Siem Reap info needed

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;357855 said:
^ yep...Tonle Sap is a great day out...you get to see how the fishermen and their families live in houses on stilts out on the lake and how they make their living...

I recomend this to everyone I know who goes to SR as it breaks up the temple days and reduces "Temple Fatigue"...and its nice to be out on the water relaxing and taking it all in for a day there...SR gets very hot so this is nice relief...

Get out to the temples early before the crowds arrive...see the big popular ones first thing in the morning as early as you can (dawn is great) Angkor, Bayon, Banteay Srei, Ta Prohm which are in the inner circle and then when the crowds get too much make your way out to the smaller ones or make your way back to your resort for a dip in the pool (as SE Suggests) to relax out of the heat..if you wish you can head out again in the late afternoon and see some great sunsets over the temples
Well you know I wake up super early but what put me off is I saw where thousands of people are already at Angor Wat for the sunrise

MarcTwoSix

Would you say the area is good to drive around on MB?

Honestly if I can do that and explore I am happy

bacwaan

^ I have never seen "thousands" at Angkor Wat at Sunrise...certainly hundreds maybe one thousand but not thousands..and I've been there a dozen times...having said that its a very large temple complex and can easily accomodate a huge load of people at once...perhaps the thousands was talking about the whole of the Angkor area which includes the other complexes like the Bayon etc which I talked about in my earlier post...if you find it too busy at sunrise just head off to another temple or two and double back...there is a lull after the sunrise crowd...before the ones who slept and and had breakfast get under way

You can do MB tours etc but the best way to see the temples is to hire a tuk tuk for the day (only about $15 iirc)...these are like a nice little 4 seater (facing seats) wagon being pulled by a MB in front and the drivers are pretty good guides as well if you get the right one...ask at your hotel...they will normaly be able to organise a good one

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;357894 said:
^ I have never seen "thousands" at Angkor Wat at Sunrise...certainly hundreds maybe one thousand but not thousands..and I've been there a dozen times...having said that its a very large temple complex and can easily accomodate a huge load of people at once...perhaps the thousands was talking about the whole of the Angkor area which includes the other complexes like the Bayon etc which I talked about in my earlier post...if you find it too busy at sunrise just head off to another temple or two and double back...there is a lull after the sunrise crowd...before the ones who slept and and had breakfast get under way

You can do MB tours etc but the best way to see the temples is to hire a tuk tuk for the day (only about $15 iirc)...these are like a nice little 4 seater (facing seats) wagon being pulled by a MB in front and the drivers are pretty good guides as well if you get the right one...ask at your hotel...they will normaly be able to organise a good one
Can't I just drive the MB to the temples?

Videos of crowds at sunrise.......doesn't look peasant at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSQ4BkdSx84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17TJD9l3rg

bacwaan

The sunrise at Angkor Wat in the 2nd vid is more how I remember it crowd wise...the temple up on the hill that they go to for sunset is not worth it...its been way too crowded for many years...

You can ride a push bike out to the temples to look around but I am not sure if they will let Barangs (us) take MBs out there..its a National Park with its own rules and I don't ever remember seeing any foreigners out there on one...its much more pleasant and easier with the tuk tuk's..they are comfortable

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;357900 said:
The sunrise at Angkor Wat in the 2nd vid is more how I remember it crowd wise...the temple up on the hill that they go to for sunset is not worth it...its been way too crowded for many years...

You can ride a push bike out to the temples to look around but I am not sure if they will let Barangs (us) take MBs out there..its a National Park with its own rules and I don't ever remember seeing any foreigners out there on one...its much more pleasant and easier with the tuk tuk's..they are comfortable
Thanks for all your info Nels

I abhor crowds at tourist places, especially a place like this..........
But I don't need to see the sunrise so would be more than happy to go at the time you suggested

As for the MB, besides Angkor Wat, is it still a decent place to ride around?

Stillearly

MarcTwoSix;357899 said:
Can't I just drive the MB to the temples?

Videos of crowds at sunrise.......doesn't look peasant at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSQ4BkdSx84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17TJD9l3rg
looks like a special sunrise , I remember when I was there ,there was a few hundred tourists for the sunrise , was a bit cloudy so not great , they told me there would be one in a few weeks where the sun would rise directly in the centre , your vid is probably similar

bacwaan

MarcTwoSix;357904 said:
As for the MB, besides Angkor Wat, is it still a decent place to ride around?
you can hire a bike there...make sure to take your IDL...but SR is easy to walk around and is very flat...and you can see most of what you want from the back of the tuk tuk

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;357935 said:
you can hire a bike there...make sure to take your IDL...but SR is easy to walk around and is very flat...and you can see most of what you want from the back of the tuk tuk
So I read on a few forums you can't legally rent a MB
Plenty do and then it's just down to if you get stopped and a small fine

They do rent out those little electronic scooters that are legal to drive

I'd just suss it out when I get there

But being in a city I've never been to....I'd love scoot around
Even for just a day to see the area

bacwaan

I've hired MBs loads of times in Cambo...a couple of times with Sef I had to pay like $2 to a cop because I didn't have a IDL however Sef had his and got waived on...

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;357949 said:
I've hired MBs loads of times in Cambo...a couple of times with Sef I had to pay like $2 to a cop because I didn't have a IDL however Sef had his and got waived on...
It's only in Siem Reap that they seem to enforce it mostly

But like you said, if I have to pay a small fine if get stopped not an issue

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;357900 said:

I've watched a ton of YouTube videos from vloggers and of course, having been there and done it, you were correct on the tuk tuks being the best way.
It seemed they take you right to everything

Also some of my fear of overcrowding has been put to rest.
Sure it is busy but seems like still plenty of space to have a good experience

I'm not a huge temple guy but this is more up by alley in terms of ruins
And I was fascinated by all the sculptures and carvings
The carvings blew me away on video so can't imagine seeing them in person

So I got a lot more excited to explore all there is

Now just have to see if flights work. A tad expensive from BKK, as I alluded to in Chob's thread but may work out

Also some very nice villas we can rent if it is the 4-5 of us
If only Ao and I, then I'd book a hotel

kaptainrob

Administrator
We went early by tuk tuk, well ahead of tour buses and had an easy couple of hours wandering around Angkor. It was Ta Phrom that we enjoyed most as it's still 'as discovered', overgrown and crumbling. Fascinating how some structures were built and still stand today. One could spend several days, or mornings whilst cool at least, and not see all of the ~160 hectares. Sure beats the hell out of Cairo's pyramids!

Moo Uaon

kaptainrob;358949 said:
Sure beats the hell out of Cairo's pyramids!
Hmmm...pyramids, tombs, Karnak temple.... think cruising the Nile was the best thing I did there. Just imaging Cleopatra doing the exact same thing and seeing and sensing the same things all those centuries ago.
Once in a lifetime experience as I'll never go back to the shithole country again 55