of using the waiver.

A valuable lesson really... Fast forward to later this year (October), and a few of my friends and I will be coming back... I am staying about 8 weeks, all of it in Thailand. A couple of mates are leaving Australia a couple of weeks earlier, and were planning on entering Thailand, on a visa waiver (with a visa in their Passports) for a few days then heading to Vietnam and Cambo for a couple of weeks, before reentering Thailand for 6 weeks on the Visa.

After what the lady told me at Swampy, in May, to avoid the chance of dramas, by that I mean the Immi officer will use the visa on the first entry, and not issue a waiver, I have manged to talk the blokes into getting a double entry tourist visa here, before they leave. I know it is a waste of the first entry, but I reckon, better safe than sorry, and I personally wouldn't be too thrilled applying for a tourist visa for Thailand in either Vietnam or Cambo...

Something to keep in mind

Stillearly

Just read on Stickman the CM office moved a couple of weeks ago , maybe one of the expats will know the new location

Moo Uaon

dave01;236616 said:
Last time I came thru Swampy, May this year, I fronted a lady Immi Officer. I was only staying 3 weeks, so thought I would use a visa waiver, instead of getting a visa beforehand. She took a very long time looking thru my passport, which has dozens of Thai entry/exit stamps, and quite a few visas as well.. After a bit she asked "Where Visa?" I said "NO visa this time, just stamp... Is there a problem?" With that, she says "No Problem, but I see many visas and look for new one" With that she stamped the Passport and said "welcome back". She then told me she was looking for a visa, because she has been instructed to use a visa if one is present in a passport, instead of using the waiver.

A valuable lesson really... Fast forward to later this year (October), and a few of my friends and I will be coming back... I am staying about 8 weeks, all of it in Thailand. A couple of mates are leaving Australia a couple of weeks earlier, and were planning on entering Thailand, on a visa waiver (with a visa in their Passports) for a few days then heading to Vietnam and Cambo for a couple of weeks, before reentering Thailand for 6 weeks on the Visa.

After what the lady told me at Swampy, in May, to avoid the chance of dramas, by that I mean the Immi officer will use the visa on the first entry, and not issue a waiver, I have manged to talk the blokes into getting a double entry tourist visa here, before they leave. I know it is a waste of the first entry, but I reckon, better safe than sorry, and I personally wouldn't be too thrilled applying for a tourist visa for Thailand in either Vietnam or Cambo...

Something to keep in mind
Hmmm strange. most immigration people will look at your arrival card to see if you've filled in the visa number or not then look for one in the book.

usually when a TV is issued they have to be used fairly quickly or they will expire,good idea to check when.

not sure what will happen when you turn up to LOS with a visa and don't want to use ut. i'd imagine they would want to use it/stamp it. so a double would be the best way to go.

Norabunga

Stillearly;236983 said:
Just read on Stickman the CM office moved a couple of weeks ago , maybe one of the expats will know the new location
Some of the services have moved to a new office in Promenada shopping mall.

D

Dazza

Crossed into Lao today (decided Nongkhai) on the bike, took me about 1 hr to get papers for my bike, both Thai and Lao charged me 220baht each. Painless experience at the end of the day, off to the embassy tomorrow:)
Too much rain hanging about to head to Savannakhet unfortunately:-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Dazza

In case people didn't know or understand (read me) you CANNOT get a 1 yr MM O Visa from Vientianne, the website says you can (but resident only)....I mistook this as for "Thai residential purpose".
It failed to mention (or I just didn't see it) LAO resident only.... anyway, no probs, 3 mth MM O visa sorted...

S

Seven_

Dazza;231600 said:
I tried to explain about the jobthing but he struggled with it. He asked me if I was married and I told him nobut my girlfriend had already passed immigration and was getting bags. Heallowed me to get her and she was then able to communicate.
Why didn't you go down the same immigration line as your girlfriend? I always go to the Thai one with my wife and same with she in Australia (Australian citizens). Although I ask first in Thailand and never have had an issue with doing it that way, even when traveling with Thai family alone.

