Retired and a new journey begins

lakeboy

Distantpeak;354862 said:
Quite an interesting area that between the two mountain ranges... semi-arid hilly country with lots of lakes...
Yeah it's a nice area, lakes, golf courses, wineries. Ski hills for the winter...which I will avoid as much as possible

MarcTwoSix

I liked Old Puerto Vallarta but the beach just wasn't nice enough for me

But loved the little few blocks of the town

Ian Forbes

lakeboy;355756 said:
Some random beach shots
My ex and I enjoyed Mazatlán because it was big enough with lots of things to do and places to visit. I would go bonkers if I had to sit on a beach more than a couple of days.

lakeboy

MarcTwoSix;355768 said:
I liked Old Puerto Vallarta but the beach just wasn't nice enough for me

But loved the little few blocks of the town
I've been walking a lot, averaging 9 kms a day right now. It's supposed to help with my nerve damage. So far I've explored about half of the neighbourhoods between the airport and old town. It's pretty cool when you get away from the tourist areas and you see how most of the people in Mexico live. The Marina and Fluvial Vallarta areas are an upper middle class areas with beautiful homes, manicured lawns and streets with good sidewalks. The Las Glorias area, a bustling mid to lower class area that's just full of activity. Then there are areas like the neighbourhood beside the airport, kind of hidden behind the highway. Some dirt roads, shacks put together with scrap materials. I like walking areas like that, but I think I will stay out of the area when it's dark.

And you are right, the beach at the old town isn't very nice. There are better beaches around.

lakeboy

Ian Forbes;355789 said:
My ex and I enjoyed Mazatlán because it was big enough with lots of things to do and places to visit. I would go bonkers if I had to sit on a beach more than a couple of days.
I've actually had just one beach day since I've been here. Went to a beach called Nahia Playa just north of La Cruz, a little town about 45 minutes north of PV. Went with some friends, the beach was awesome and we saw whales breaching and a school of dolphins just 30 feet offshore. That was cool to see!

Dupree

lakeboy;354844 said:
My house is actually in Vernon, about 45 minutes north of Kelowna. The lake house is on Shuswap Lake, an hour and a half north of Vernon. If anyone is looking for a good investment, they don't build waterfront anymore.
This should be an interesting thread for me. I'll be 62 in March and trying to decide what to do where to go. Mexico may be for me. But something about it rubs me the wrong way. I've never been to the Caribbean. So I'm thinking of taking a few trips to suss it out. You have a good setup with friends around and a steady stream of visitors. That will keep you sane. Do write down any thoughts if you feel you're going mad. That's my concern...55

Stillearly

Dupree;355844 said:
This should be an interesting thread for me. I'll be 62 in March and trying to decide what to do where to go. Mexico may be for me. But something about it rubs me the wrong way. I've never been to the Caribbean. So I'm thinking of taking a few trips to suss it out. You have a good setup with friends around and a steady stream of visitors. That will keep you sane. Do write down any thoughts if you feel you're going mad. That's my concern...55
Panama has been mentioned as a good place to retire and it uses the USD

Quarky

Administrator
Dupree;355844 said:
That collection of ready made friends is a big attraction.. takes years/ decades to generate that sort of close network...

MarcTwoSix

Stillearly;355845 said:
Panama has been mentioned as a good place to retire and it uses the USD
Panama is probably the friendliest country towards expats
They give so many benefits to people that want to retire/live there

lakeboy

Went for a nice hike today from Boca de Tomaltan, beautiful scenery, lunch beside the beach, boat ride back....great day

Ian Forbes

lakeboy;356401 said:
Went for a nice hike today from Boca de Tomaltan, beautiful scenery, lunch beside the beach, boat ride back....great day
And the quiet little chuckle you have to yourself is you KNOW what the weather is like back in the north Okanogan. 555

Are you going to go back and forth each year, like I do between Thailand and Vancouver Island? I find that life style is far more enjoyable than being in just one place all the time. You always have something to look forward to.

MarcTwoSix

lakeboy;356401 said:
I went there before
At lunch the waiter asked me if I wanted weed

I said sure
He got me weed and it was added to my Bill! 555