SEA Schengen Zone?

Faz

The name Schengen comes from the town in southeastern Luxembourg where France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands signed the original Schengen Agreement in 1985.

Let's hope if it comes to fruition they don't sign the agreement in Fuchu, Japan. :eek:

Nauts

Doubt it will work for ASEAN, too many complications.

This was proposed many many years ago and Singapore opposed it due to security reasons. And this was before Bali bombing and 9/11

Bacon

Administrator
Yes, certainly nothing comparable to the EU zone, but I don't see how it can't work on the visa level alone. You don't throw away passport control and checks and balances under this system, so security isn't necessarily compromised. Countries just need to be on the same pages and agree on what the criteria is. So it's more about trust between immigration offices on doing due diligence than the mechanics of movement.

Nauts

Yes, certainly nothing comparable to the EU zone, but I don't see how it can't work on the visa level alone. You don't throw away passport control and checks and balances under this system, so security isn't necessarily compromised. Countries just need to be on the same pages and agree on what the criteria is. So it's more about trust between immigration offices on doing due diligence than the mechanics of movement.
Malaysia and Singapore border at Johor Bahru cannot even agree on a single system. 5555555

Singapore side uses QR code, over at Malaysia side still old system.

End up congestion and lots of red tape.

The border between Malaysia and Thailand is much better and easier. Drove through a couple of times, dont even need to fill up forms now.

I agree on the Visa level only. But Malaysians can stay in Thailand for 30 days without Visa.

MarcTwoSix

I'd imagine the fact Thais(and I am sure other SEA countries) are massive culprits of over staying in places like Korea and Japan will be a road block

Any time they've offered any sort of reciprocal visa the Thais have abused it

Bacon

Administrator
I'd imagine the fact Thais(and I am sure other SEA countries) are massive culprits of over staying in places like Korea and Japan will be a road block

Any time they've offered any sort of reciprocal visa the Thais have abused it
Which is funny then, given its the Thais advocating it 55.

That said, what stops them overstaying the visa issued by the country itself?

Nauts

Which is funny then, given its the Thais advocating it 55.

That said, what stops them overstaying the visa issued by the country itself?
I doubt the Thais or ASEAN citizens will overstay in countries in ASEAN or the countries mentioned in the proposal above. Might not appeal to them.