Renovating an old rural village home in Thailand.

Faz

With time still on my side, I gave the centre part of the top unit a second coat and whilst drying fitted the new mirror into the newly painted frame, ready for fitting.

I also refitted the glass to the 4 newly painted door frames that will eventually be refitted to the unit.

783.jpg

By the time I'd fitted the mirror and glass back into the frames, the second coat of paint on the centre console had dried, and I was able to refit the mirror as well.

774.jpg

It's far from finished yet.
A second coat still needs applying internally to the remainder of the top unit, and both units require a second coat of gloss to the new external plywood sides and top.
The two units then need securing to each other and finally refitting the doors ................ to be continued next week.

Faz

In the afternoon, she started moving some soil mounds from digging out for the concreting and laying it around the inside of one of the external walls.
Something to do with retaining water where and when she grows her rice.

779.jpg

780.jpg

781.jpg

Rather her than me!
That garden needs a heap of working doing to it.

Faz

Saturday 3rd February,

It was another one of those weekends this week.
All started well on Saturday with my intent to finish renovating the old cupboard.
The cupboard comes in two pieces. I'd already given the base unit 2 coats of paint internally, but needed to give the top unit another internal coat.
Both units then required a second gloss coat to the exterior.

785.jpg

786.jpg

So far so good, now tomorrow when the paints dry I can assemble the unit and refit the doors.

Faz

Sunday 4th February.

With both units now dry, I assembled the top and bottom together, securing with brackets at the rear.
Now I was aware the doors weren't a good fit previously, but with removing the old hardboard inner shelves and replacing them with plywood, probably making a couple of Millimetre difference, every door needed planing on the bottom edge to fit, So it was on/off two or three times for each door, before they finally closed properly.

787.jpg

Another task completed, I turned my attention to the 2 cupboard units in the lounge, where the doors were also ill-fitting and needed a kick or bang with a fist to close properly, which is probably why a piece of glass was already cracked in one of the doors. So it was another case of on/off with the doors which needed a plane either top, bottom or sides, or in some cases all three. All started well, until I was interrupted again by neighbours popping in again to view what we were up to this week.

Another problem arose when the wife made a comment about the internet, which I'm too busy to have time to use at the moment.
We had horrendous issues after it was installed that took them 3 weeks to sort out.
I'd assumed all was now well, but the wife knew differently but never told me.
It's a looooong story, but I spent over two hours then speaking to True in Bangkok, followed by numerous return calls from various members of their staff.

Needless to say, I only managed to sort the doors out on one of the two units.

788.jpg

Faz

I thought I'd at least make a start on the second unit, but ...................................

Originally, one unit stood on top of the other, but I added legs I had at hand to make the other unit free floor standing.
The hinge type on these doors had to be unscrewed from underneath the door to remove them for planing.
To access the screws the unit needs to be tilted backwards, then ............ crash, one of the back legs collapsed.

790.jpg

791.jpg

These legs I originally made for a coffee table and only used 1" screws to fix the leg to the bracket.
Obviously, a stronger fixing is required for the weight these legs now have to carry.
Next week I'll be replacing the existing screws with 2 1/2" 10's, before I then sort the remaining 4 doors out.

789.jpg

As an example, in the image above, the door on the left (partly closed) is now binding on both top and bottom of the door, but with a little brute force can be totally closed.
Once closed, it then needs a good pull to open it.

Quarky

Tell you what Faz, your place looks like the sort of place that if you ever broke into it.. you aint coming out... 55

Reactions: Faz

Faz

Before I post this weekend's adventures, I must update on the True saga.
Ever since True installed the internet back on 18th November 2023, it hasn't worked consistently.
They initially gave us a 12-day credit from the date of installation.
We can only test it at weekends obviously, but the wife thought it was working, when in fact she was using her mobile data.
It was reported faulty the first week in December, but we were told it was an external fault.
We chased it up a couple of weeks later, but they wanted to visit the house the Xmas weekend, but I advised them we wouldn't be back at the house until 6th January 2024.
My wife was ringing the engineers directly and not their HQ on 1242.
I expected them to contact us again after New year, but nothing, so mid-January my wife complained at the True shop in Big C.
A couple of days later, an engineer called to make an appointment to visit her shop. WTF!
My wife has 2 accounts with True, one at her business and one at the old village house, somehow they mixed the accounts up.
Anyway, she informed the engineer where the fault was, and he stated he'd inform HQ over the mix-up.
So we reach the end of January, no contact, no internet, and until this point I'd been letting the wife deal with True.