MarcTwoSix

Seven_;238419 said:
Why didn't you go down the same immigration line as your girlfriend? I always go to the Thai one with my wife and same with she in Australia (Australian citizens). Although I ask first in Thailand and never have had an issue with doing it that way, even when traveling with Thai family alone.
I don't think he is married? And might have been solo anyways.

Does your wife have your last name?
I don't understand why some don't take their husbands name....it really provides so many advantages, even if it is just perception.

I also understand some are against changing their name but if it is just out of "not doing it" I don't understand that.

I can think of 2 instances off the top of my head at the airport where my wife having my last name saved our butt.

I just used the Thai lane with my MIL and stepson leaving Thailand.....wife wasn't with us

S

Seven_

MarcTwoSix;238429 said:
I don't think he is married? And might have been solo anyways.
I the post he said she was with him but had already gone through immigration.

MarcTwoSix;238429 said:
Does your wife have your last name?
Not in Thailand, but yes in Australia.

The Kids have my last name, both in Thailand and Australia

MarcTwoSix;238429 said:
I don't understand why some don't take their husbands name....it really provides so many advantages, even if it is just perception.
We thought it more advantageous to keep her Thai name for Thailand to do with property issues.

MarcTwoSix;238429 said:
I can think of 2 instances off the top of my head at the airport where my wife having my last name saved our butt.
In Thailand or elsewhere? I can't think of reason it would help, although having kids helps a lot of times.

MarcTwoSix;238429 said:
I just used the Thai lane with my MIL and stepson leaving Thailand.....wife wasn't with us
As I said before I have to with family members, I just ask if its OK and they have always said yes.

MarcTwoSix

Seven_;238455 said:
I the post he said she was with him but had already gone through immigration.

Not in Thailand, but yes in Australia.

The Kids have my last name, both in Thailand and Australia

We thought it more advantageous to keep her Thai name for Thailand to do with property issues.

In Thailand or elsewhere? I can't think of reason it would help, although having kids helps a lot of times.

As I said before I have to with family members, I just ask if its OK and they have always said yes.
One instance in Thailand when she didn't have a return ticket on a 6mo tourist visa.
The manager at Cathay Pacific came over, asked if we had the same last name and said it is OK.

Last month in Boston. They allowed her, somehow to fly to US with my name of the ticket, not hers!
We had to change it at the airport on the way back and it was not easy, took hours.....but I am positive that having the same last name helped a lot.

I don't remember if I ever asked to go through the Thai line when with wife or family but I have never asked in US or Canada when my wife comes with me either.
I just think it is normal procedure for families to go together.

D

Dazza

Seven_;238419 said:
Sorry, I may have confused you, the post you quoted above was me "quoting" what a work colleague emailed to me..

S

Seven_

Dazza;238686 said:
Sorry, I may have confused you, the post you quoted above was me "quoting" what a work colleague emailed to me..
You may well have done just that 555, but still a worth while discussion.

Z

Zablive

pinecone;247916 said:
I just noticed this on the Bangkok Post website: Govt bans foreigner 'visa runs' to borders | Bangkok Post: news

There is going to be a lot of VERY unhappy people in the near future....
To those living here without a visa - Som nom nah.
This has had plenty of warning.

The latest "crackdown" is due to the Immi Dept throwing a hissy fit because the Police Chief accused them of corruption following the BKK Bombers bribing their way in/out.
Amazing Thailand - they are part of his Farce and all teamoney has an upward spiral of apportionment 55555!

So the equation is
P.M. k/a the Army who k/a the Police who k/a Immigration who k/a farangs.
* where k/a = kicks arse

S

Seven_

I think its a good thing they are doing, visa runs are abusing the system and makes it harder for people who do the right thing.

In most western country's you aren't allowed to do this type of thing.

Mr. Smiley

Looks like that only applies to the Cambodian check points... pretty sure it's still business as usually everywhere else.