Thai bank account.

Z

Zablive

Distantpeak;333570 said:
I had a similar issue for a while...

I had a problem connecting to anything after a windows update.
I ran the trouble shooter and that seemed to clear it.

Cuzzy

My mate Howard recently retired and moved to Rayong.

He said opening a bank account there was worse than pulling teeth compared to the 10 minutes it takes here.

Ian Forbes

Zablive;333585 said:
I had a problem connecting to anything after a windows update.
I ran the trouble shooter and that seemed to clear it.
That happened to me as well. As I've mentioned on another topic I have a brand new DELL tower computer with an updated Windows 10 program installed. I have a year old DELL laptop with Windows 10 installed. They both seem to operate slightly differently depending on the internet forum I visit. I have no idea why.

Back on topic. I have a Thai bank account I opened over 15 years ago with Siam Commercial. I have no problem using it in Thailand. I've also opened bank accounts for the two kids in Kanchanaburi about 3 years ago so I could send them money and not directly to their silly mother. Again, no problem. Same with my sick lady friend in Phan. However, my experience has been that every bank seems to have its own rules, and not even the same with another bank of the same company, and not even when in the same city. I find that a bit confusing... but that seems to be the way it is in government offices. A different day with a different employee and everything goes smoothly when it previously was a road block with someone else.

Hatari

7-Eleven, the answer to everything?

WILL 7-ELEVEN PICK UP WHERE THAILAND’S BANKS LEAVE OFF?
21 February 2018

Coming soon to the ubiquitous convenience store chain that millions rely on for midnight snacks, utility payments and caffeine doses? Cash deposits and withdrawals, say regulators. It’s a move an economist described as the natural next step in the evolution of financial services as banks scale down branches and personnel.

Word that 7-Eleven could start offering banking services surfaced a week ago when senior Bank of Thailand official Daranee Saeju said an upcoming regulatory change would clear the way for the convenience stores to launch deposit and withdrawal services.

That happened Tuesday with an arcane rule change enacted by the central bank. The Bank of Thailand announced it would authorize commercial banks to assign private companies – like 7-Eleven franchises – to provide services on their behalf.

One Retail Ring to Sell Them All?
Some welcomed news of banking coming to the nation’s most ubiquitous retail channel – CP All hopes to open its 10,000th store this year – with unease.

CP All is a massive conglomerate with holdings in agriculture, telecommunications, finance, education and more. The powerful family which owns it all is ranked the fourth richest in Asia by Forbes.

“This is it, the true power-grabber of this country. They slowly creep into our everyday life,” user Peacheii wrote in thread about the news on the popular Pantip webboard. “With each day passing by, it’s really becoming a monopoly, all-consuming business. This is not something we should overlook,” user Dansivilai wrote in the thread. “Just imagine this for fun: If all 7-Elevens just close for seven days, the entire country would fall into chaos.”

Banks in Retreat
The timing comes as financial institutions are downsizing.

During 2017, 223 commercial bank branches were closed. Siam Commercial Bank, the nation’s oldest private bank, announced last month it will reduce staffing by nearly half, from 27,000 to 15,000 employees.
Attached files

Ian Forbes

Considering that I got ripped off to the tune of $1000 when someone hacked the Kasikorn bank and took money out of my account when I tried to use it with my Canadian bank card, I would not trust some ATM attached to a 7-11 store.

MarcTwoSix

Ian Forbes;361351 said:
Considering that I got ripped off to the tune of $1000 when someone hacked the Kasikorn bank and took money out of my account when I tried to use it with my Canadian bank card, I would not trust some ATM attached to a 7-11 store.
I'm just shocked with how frugal you are you just decided to eat that 1k instead of getting it back

There is still a chance you can report that to your Canadian bank when you get back soon/or already are back in Canada

Ian Forbes

MarcTwoSix;361357 said:
I'm just shocked with how frugal you are you just decided to eat that 1k instead of getting it back

There is still a chance you can report that to your Canadian bank when you get back soon/or already are back in Canada
I reported it to my bank today. It was the first chance I had of doing so. I'm not expecting to get it back, but annoying as it is, I think it's just fate catching up to me. I've lived my whole life riding along the edge. Every once in a while my guardian angel gives me a slap on the wrist and tells me to get back on the safe side of life. I'm unlikely to change, but I do have a better understanding where the danger points are. My risks are more calculated now.... but I still take a few to make life a little more intense.

Chob

Ian Forbes;361682 said:
I reported it to my bank today. It was the first chance I had of doing so. I'm not expecting to get it back, but annoying as it is, I think it's just fate catching up to me. I've lived my whole life riding along the edge. Every once in a while my guardian angel gives me a slap on the wrist and tells me to get back on the safe side of life. I'm unlikely to change, but I do have a better understanding where the danger points are. My risks are more calculated now.... but I still take a few to make life a little more intense.
Wow !

My debit card and bank company are just plain boring compared to yours ...