Thai bank account.

Z

Zablive

Bahtsmart - comes via Chiang Mai so only an internal transfer fee.
My KBank has a maximum O/S transfer fee of 500 baht - you sure it was them and not your OZ bank converting to baht?

Ian Forbes

Moo Uaon;329052 said:
The hardest thing I had to do there was to transfer car and MB ownership from one province to another. In CM it took 3 visits and the better part of a week to get it sorted. I'm sure phuket wasn't as bad as that but can't remember. Was starting to think that I may have a stolen vehicle on my hands at one stage.
I had the same problem when I bought my D-Tracker in 2011. It had been bought in Bangkok and the owner was living in Chiang Mai. Indirectly it led to me getting shot by police when I ran through a road check. My insurance had run out, I didn't have a Thai driver's license, and the bike was not OFFICIALLY registered in my name. I only had the legal transfer papers from the previous owner. In my mind I had pictures of me in a Thai jail up near the border and my motorbike impounded.

C

Changone

Moo Uaon;330298 said:
Oz Forex is ok..little bit of a hassle to sign up.
Zablive;330299 said:
Bahtsmart - comes via Chiang Mai so only an internal transfer fee.
My KBank has a maximum O/S transfer fee of 500 baht - you sure it was them and not your OZ bank converting to baht?
I used Ozforex, they charged me $15 and made whatever they made on the X rate.
They sent an exact amount of Baht to K-Bank. When local went in to collect it was 2% short in the account.
Who thieved that money, if not K-Bank?
Had I sent the same amount from my K-bank to theirs, the fee to transfer would be 20 baht.
Does it say anywhere in K-Bank T's&C's that receipts from forex deals will be docked 2%?
Do they do the same with Bank receipts from WU transfers?
I fckn hate surprises.

P

phaisan

Ian Forbes;330304 said:
I had the same problem when I bought my D-Tracker in 2011. It had been bought in Bangkok and the owner was living in Chiang Mai. Indirectly it led to me getting shot by police when I ran through a road check. My insurance had run out, I didn't have a Thai driver's license, and the bike was not OFFICIALLY registered in my name. I only had the legal transfer papers from the previous owner. In my mind I had pictures of me in a Thai jail up near the border and my motorbike impounded.
Um What? Shot by the police, do tell the whole story.

Rivo

phaisan;330349 said:
Um What? Shot by the police, do tell the whole story.

Ian's told us the story many times, if you look around phaisan you might even find a photo of a bullet hole in Ian's back 555

Z

Zablive

Changone;330310 said:
I used Ozforex, they charged me $15 and made whatever they made on the X rate.
They sent an exact amount of Baht to K-Bank. When local went in to collect it was 2% short in the account.
Who thieved that money, if not K-Bank?
Had I sent the same amount from my K-bank to theirs, the fee to transfer would be 20 baht.
Does it say anywhere in K-Bank T's&C's that receipts from forex deals will be docked 2%?
Do they do the same with Bank receipts from WU transfers?
I fckn hate surprises.
Phone them - I've always had prompt service from them with complaints.

Moo Uaon

Rivo;330358 said:
Ian's told us the story many times, if you look around phaisan you might even find a photo of a bullet hole in Ian's back 555
blood,guts and various trauma shots a plenty of him here i believe?
christ knows why nobody else does that 555

P

phaisan

Rivo;330358 said:
Had a look and couldn't find much except a quick mention of it.

The search engine on this forum is abysmal.

Anyone have a link to the post?

Chob

Changone;330296 said:
I just sent money to K-Bank and they nicked 2% just for receiving it.
Thats just thievery....
I need a better way. Anyone?
I send money to the K-Bank once a year and about $35k aud landed in aud . ( My aus St George Bank constantly tries to change it before sending - if I allowed that , then u would see true thievery ! )
The cost is always $20 , even though it comes via Hong Kong Singapore Bank.

P

phaisan

Changone;330699 said:
A lot of Ian's stuff has gone Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppp......
Yes I noticed that while searching, why is that? it makes the threads hard to follow.

P

phaisan

So no one can provide a link? so did it even happen or is it another tall story told in a beer bar.

Chob

I only recently heard the story myself.
It had been retold numerous times apparently.
Briefly it goes that Ian bought a motorbike in another city and was riding it back to his town when he saw a cop roadblock up ahead.
As he was a bit panicked at the thought of having no proof that he yet 'owned' the bike , no insurance , tax paid or even a Thai license ( IIRC ) , he decided to run the gauntlet.
When he was thru and thought 'home free' he heard a crack and a pain in the back and later found a bullet lodged there.
My guess is that as he was racing away at speed the bullet didnt have the same velocity it could have or it may well have maimed or killed him.

P

phaisan

Chob;331034 said:
I only recently heard the story myself.
It had been retold numerous times apparently.
Briefly it goes that Ian bought a motorbike in another city and was riding it back to his town when he saw a cop roadblock up ahead.
As he was a bit panicked at the thought of having no proof that he yet 'owned' the bike , no insurance , tax paid or even a Thai license ( IIRC ) , he decided to run the gauntlet.
When he was thru and thought 'home free' he heard a crack and a pain in the back and later found a bullet lodged there.
My guess is that as he was racing away at speed the bullet didnt have the same velocity it could have or it may well have maimed or killed him.
Oh OK I understand, his one of those type of posters, OK I get you ;)

Understand for the reluctance for people to answer now.

Quarky

Administrator
Chob;331034 said:
As a bullet travels at around 1,700mph... Ian must have had a very fast bike... or 1,600mph feels a lot less than a 1,700mph bullet... 55

I think he was just lucky...
Attached files

Ian Forbes

Distantpeak;331041 said:
As a bullet travels at around 1,700mph... Ian must have had a very fast bike... or 1,600mph feels a lot less than a 1,700mph bullet... 55

I think he was just lucky...
Three days before the "incident" I had bought a thin Kevlar vest from a fellow biker who was selling his stuff and moving back to the States. It was cool in the mountains and that is why I was wearing the vest under my regular bike jacket. It ultimately saved me from a far worse injury. I've still got the bullet the doctor took out of my back, and the jacket and vest with the holes in them. And yes, I WAS very lucky. Had I been hit in the back of the neck I would be dead. It was just an odd combination of events that caused the incident. However, I did make sure that in the future that I had a valid driver's license, a properly registered bike, and up to date license and insurance.

I don't blame the police. To them I could have been just another drug runner up at the border. There was no way of telling that I was a white farang tourist.