Recommended places to eat in Bangkok

supersub

The 1st year I went to Thailand I think the 1st thing I ate was pad thai. I had a pad thai for either lunch or dinner almost every day that trip. On future trips I would have it less as I like trying different curries or soups but this place looks like it's worth checking out. I love how they 'gift wrap' it in egg a few times too.

Thip Samai

Address: 313 313 Thanon Mahachai, Phra Nakorn
Hours: 5 pm - 3 am daily
Phone: 022216280
ผัดไทยทิพย์สมัย (ผัดไทยประตูผี)
313 อาคาร บริเวณภูเขาทอง ถนนมหาไชย (มหาชัย) แขวงสำราญราษฎร์ เขตพระนคร กรุงเทพฯ 10200
เปิดทุกวัน เวลา 17.00-03.00 น. (หยุดทุกวันพุธต้นเดือนและปลายเดือน)
โทร. 022216280

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6dDw6Oy4hY

Thip Samai, Bangkok - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Here is a map for Thip Samai. If you are coming from Khao San Road (and if you are then slap yourself for being there in the 1st place) walk towards Democracy Monument go past the roundabout (top left in the map above) and make a right on Thanon Mahachai. Although you can't see the road name Maha Chai it's the one running parallel to Thanon Boriphat.

This would be great place to bundle in with a trip to Wat Saket. After climbing the 300 odd steps I will be hungry 555. I usually stay on Sukhumvit so will probably get the Saen Saeb express canal boat from Hua Chang to Panfa.

Stillearly

Distantpeak;190712 said:
Tim's does a nice Pad Thai too....
I've never been a fan of the food at Tims , I only order it if I'm really hungry / hungover , it's the pool and rooms I like there ;)

Quarky

Administrator
Stillearly;190718 said:
I've never been a fan of the food at Tims , I only order it if I'm really hungry / hungover , it's the pool and rooms I like there ;)
To be honest... I find it hard to find food I don't like... maybe its all this juicing... when you haven't had food for months you'll eat anything... 555

No seriously... I cannot remember a bad meal I have eaten outside my house... they're all just different versions of good.. 55

supersub

Stillearly;190709 said:
That's how they serve it at the Salathai in Patong , wrapped in an omlete :)

Looks yummy. I've never seen it made that way in Thailand so I want to try asking for it next time I go. What's the way to ask to get that inside an egg?

supersub

^^ have you already eaten today or don't you like Thai food? 555

Thanks Nels. I didn't think it would be as simple as that. I do love a Thai style Kai jiaw but the street ones are practically deep fried. All that oil.

Quarky

Administrator
supersub;190898 said:
^^ have you already eaten today or don't you like Thai food? 555

Thanks Nels. I didn't think it would be as simple as that. I do love a Thai style Kai jiaw but the street ones are practically deep fried. All that oil.
Syd is juicing... he hasn't eaten solids in weeks...

This thread is like you going without sex for 5 years and waking up in Pattaya...

supersub

Distantpeak;190899 said:
Syd is juicing... he hasn't eaten solids in weeks...

This thread is like you going without sex for 5 years and waking up in Pattaya...

Ok that makes sense now. Is it ok to not eat solids at all for that long?

Quarky

Administrator
supersub;190902 said:
Ok that makes sense now. Is it ok to not eat solids at all for that long?
I did it for 3 months... its fine. You still crap solidly surprisingly enough... 55

bacwaan

supersub;190898 said:
"Pad Thai Kai jiiaew" is how I order it...however you can also say "Pad Thai Haw Kai"...which means Pad Thai Wrapped in Egg...this way can also get you the one which is in like an omelette net

either way should get you what you want...but TIT....so you never know...if you ask for one and get that Thai "I don't know but I'll just get him anything" look maybe just repeat the order with the other way of saying it 555

It's actually the proper "Royal" style presentation of Pad Thai..so it kinda has no official name...as that IS pad thai....the more normal unwrapped style is the "street" way

Nomad

The restaurant next to Hillary 4 and across from Bar 4 is reasonable.
Charlie's Kitchen has changed owner and on the avoid list now...inedible rice...WTF!

Bar 4 provides 2 restaurant menus luckily!

MarcTwoSix

Nomad;362612 said:
Bad news on Soi 11...Zak's is now closed.
Yeah there was talk it was going to close before but figured it was only time
No one can make money with those rents

My wife will be very disappointed.......she loves that place
Last January we met her friends there.........I left after a couple of hours and they stayed on for another 4 hours!!

Whenever we are in lower Suk, that is where she'd have her friends meet her

bacwaan

I've always liked Chilli Culture on Soi11....very nice Thai food at pretty reasonable prices in a lovely setting...mostly Thai clientele as well...but pretty well healed

Nomad

It's changed a lot, and still changing. Climax closed, zak's gone, condos going up.

Ate at Ava tonight...good food but not cheap, and some nice scenery.

Moo Uaon

Had a great couple of dishes at Princess Terrace. Nice little spot with a few of the hotel boats stopping there to drop off and pick up.