Recommended places to eat in Bangkok

supersub

DP I didn't see anything similar so perhaps we can pin this?

There's a wealth of info on this board from all the members who have spent time in Thailand. What eateries stood out for you?

Some of the places on my list for my upcoming trip include:

Sukhumvit 38 (BTS Thong lor) - lots of great street food

Baan khanitha*

Raan jay fai (Chinatown)

Rosabieng*(soi 11)

Sudhas (just past Som's bar)

Sala rim nam (mandarin orient hotel)

supersub

Had no idea that was even there DP. I suppose it could sit in either place tbh so will leave it to you to decide although I think it would help to build up this sub section for Bangkok.

Interestingly I am accessing this now on Tapatalk but when I clicked the link to that sub forum it gave me a pop up ad for some app forum runner.

supersub

Stillearly;189703 said:
Just found this blog , lots of Bangkok restaurant suggestions and lots of Thai dishes ( I just downloaded the free ebook )

10 of the Best Bangkok Restaurants of 2013

Some good ones on there. That's the great thing about Bangkok. I thought i had eaten at some good places there previously but I've not touched any in this link. I've got just over a week there for my Jan trip so fully intend to try as many places as possible.

On the flip side though as much as I enjoy dining in restaurants I do also enjoy the ransom hole in the wall family owned places scattered all over the place. Remember last time TG took me to some random place on soi 2 sukh. Looked a complete dump but the food was excellent.

bacwaan

I hardly ever eat in restaurants when I am in BKK....the street/market food is so good

however I do call into Nahm most times I am up to see the chef/owner..he taught me how to cook Thai food when he was not so famous 20+ years ago..his food is excellent..probably the best Thai food I have ever eaten across the broad width of the menu...+ I always get to sit in the kitchen and watch it being cooked...that certainly adds to the flavour

Nomad

bacwaan;189838 said:
I hardly ever eat in restaurants when I am in BKK....the street/market food is so good
Other than Thai Buffet, restaurants rarely get the tick of approval from TG family, whereas street food rarely disappoints.

The restaurant next to Hillary 4 and across from Bar 4 is reasonable.

Bully's (between Soi's 2 & 4) has a new chef and manager. The ribs are sensational. The pad thai was also good. The larb moo was not viewed as edible by TG's mum, or me for that matter.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Nomad;189841 said:
Other than Thai Buffet, restaurants rarely get the tick of approval from TG family, whereas street food rarely disappoints.

The restaurant next to Hillary 4 and across from Bar 4 is reasonable.

Bully's (between Soi's 2 & 4) has a new chef and manager. The ribs are sensational. The pad thai was also good. The larb moo was not viewed as edible by TG's mum, or me for that matter.
Bully's is on my to do list for Xmas. Will be interesting to compare with The Dukes.

Quarky

Administrator
There is an Isaan restaurant about 200 yards up Sukhumvit Soi 36. You'd hardly know it was there... just go thru a gap in the bushes and a wonderful restaurant under the trees is there... and the prices are almost street food level.

Quarky

Administrator
I used to go to Soi 38 for food quite a bit. Was only 2 mins from where I was living on Soi 36...

supersub

Distantpeak;189981 said:
I used to go to Soi 38 for food quite a bit. Was only 2 mins from where I was living on Soi 36...

I've often wondered with great street food in abundance in Thailand do people still keep fresh produce and cook at home as much? Families aside.

Quarky

Administrator
supersub;190052 said:
I've often wondered with great street food in abundance in Thailand do people still keep fresh produce and cook at home as much? Families aside.
Yes, we did. But ate out a couple of times a week as well.

bacwaan

supersub;190052 said:
I eat up at the beach looking out over the water in one of several of my favourite restaurants every day but most nights I prefer to cook for myself (and include my flat mate if he is at home)...at night I mostly just want a salad with some BBQ meat/fish....and its just easier

Once you are getting into farang food I find that I can do it cheaper/cleaner/better/how I want it to taste than the restaurants anyway...but not Thai....I learned to cook Thai over several years and did so quite often in the west however mine tastes nowhere near as good as the better Thai chefs here (just the depth of flavour they can get is amazing) and I have no idea how they can get it on the table for the prices they do

supersub

bacwaan;190183 said:
I eat up at the beach looking out over the water in one of several of my favourite restaurants every day but most nights I prefer to cook for myself (and include my flat mate if he is at home)...at night I mostly just want a salad with some BBQ meat/fish....and its just easier

Once you are getting into farang food I find that I can do it cheaper/cleaner/better/how I want it to taste than the restaurants anyway...but not Thai....I learned to cook Thai over several years and did so quite often in the west however mine tastes nowhere near as good as the better Thai chefs here (just the depth of flavour they can get is amazing) and I have no idea how they can get it on the table for the prices they do
I think if I lived there I would make an effort to try get fresh produce from local markets. It's great to have the option of eating out for cheap too though.