Sat 3rd February, I call True on 1242, who claim to be unaware of any issues other than the first fortnight following the installation.
An engineer calls later that same day to advise it's an external fault.
It's about the fourth time we've been informed as such, but nothing has been done to resolve the issue.
I call 1242 back, demanding a full credit until such time it's repaired. The call centre staff aren't authorised to award a credit, so my complaint is upgraded to deal with a supervisor.
On Tuesday 6th Feb, I send an email for the attention of the supervisor listing all the dates of each and every event which I'm able to obtain from previous posts on the forum and from my wife's phone.
They offer me a 50% credit, which I refuse.
The wife has paid two bills and has another unpaid bill, which I advise we will not be paying.
Now the legal threats start, if we don't pay the bill, we will be disconnected (we already are) and will be sued for outstanding fees up to the end of the 12-month contract.
I inform them I have the proof the system has never been operational, and it is they who are breaching the contract by charging for a service they have so far failed to provide.
An appointment is made for the area troubleshooter to attend the house on Saturday 10th Feb.
That morning, the engineer calls the wife and asks her to the internet and TV and hey presto they are both working.
He tells us he spent the previous day (Friday) searching for an external fault and eventually found the fibre optic had been cut, but the two ends tied together in a knot.
In his opinion, this could only have been cut by another service provider who had reason to go to the top of a pole, such as 3BB or PEA.
He's reported his findings back to Bangkok.
Sunday morning, 11th Feb, True contact me to advise they'll be giving a full credit up until the current date and will monitor the system for a month.

Nomad

I had been wondering about the benefit of internet to the home vs hotspotting from the phone. Even in rural Thailand I was getting many multiples of the speed I get in Australia on an unlimited mobile plan. Although, home internet would be needed for any appliances running off the internet while absent.

Quarky

I reckon it was one of those soi dogs... Can't get over your high fence... Next best thing? I'll cut off his internet!

• Haha

Faz

I had been wondering about the benefit of internet to the home vs hotspotting from the phone. Even in rural Thailand I was getting many multiples of the speed I get in Australia on an unlimited mobile plan. Although, home internet would be needed for any appliances running off the internet while absent.
I have a pay as you go mobile with dtac and fat fingers.
Give me a larger screen and bigger keys anytime.
I have both a desktop and laptop PC.
The idea of having internet and TV at the village house is so that when we stay at weekends, I can watch the footie and continue posting on various sites without restrictions.

Faz

I reckon it was one of those soi dogs... Can't get over your high fence... Next best thing? I'll cut off his internet!
If a soi dog can climb to the top of those poles, then installing a fence is a waste of time. 🤨

Faz

Saturday 11th February.

The first task is to secure those cupboard legs to the brackets for strength.
6 legs, 6 brackets to unscrew and replace the original 1" screws with 2 1/2" 10s screws,
The legs are hardwood, so I had to drill pilot holes to accommodate the longer screws.

792.jpg

Once the legs had been secured and the brackets fixed back to the unit, I could continue with removing and planing the 4 remaining doors.
The screw heads on the hinges were butchered, so difficult to remove.

793.jpg

Eventually, after planing and refitting the doors, I could attend to the catch locks on all 8 doors.
Each catch secured by only 1 screw, so they could easily twist and not work.
Was this a deliberate cost-cutting exercise, or just forgetfulness.

794.jpg

I finished off by cleaning all 8 refitted panes of glass twice with glass cleaner.
20+ years of dirt and grime is difficult to remove.
I doubt they've never actually been cleaned before.

