Road trips - driving

OZZYGUY

Who likes road trip and what road trips have you done.?

Anyone driven Phuket to CM, thinking of buying a car in Phuket and driving. Only reason is to see the places along the way and I'm going to need a car in CM anyway.

Would do it in 3 or 4 days and take our time, book accommodation as we arrive and don't have any set plan.

Moo Uaon

I loaded my Chev ute up with my gear in Phuket and drove to CM with it all when i moved there.
Sent 2 of my bikes with the post office as it freed up a lot of space for my other stuff but left my nice mattress behind as it was just too big and heavy to take.
First night was HH. I was a bit nervous about leaving it all out overnight so tipped a security guard and parked the ute near his box not thinking it would be any more secure but it was all safe and sound the next morning luckily.
Left early and scooted up through Chainat and Tak and made it to CM the next day.You could stay somewhere like Nakhon Sawan or Tak on that leg.

You could venture off the main 4 hwy onto the gulf and drive along it...Bang Saphan-Ban Krut (1st night),Dolphin Bay (2nd night) are 2 that come to mind,Hua HIn.

(I did a TRIP REPORT of my ride along there on the PCX 150 but can't find my started threads for some reason?)

Ban Krut..

Dolphin Bay..

Last edited:

Quarky

Administrator
Driven all around the UK and NZ... and did most of Western (and a bit of Eastern) Europe in a Combi van over the course of a year...

Done some shorter ones in Thailand too.. mostly to Isaan. Looks like Moo has you covered.

Moo Uaon

Moo... did you try this?

Though looks like you found them?

Weird,i don't get that option when i open "your content" only my recent posts but i may have found the one i was thinking of by searching "dolphin bay".

Screenshot 2022-01-09 094845.png

Last edited:

Moo Uaon

What if after you click on your avatar.. you then click on your name again? This should take you to another view?

That's it,didn't know i had to click on my name as well (y)

It was the thread i was looking for but unfortunately the pics are gone.

Quarky

Administrator
That's it,didn't know i had to click on my name as well (y)

It was the thread i was looking for but unfortunately the pics are gone.
I think a lot of pictures disappeared after we moved sites two years ago. Bacon might know if gone forever.

MarcTwoSix

Anyone driven Phuket to CM, thinking of buying a car in Phuket and driving. Only reason is to see the places along the way and I'm going to need a car in CM anyway.

Would do it in 3 or 4 days and take our time, book accommodation as we arrive and don't have any set plan.
4 days would be a huge rush for that drive, IMO

I'd take at least a week

Stop South of Hua Hin like Anmeno's area, around there

Stop in HH
Stop in Kanchanburi

Stop at Sai Yok National Park

What's your rush, you are retired
Unless the kids need to get settled in CM

Bacon

Administrator

If I could permanently live on a perpetual road trip, I would.

Buy a cheap, yet reliable car and sell it on the other side. Like the Vietnam tradition of Saigon to Hanoi by motorbike. Funny how there are some bikes that have exchanged hands between so many backpackers and made the journey multiple times. I'd love to do that one.

Nomad

I did a couple of mini road trips around Isaan in late 2019. My reflection on that was to spend 2 or 3 nights in each location, rather than be rushed. Maybe a bit different for you with 4 in the car! Are we there yet, I'm hungry, i need to go to the toilet, etc. 555

Bacon

Administrator
I did a couple of mini road trips around Isaan in late 2019. My reflection on that was to spend 2 or 3 nights in each location, rather than be rushed. Maybe a bit different for you with 4 in the car! Are we there yet, I'm hungry, i need to go to the toilet, etc. 555
Is there RV hire in LOS? That'd be awesome.

Nomad

I had that thought a long time back, but regional hotels are about $20 a night so I doubt it is a viable business model and I can't recall seeing a van or park.

Bacon

Administrator
I had that thought a long time back, but regional hotels are about $20 a night so I doubt it is a viable business model and I can't recall seeing a van or park.
You can still stay at a hotel. Bit more comfortable for the fam during the day, being able to utilise a sitting area, kitchen etc on the road.

MarcTwoSix

Is there RV hire in LOS? That'd be awesome.
My sister has a house in Florida
They used to drive the 24hrs in2 days, 1 night in a hotel

They bought an RV and are loving it
They have stopped at some really cool RV parks

Even just parking it in our cousins driveway for July 4th weekend 😀

Bacon

Administrator
My sister has a house in Florida
They used to drive the 24hrs in2 days, 1 night in a hotel

They bought an RV and are loving it
They have stopped at some really cool RV parks

Even just parking it in our cousins driveway for July 4th weekend 😀
Driving through north America must be amazing. You guys have incredible nature that can change with every state.

If I was there I'd drive all through the country and then up to Canada. What an adventure that would be!

Moo Uaon

You can still stay at a hotel. Bit more comfortable for the fam during the day, being able to utilise a sitting area, kitchen etc on the road.
The 6 berth we drove from Sydney to Brissy was a rattle trap-caravan on wheels but fantastic when we stopped.

The 4 berth we took from Brissy to Sydney drove like a charm but a bit smaller and squeezier when stopped overnight.

Was in a LDV G10 thing recently and was pleasantly surprised by the comfort....

1771491_10331_1_640706355a6ea6df.jpg

MarcTwoSix

If I could permanently live on a perpetual road trip, I would.

Buy a cheap, yet reliable car and sell it on the other side. Like the Vietnam tradition of Saigon to Hanoi by motorbike. Funny how there are some bikes that have exchanged hands between so many backpackers and made the journey multiple times. I'd love to do that one.
In Tulum
Right on that road on the beach to the right

There are always these old beatdown vans and small RV's parked living there for a few nights

I'm staying In a luxury hotel and get so jealous when I see the beat up van on the beach

el-pez-tulum-view-2.jpg