retirement

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;222160 said:
I know many people that are more fit in their late 40' and 50's than they were in their 30's because they take their health more seriously
That's it. You are almost forced to take it more seriously because you realise if you don't, how quickly you go downhill. It's that fear that drives me... 55

Quarky

Administrator
Changone;222166 said:
Nobody is saying you can't be fit in your fifties sixties or seventies.
If you have been there though, as some of us have, you may find that the investment you will have to make is redoubled every few years older you get. Also, parts of your body like joints etc wear out and don't work as well as before meaning you have to work around that to get a result. In fact the more you have run before your fifties, the more likely you will face joint problems. Sorry, it's just one of those getting older things, as anyone will delight in telling you then...
I agree. And I am inspired by people like Ian Forbes and how he has stayed in such good condition. But I also appreciate that health issues spring out of nowhere as you get older too... so no matter how hard you try... some things are just out of your control...

It's all an unavoidable challenge... aging...

M

meese

as we get older(late 50's) we do get exposed more and more to people that are sick and that die...for some its a wake up call and to other they think it cant happen to them...

Minder

meese;222211 said:
as we get older(late 50's) we do get exposed more and more to people that are sick and that die...for some its a wake up call and to other they think it cant happen to them...
And regardless of the good care you take of yourself - ageism will see to it that your good health won't matter to anyone but you.

Over a dozen years ago I was chatting (up) online with a girl who - on finding out my age (then 42/43) immediately lost interest.
She was early 30's and wanted to meet someone who was not old and fat.
I replied - typing online chat remember -that
"Actually, I still have a body of a 25 year old athlete......

...yeah, it's in my basement freezer between the rude taxi driver and the cold pizza delivery guy...."

We never dated...

Enjoy...

MarcTwoSix

Minder;222303 said:
And regardless of the good care you take of yourself - ageism will see to it that your good health won't matter to anyone but you.

Over a dozen years ago I was chatting (up) online with a girl who - on finding out my age (then 42/43) immediately lost interest.

...yeah, it's in my basement freezer between the rude taxi driver and the cold pizza delivery guy...."

We never dated...

Enjoy...
You also forgot about the other Thai girl who didn't want and old fat man in your fridge 555

Quarky

Administrator
Minder;222303 said:

We never dated...

Enjoy...
Did you really type that? Or just thought about it...

If you did type it... I am in awe.... 555

Minder

Distantpeak;222328 said:
Did you really type that? Or just thought about it...

If you did type it... I am in awe.... 555
It was circa 2000-to mid 2001 on something like Yahoo, (maybe MSN) and the chat room was like a box on the screen and you were little more than an icon that entered and left the "room" and the "Conversation" appeared in text as you typed in a cartoon character talk balloon .... she probably still hasn't got the joke ...

.....but even on that primitive chat screen she was coming across as full of herself .. so no loss.

MarcTwoSix;222320 said:
You also forgot about the other Thai girl who didn't want and old fat man in your fridge 555
Honestly, the only time I have heard a Thai woman say age was an issue was when a girl a couple of years younger than Mrs M told me she was hesitating to get involved with a guy who was 10 years older than me ....

Her reason? Falling in love with a man she might lose in 10 years would be too painful for her .... ( Last I heard via Mrs M, I'd say we'll be getting an invite to their wedding soon.)

No wonder they call it the City of Angels ...

Enjoy...

Moo Uaon

Minder;222355 said:
It was circa 2000-to mid 2001 on something like Yahoo, (maybe MSN) and the chat room was like a box on the screen and you were little more than an icon that entered and left the "room" and the "Conversation" appeared in text as you typed in a cartoon character talk balloon .... she probably still hasn't got the joke ...

.....but even on that primitive chat screen she was coming across as full of herself .. so no loss.
i was on one of those about 12 years ago. started chatting with an "icon" filipina.
never met her,married with 2 kids,but is a FB friend and still around!

Cuzzy

meese;222211 said:
Thats what my Aunty and Uncle tell me. They will celebrate their 60th Anniversary in July... Talking with them in February when Au cam back to NZ they told me that while their upcoming anniversary is for them a big milestone it is with some regret that many of their friends aren't around to celebrate with them.

They are now, in their mid & late 80s well aware of their mortality. Aunty Julia ( born in July and married in July ) tells me she is sure that it is all the pills that now keep people going much longer than previous life expectancy. I reminded her that a big contributing factor was their determination to stay active and involved with family and a wide range of social contacts.

Interaction I believe is crucial to longevity, whether mentally and/or physically. I look at my Mum 82, two strokes and in her last 10 to 15 years becoming quite reclusive, is now a shadow of her former self. Sure, Dimentia is hard to combat but try as we may her stubborness to accept positive input and our failure to recognise onset of Dimentia has led to her quite profound intellectual disablement.

I don't think that until you 'open your eyes', experience and see the effects of ageing on a relatively 'normal' person that you understand what is about to happen to you. It's a big wakeup call..

For me, I still think and act like I'm in my 30s - 40s. My ex said I have a Peter Pan personality and she's probably right 555. The only problem is.. at 58 going on 59 the limitations of my body are becoming apparent. To many shoulder forward hard tackles in rugby, to many injuries shrugged off as.. 'it's nothing, I'll get over it' are now coming home to haunt this old carriage.

I don't want to retire, not yet anyway. When I do maybe it will be in Isaan but probably commute back to NZ to avoid the humidity if finances permit. If I had the resources it wold be Thailand but unfortunately I didn't have that longterm outlook 555. Live for the now was me.

Moo Uaon

^ know how you feel.

my left arm is the only part of my body that has escaped a fracture or soft tissue damage.
13 months on from my last knee surgery the worst of the pain from the arthritic condition seems to be behind me and walking quite well now. seems the micro fracturing of the cartilage they performed on it has been successful but it's been quite a long and painful road to get to this point. they usually don't get much success with the 50+ patients...so i may have been lucky.

C

Changone

How much does a "six million dollar man" cost these days...5555

PeteGill

Changone;222512 said:
How much does a "six million dollar man" cost these days...5555
Probably still the same given how technology has become cheaper... Most of him would have been made in China and India though 555
Attached files