797.jpg

Last edited:

Faz

After lunch, I measured, marked, drilled, plugged and screwed 16 curtain tie back hooks to the wall.

795.jpg

I just had enough time to fit two locking bolts to the front door.
I had originally temporarily fitted a chrome bolt to the top, but since obtained two antique brass coloured ones.
The first closing door now bolts into the top frame and the floor.

796.jpg

It's a weekend of all those itsy bitsy jobs to finish off.

Faz

Sunday 12th February.

I help the wife unpack the last remaining box, which has family photos and books in it.
Some are in a state of disrepair and have to discarded, but others are cleaned and look presentable.
The wife wants to hang some of these on the wall, whilst others are freestanding and can go on a shelf.
More measuring, drilling, plugging and screwing hooks into the wall.

Family photos of her Mother and Father in their mid 40s, the 3 sisters and her youngest sister collecting her diploma from a University.

800.jpg

Royal family photos.
801.jpg

Roi Et city and Provincial maps, with some Buddhist scroll above the front door for good luck.
805.jpg

Finally, and the only photo choice of mine is a picture a departed friend left me which I always admired of elephants by a waterfall.809.jpg

Faz

At our permanent place of residence, the MIL has a wooden rocking chair that I've always admired.
The SIL, as a 'thank you' for all the hard work I've been putting in to restore the family village house, bought me one to use at the village house.

799.jpg

From the onset of work, we took a large floor fan to use, which was covered in dust and paint speckles, so I took it outside, stripped it down and gave it a good clean.
I got a bag full of dust from the motor alone, and surprised it was still working.

803.jpg

Whilst in cleaning mode, I also cleaned an old set of rice weighing scales.
I intend to keep this on the front porch as an antique ornament of the past.
It probably still works, to be honest.

804.jpg

MarcTwoSix

At our permanent place of residence, the MIL has a wooden rocking chair that I've always admired.
The SIL, as a 'thank you' for all the hard work I've been putting in to restore the family village house, bought me one to use at the village house.

View attachment 10020

From the onset of work, we took a large floor fan to use, which was covered in dust and paint speckles, so I took it outside, stripped it down and gave it a good clean.
I got a bag full of dust from the motor alone, and surprised it was still working.

View attachment 10021

Whilst in cleaning mode, I also cleaned an old set of rice weighing scales.
I intend to keep this on the front porch as an antique ornament of the past.
It probably still works, to be honest.

View attachment 10022
Love the scale

MarcTwoSix

Sunday 12th February.

I help the wife unpack the last remaining box, which has family photos and books in it.
Some are in a state of disrepair and have to discarded, but others are cleaned and look presentable.
The wife wants to hang some of these on the wall, whilst others are freestanding and can go on a shelf.
More measuring, drilling, plugging and screwing hooks into the wall.

Family photos of her Mother and Father in their mid 40s, the 3 sisters and her youngest sister collecting her diploma from a University.

View attachment 10016

Royal family photos.
View attachment 10017

Roi Et city and Provincial maps, with some Buddhist scroll above the front door for good luck.
View attachment 10018

Finally, and the only photo choice of mine is a picture a departed friend left me which I always admired of elephants by a waterfall.View attachment 10019
We have family photos all over our place in Canada

But one that is hilarious is my wife just put up a huge one of herself

Always cracks me up when I see it in our hallway. 😀

In our house in Nonthaburi she has another huge one of her all dressed up in traditional outfit

Again, hilarious to me

Faz

When not giving me a hand, the wife has been busy in the garden again removing and spreading all the mounds of soil we dug out to concrete.
She's also been busy planting more plants and Thai fruit trees, one of which I know is a lime tree, the other two she can't translate into English for me.
Her bannana trees have rooted well and are growing.

806.jpg

Some old pots lined up against the rear wall, that I original thought were maybe plant pots, but the wife advised they were storage pots from the old kitchen, but what exactly they stored in them I don't know.
I must ask her what she intends to do with them. Definately not cookie jars for sure.

807.jpg

808.jpg