Thai dual pricing and other prejudices.

sidvicious

Richard Barrow has been addressing this a lot on his fb page lately.
Dual pricing and blatant racism against foreigners seems to be getting worse.

Stillearly

Duel pricing doesn't bother me , have been with expats that have Thai driving licences etc and they have paid the local price , whilst I paid the tourist .... lots of places around the world locals can get discounts , not just Thailand

if a restaurant doesn't want to serve you , then fcuk them .. if I don't feel welcome in a place then I would vote with my feet

OZZYGUY

Its not just Thai.

I get a giggle when my wife gets Thai prices, normally at parks and entrance fees.

MarcTwoSix

Duel pricing doesn't bother me , have been with expats that have Thai driving licences etc and they have paid the local price , whilst I paid the tourist .... lots of places around the world locals can get discounts , not just Thailand

if a restaurant doesn't want to serve you , then fcuk them .. if I don't feel welcome in a place then I would vote with my feet
Exactly.
Who gives a shit

And maybe, I don't know.....some foreigner walking in with a video shooting may turn up some noses??

People just want to get their asses kissed in Thailand and when they don't they whine

Minder

Its not just Thai.

I get a giggle when my wife gets Thai prices, normally at parks and entrance fees.
I used to get a laugh out of the local Balinese saying something hostile to Mrs M - thinking she was a local girl whoring with some fat tourist - then turning red with embarrassment realising she was Thai - embarrassment that I would gleefully compound by throwing in my few words of Bhasa to imply I had understood their slur.

As to double pricing the most blatant I have seen were in Queenstown New Zealand.

RakThai

Richard Barrow has been addressing this a lot on his fb page lately.
Dual pricing and blatant racism against foreigners seems to be getting worse.

First off, I am amazed how polite he was treated!
Don't think you would have had that kind of treatment in any restaurant in the west, coming in pointing a camera in staff's face, arguing the restaurant's policy and demanding to speak to the owner..

Second, Thailand surely has racism! Ever wonder why you don't see Thai men in the beer bars, hotels exclusively farang, etc.?
Traditionally, bars, restaurants and hotels in Thailand cater to a certain clientele, Thai, Farang, Japanese, Arab.. It's business model more then racism..

Third, discrimination on the basis of health risks is NOT racism!
Almost all countries in the world now have restrictions for foreigners due to Covid.
Thailand in itself is Covid free, so it's plain true that foreigners are the risk-factor for new spread (although the risk is minimal if people follow the 2 week quarantine rule).
On Thai TV they see the western behavior in tourist places like Spain and Florida and this leads to association / fear between westerners and Covid.
So banning westerners ensures the sense of security for the Thai customers, and in that way is a good business policy..

Quarky

Administrator
I used to get a laugh out of the local Balinese saying something hostile to Mrs M - thinking she was a local girl whoring with some fat tourist - then turning red with embarrassment realising she was Thai - embarrassment that I would gleefully compound by throwing in my few words of Bhasa to imply I had understood their slur.

As to double pricing the most blatant I have seen were in Queenstown New Zealand.
Was it dwarf tossing?

MarcTwoSix

Don't think you would have had that kind of treatment in any restaurant in the west, coming in pointing a camera in staff's face, arguing the restaurant's policy and demanding to speak to the owner..

Second, Thailand surely has racism! Ever wonder why you don't see Thai men in the beer bars, hotels exclusively farang, etc.?
Traditionally, bars, restaurants and hotels in Thailand cater to a certain clientele, Thai, Farang, Japanese, Arab.. It's business model more then racism..

Almost all countries in the world now have restrictions for foreigners due to Covid.
Thailand in itself is Covid free, so it's plain true that foreigners are the risk-factor for new spread (although the risk is minimal if people follow the 2 week quarantine rule).
On Thai TV they see the western behavior in tourist places like Spain and Florida and this leads to association / fear between westerners and Covid.
So banning westerners ensures the sense of security for the Thai customers, and in that way is a good business policy..
Any foreigner in Thailand would almost certainly be a resident

sidvicious

But he is a resident and they are not having many new cases.
If that's the case then it should be done uniformly and not by only a few establishments.
I am surprised many on here think nothing of it when most expats over there think it is wrong.

MarcTwoSix

But he is a resident and they are not having many new cases.
If that's the case then it should be done uniformly and not by only a few establishments.
I am surprised many on here think nothing of it when most expats over there think it is wrong.
Most expats are cheap as shit too, so that plays into it 5555

By the way a lot of Thai expats have shrugged at Asians getting accosted all over the world throughout this pandemic
So they can hardly whine about being turned away at a restaurant for being a foreigner

Minder

Watching the video it is clearly a business decision - same with things like Soi Thaniya in Patpong that only serves Japs - up to them - and frankly I support their right to run their business how they see fit whether it makes them a fortune or sends them broke.

MarcTwoSix

Watching the video it is clearly a business decision - same with things like Soi Thaniya in Patpong that only serves Japs - up to them - and frankly I support their right to run their business how they see fit whether it makes them a fortune or sends them broke.
I wonder what would happen if a foreigner rocked up with their Thai wife

Minder

I wonder what would happen if a foreigner rocked up with their Thai wife
I'd be very surprised if they didn't serve both ...I think if the local vouched for you, it would be okay ...... kinda like allowing your dog, Quincy in with you ... except in this example it's you and me who are Quincy 555.

MarcTwoSix

I'd be very surprised if they didn't serve both ...I think if the local vouched for you, it would be okay ...... kinda like allowing your dog, Quincy in with you ... except in this example it's you and me who are Quincy 555.
They let Quincy sit at the bar at a very high end restaurant in Whistler

Will they give you and I seats in Thailand at least? 5555

20200721_191225.jpg