Retirement visa post Covid

OZZYGUY

I'm told the Thai government is now accepting retirement visa's with a truck load of documentation and hoops to jump through. Is this true?

Anyone got any info on this?

No Im not coming but have a fair few friends stuck that cannot get back to Chiang mai that normally travel in TV's

bacwaan

^ they have been allowing in some people (very few) with O and O-A Visas on compassionate grounds if they are parents of children here....it has been mooted that some on VIP Retirement Visas and Work Visas have been allowed in but I do not know of anyone personally who has come back in on either of these...

The main concern of govt here still seems to be to facilitate Thais who desperately want/need to come home from OS... and that is fair enough by me...there are still very many of them and very few spaces allowed on a daily basis due to Q constrictions...

kaptainrob

Administrator
Baccy is correct.
One American neighbour returned with his Thai wife and baby last month after going thru all the rigmarole, checks and Q on arrival. They'd been stranded in Arizona since March. Another Frenchman is in Q now after he returned from NZ. He actually married his TG while there while on holiday to facilitate HIS return on compassionate grounds. They'd been in Queenstown since March.

I'm fairly certain they both had to buy covid insurance and reapply for OA Visas, but I do know it wasn't easy.

OZZYGUY

My Danish friend is currently in Copenhagen but normally lives in Chaing mai most of the year on TV's
Also a Austrian fella same thing.

Both these guys are partners in a CM business with a Thai guy. 3 partners.

They both have GF's in CM but not married or no kids.

Sounds to me they have no chance.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Well he got the OA retirement visa, fly's out 4th Nov.

I never thought it would happen.
They're slowly easing up and may even reduce Q to only 10 days. The cost of insurance and hotel Q [now only in BKK hotels] can be quite exxy but at least expats have the opportunity to return even if there's a bit of a wait for flights.

bacwaan

just has word from an Italian friend that he has landed in BKK and about to hit Q for 2 weeks...he went home in June....still has a current work visa via his several art/design shops here...will be good to see him again...especially so he can move his car outta my carspace..55

Quarky

Administrator
A TG has been stuck in Japan since March. Was only supposed to be there for two weeks. Govt extended her stay 4x, latest till January... can't get home...

Moo Uaon

A TG has been stuck in Japan since March. Was only supposed to be there for two weeks. Govt extended her stay 4x, latest till January... can't get home...
Working there is she?
Bit tough if that's what they were doing and then it dries up and have to support themselves when Covid kicks in.

Quarky

Administrator
Working there is she?
Bit tough if that's what they were doing and then it dries up and have to support themselves when Covid kicks in.
Was only a two week holiday, visiting a friend there who works at a restaurant, which she worked in as well when it it became clear she would have to extend her stay... at least when it was open, but it keeps having to close because of the virus.... still staying with same friend, so presumably costs are low.

Stillearly

No. She just says she cant get home and immigration keeps extending her stay... she isn't happy being stuck there.
Thai airways are doing repatriation flights from London and Europe once a week I think , surely they are doing the same in Japan ..

Quarky

Administrator
Thai airways are doing repatriation flights from London and Europe once a week I think , surely they are doing the same in Japan ..
Dunno. Her English isn't good enough to explain why she can't get home. Plus I don't care enough to dig further.

bacwaan

^ I used to stay in The Landmark occasionallly back before I lived here....they would have decent deals sometimes and the location is great for a monger who liked to visit Angels Disco in the basement of the Nana Hotel....55

My rooms were never as big or well appointed as the one featured in that advertisemant but they were nice and spacious enough for a good 4 star...

It would drive me crazy being there, not being allowed out..you are in spitting distance of NEP and soi 11 is almost across the road...I'd be pininig at the windows...55

Last edited:

OZZYGUY

Would drive me crazy being in one place any more than a day, a balcony would differently be needed.....may end up jumping....55

He paid 39,000b and for some reason its 15 days.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Would drive me crazy being in one place any more than a day, a balcony would differently be needed.....may end up jumping....55

He paid 39,000b and for some reason its 15 days.
15 nights ensures 14 complete days.
TG has had numerous repatriation flights out of Japan though ppl had to register with the embassy. They were not openly advertised or available via any normal means.