Recommended places to eat in Bangkok

Ian Forbes

MarcTwoSix;390844 said:
But the thing is you automatically think that anyone that can afford to spend a bit money is just showing off, which is absurd
We've had this debate a million times

I don't have any interest in cameras yet you've bought a bunch of expensive cameras
But no, you aren't showing off
But anyone else that spends money on something that doesn't interest you is trying to show off

But of course, you aren't showing off with your expensive camera equipment
You also don't show off with telling us how much help you give others

None of that is showing off at all
But God forbid someone feels like spending more than a 100baht for a nice meal 555
You are STILL and CONTINUALLY missing the point.

I do know the difference between showing off like you are somehow superior, and someone who needs something expensive for business or pleasure.

If you are a skilled motorbike rider then it makes sense to own a powerful, expensive bike. A bike like that would be lost for me with my skills. Same with owning a Ferrari that you only drive in the city. But, if you are a big business tycoon, then maybe you need a fancy yacht to impress your potential customers... even if ocean sailing is not your "thing".

Same with fine dining and expensive wines... it's a waste of money for me. But, if that is what others love and can afford then by all means enjoy yourself.

MarcTwoSix

Ian Forbes;390864 said:
You are STILL and CONTINUALLY missing the point.

I do know the difference between showing off like you are somehow superior, and someone who needs something expensive for business or pleasure.

If you are a skilled motorbike rider then it makes sense to own a powerful, expensive bike. A bike like that would be lost for me with my skills. Same with owning a Ferrari that you only drive in the city. But, if you are a big business tycoon, then maybe you need a fancy yacht to impress your potential customers... even if ocean sailing is not your "thing".

Same with fine dining and expensive wines... it's a waste of money for me. But, if that is what others love and can afford then by all means enjoy yourself.
Forbes it's you who doesn't have a clue

Again you constantly talk about people showing off and all you've done on here for years is brag about how much you help people

Guess what? There is tons of guys on here that help a lot of people
They don't feel the need to brag about it

Guess what some people would call that?
Showing off

People have different tastes but if it isn't what you like they are showing off
People have made a hell of a lot more money than you(and more than me)
So them buying a "big house" is equivalent to you buying your house

Anything you can't afford, you deem it as "showing off "
When all it is jealousy

PeteGill

Interesting 'debate' here... In reality one can show off by bragging about how 'little' you spend. Just as easily as how 'much'...

Perhaps sometimes it is best just to shut the fcuk up 5555

Ian Forbes

PeteGill;390868 said:
Interesting 'debate' here... In reality one can show off by bragging about how 'little' you spend. Just as easily as how 'much'...

Perhaps sometimes it is best just to shut the fcuk up 5555
Agreed. Stay off all topics and only reply with a yes or a no. Goodbye.

Quarky

Administrator
I am sort of on Ian's side... food is functional for me... more important that it is fresh and ideally not covered in man-made chemicals, not processed and tastes ok... I did the high end restaurants for years as part of my job and never got much pleasure out of eating expensive food... yeah sure it's nice to eat a steak that melts in your mouth... but give me a carrot straight out of your own garden... and that's just about the most delicious tasting food in the world...

PeteGill

Distantpeak;390877 said:
I am sort of on Ian's side... food is functional for me... more important that it is fresh and ideally not covered in man-made chemicals, not processed and tastes ok... I did the high end restaurants for years as part of my job and never got much pleasure out of eating expensive food... yeah sure it's nice to eat a steak that melts in your mouth... but give me a carrot straight out of your own garden... and that's just about the most delicious tasting food in the world...
My lack of sense of smell courtesy of botched op as a small child (Thanks mom and doc) has left my taste buds distinctly underwhelmed. so I can happily live on basic foodstuffs and hot curries..

But I still think that one-upmanship can go both ways.. You like to spend, you don't. Up to you.. It is no biggie either way and hardly something to have to read over and over again.

No disrespect to Ian, he is not the only one and I put my hand up too (Rugby thread 555) But at times the forum just seems to be an endless rewind of the same old stuff..

Perhaps we have run out of new things to say ????

Quarky

Administrator
I don't mind endless arguments if I am honest... in real life... and on here... 55

I find it quite stimulating... because arguments always side-track off to other stuff... it won't be long before we are talking about dog's over-coats in a food thread... 55

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;390877 said:
And that's more than fine
I don't think anyone is wrong if they want to eat PBJ every day for every meal

But I'm not the one constantly going on about how people are showing off because they like nice restaurants

I like absolute dives and I like nice restaurants

I'm not a fan of really high end food or really high end French restaurants
But some people like those places and I'd never accuse them of showing off
That's my whole point.
If Forbes doesn't like it or can't afford it, he deems it as people that want to show off
Wether it's a nice house, car or restaurant

Yet he spends his money on bikes and cameras and constantly judges others

I

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;390882 said:
I don't mind endless arguments if I am honest... in real life... and on here... 55

I find it quite stimulating... because arguments always side-track off to other stuff... it won't be long before we are talking about dog's over-coats in a food thread... 55
You just reminded me that Quincy's raincoat came in and I forgot to pick it up!

I'm serious, they left me a message yesterday and I forgot and probably would have for another week
Thanks!!

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;390883 said:
And that's more than fine
I don't think anyone is wrong if they want to eat PBJ every day for every meal

But I'm not the one constantly going on about how people are showing off because they like nice restaurants

I like absolute dives and I like nice restaurants

I'm not a fan of really high end food or really high end French restaurants
But some people like those places and I'd never accuse them of showing off
That's my whole point.
If Forbes doesn't like it or can't afford it, he deems it as people that want to show off
Wether it's a nice house, car or restaurant

Yet he spends his money on bikes and cameras and constantly judges others

I
I just thought Ian meant if you enjoy good food at a fine restaurant.. then enjoy it.... no need to tell the world about it... especially as everyone has different tastes when it comes to food... so one man's delicious gourmet meal is another man's spew-bag... 55

Sure, talk about atmosphere and service... but the food? Nahh... irrelevant... unless they poison you.. 55

Hence why I never really listen to what other people say about food... it's too personal a taste... bada boom.. 55

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;390885 said:
You just reminded me that Quincy's raincoat came in and I forgot to pick it up!

I'm serious, they left me a message yesterday and I forgot and probably would have for another week
Thanks!!
I can't believe Quincy isn't standing at the door with an umbrella and a baseball bat... 55

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;390888 said:
I just thought Ian meant if you enjoy good food at a fine restaurant.. then enjoy it.... no need to tell the world about it... especially as everyone has different tastes when it comes to food... so one man's delicious gourmet meal is another man's spew-bag... 55

Sure, talk about atmosphere and service... but the food? Nahh... irrelevant... unless they poison you.. 55

Hence why I never really listen to what other people say about food... it's too personal a taste... bada boom.. 55
Ok Switzerland 5555