Road trips - driving

OZZYGUY

Wow, looks fantastic!! Plan to do one also from KL all the way up to Chiang Mai. Not sure how many weeks i would need to take off work.
Take the dam crossing, well worth it.

Had a friend about 7 years ago that did Singapore to Chaing mai and did the Mae Hong son loop then back. Took him 5 days to CM, he was on a motor bike. I would rather take my time on a big trip.

MarcTwoSix

Driving in Thailand sucks

Very fee scenic routes
Drivers kind of suck

The drive yesterday wasn't bad but still not very scenic

OZZYGUY

Very fee scenic routes
Drivers kind of suck

I find the drivers ok, and the route we did above a few posts with the dam crossing (not far from you) was awesome.

Plus I feel safer in Thailand on a moto bike than I do in Australia.

But if you compare it to BC I guess not so scenic

Nauts

Take the dam crossing, well worth it.

Had a friend about 7 years ago that did Singapore to Chaing mai and did the Mae Hong son loop then back. Took him 5 days to CM, he was on a motor bike. I would rather take my time on a big trip.
Yea need lots of time and some rest days. I dont ride a bike, will be using my 4x4 pick up.

I did think about the road trip next year, but got no idea where to stop yet. Definitely need lots of stops from Malaysia border to Bangkok and then all the way up also.

And the route back has to be different i think.

Nauts

Very fee scenic routes
Drivers kind of suck

Yes true, not much to see. I already did the KL to Bangkok trip few years back. It was ok from border to Krabi, But krabi to Bangkok it's all road only.

OZZYGUY

Yea need lots of time and some rest days. I dont ride a bike, will be using my 4x4 pick up.

I did think about the road trip next year, but got no idea where to stop yet. Definitely need lots of stops from Malaysia border to Bangkok and then all the way up also.

And the route back has to be different i think.
Or rent a car and fly one way like we did. Saves time and fuel cost and accommodation is around the same prices as a flight one way.

I also wouldn't book accommodation too far ahead. We booked most out accommodation day before just in case we changed our minds on route.

Nomad

The key thing on Isaan roads is continually yielding to oncoming traffic that are passing other cars and trucks. You certainly don't want to lose concentration.

OZZYGUY

Was that a homework question?

More useless information - more than half in Kata, Karon and Patong were casualties of the pandemic.
Not homework it was a game of spotto

Homework young fella did a report on Kanchanaburi and the girl on Bangkok.

MarcTwoSix

The key thing on Isaan roads is continually yielding to oncoming traffic that are passing other cars and trucks. You certainly don't want to lose concentration.
Yesterday I was humming along nice at 120-130kmh

But then we go to a stretch where cars on the other side were overtaking and I slowed right down and moved to the inner lane

I don't play with that....

OZZYGUY

Yesterday I was humming along nice at 120-130kmh

But then we go to a stretch where cars on the other side were overtaking and I slowed right down and moved to the inner lane

I don't play with that....
Why are you going so slow...... 555

Reminds me of a road in Negros Philippines. It was 3 lanes, one lane each direction and the center lane is for over taking. Center lane was both directions.

OZZYGUY

Like a Russian Roulette lane!
It was in the rural area and wasn't to bad until it got into the mountains and lots of blind corners. It was a nice road not that old and one of the better condition roads I had been on in Pi.

But to be fair, the roads in the city they normally just make up the lanes and direction anyway...555 Much rather drive in Thailand.

Last edited:

Bacon

Administrator
Why are you going so slow...... 555

Reminds me of a road in Negros Philippines. It was 3 lanes, one lane each direction and the center lane is for over taking. Center lane was both directions.
No different to single carriage road overtakes where you have to get into the opposite lane, but reduces your chances of facing traffic. Not that bad when you think about it. Alternating overtake lanes back and forth takes maintenance and signage, so they've probably just gone fuck it, make it a free for all.

PeteGill

No different to single carriage road overtakes where you have to get into the opposite lane, but reduces your chances of facing traffic. Not that bad when you think about it. Alternating overtake lanes back and forth takes maintenance and signage, so they've probably just gone fuck it, make it a free for all.
Adds to the holiday excitement too. Any visit to Bangkok is not completer without a motorcycle taxi ride down the Suk :p